Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Installed rear main seal too deep?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Installed rear main seal too deep?

Hello Civicforum!

After I installed my new rear main seal(attached photos), I felt doubt that I did not do it right because I have flushed it too deep, that in the Helms book that there should be a 0.5-0.8mm clearance inbetween? Im not sure though.

Do I need to redo it again, start from the scratch and reinstall?

Is there a shoulder to keep the rear main from bring too deep?

Is anyone has done this that installed the rear main seal with no clearance inbetween inside the crank, that has no issue after they installed it too deep?

Need an opinion on this.

Thank you in advance!!!

Elfred
Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Installed rear main seal too deep?

Technically it’s not going to make a difference if the crank is perfect.
The inner seal lip is now on a spot that it wasn’t before, if that spot has a nick or buildup on it you will end up with seepage. That’s generally why it’s ideal to put it back in the exact same spot.

More than once I have deliberately installed a seal backwards after previous “repair” gouged the crankshaft resulting in leaks.
Had a Chevy once where we ended up cutting seal so it was 1/4 as thick and used the cut one and a full one to double seal. (Still slowly seeped but stopped dripping)

Seems if your never taught the right way to do it, people use screwdrivers and a hammer to remove and install a seal.

Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Installed rear main seal too deep?

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Technically it’s not going to make a difference if the crank is perfect.
The inner seal lip is now on a spot that it wasn’t before, if that spot has a nick or buildup on it you will end up with seepage. That’s generally why it’s ideal to put it back in the exact same spot.

More than once I have deliberately installed a seal backwards after previous “repair” gouged the crankshaft resulting in leaks.
Had a Chevy once where we ended up cutting seal so it was 1/4 as thick and used the cut one and a full one to double seal. (Still slowly seeped but stopped dripping)

Seems if your never taught the right way to do it, people use screwdrivers and a hammer to remove and install a seal.

Ok Awesome Thank You!!!

ELfred