Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

After headgasket code troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chsmith417 is an unknown quantity at this point
After headgasket code troubles!

Hey guys,
So a few weeks back I did the head gasket on my 02 EX.. Replaced everything on the way out.. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, coils, plugs, crank pully etc... I got it back together and was getting P0335 for crank position sensor so went back in and replaced the sensor (brand new denso) fired it back up and still had P0335 an in addition had P1129, P0505 and P1505.. Checked the pig tail for the crank position sensor and I had 12V had ground but didnt have 5V so I bought a new pigtail and spliced it in now I have all previously mentioned codes as well as P1773.

So to recap I currently have 5 codes
P1129
P0335
P1773
P0505
P1505

The car runs fairly well, although when I reach 3500 RPMs in any gear the rev limiter kicks in and i have to let off the gas for a minute in order to change gears.. Also when accelerating I have a clank that sounds like a motor that is dangerously low on oil, which makes me feel like maybe my timing is off a smidge, but ive checked and rechecked the marks and everything looks on point to me, the only other drivability issue I experience on occasion is complete lack of power when accelerating from a complete stop, but if I shut the car off amd start it again that will go away, this is only a recent issue which I'm guessing is a symptom of the P1773 code.

At this point I'm tearing my hair out because i have sunk alot of money into this car putting it back together (aside from the headgasket and timing rebuild, i did struts on all 4 corners, all new motor mounts, brand new tires the list goes on and on) so im looking to throw away the book and approach these problems like ive done no diagnostic and start from scratch so im looking for help from you guys and i thank you in advanced!

Last edited by chsmith417; 10-21-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-22-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: After headgasket code troubles!

P0505 and P1505 aren't too uncommon after a head job, did you properly burp the coolant system after starting it back up?

P1129 is MAP sensor, are you sure you plugged it back in?

P0335 is also fairly common after a timing belt/head gasket job. Most common issues are non-genuine crank position sensor and dirty terminals in the connector. We recently also saw a missing tooth on the crank timing gear.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Hey thanks for the reply!

I'll go back and burp the system out again and see what happens.

I checked all my connections and everything is plugged in.

I saw the thread about the broken tooth and checked my timing gear, its good.. The sensor was replaced with a brand new denso unit, I made sure not to touch the plate or get it near any moisture while putting it on and i replaced the pigtail itself with a brand new one as well.
Old 10-22-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Here are the troubleshooting steps for P0335, run through this and see where it gets you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0335 Troubleshooting.pdf (35.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Thanks! I'll report back.