Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Please help, blinking CEL and Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve0525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help, blinking CEL and Misfires

Ok where to begin, a few days ago I ran my wiper fluid and noticed only one sprayer was working, later checked under the hood and saw the cable was broken for the other, didn't think much of it. Then yesterday I washed my car drove it back home and all was good. Last night I started my car and it was shaking on idle (not terrible but defiantly noticeable) and also my CEL was blinking. Note I've had the car for about a year and the CEL has always been on but never blinking. I looked around for an obvious loose connection of sensor, or something wet, but it was raining and very cold so I just slept on it. This morning I drove it. It's shaky on idle and sluggish, but smooth while driving, just a little sputter taking off like not enough clutch if you will. Had the codes ran at Autozone and came up random misfire, misfire cyl 2, misfire cyl 4, A/F sensor 1 heater malfunction, and electric load detector circuit high input. Mind you I don't know if these codes have been present since I had the car or just now. I changed my plugs and tossed some sea foam in the tank to possibly smooth things out and it seemed to help a little. I've been doing a lot of reading and tomorrow I'd like to try and clean my MAP and IACV and some other things to narrow down my problem, I'm starting to lean towards one of my sensors got wet and was ruined, if there's any info you think could help I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty new to cars so excuse my ignorance

By the way it's an 02 lx M/T
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

fusion158 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Please help, blinking CEL and Misfires

It's possible that it's just the IACV causing the rough idle so good idea to clean it. Could you post the actual error codes that they pulled? It will help us diagnose the problem better
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply, a little update.. I had the codes scanned again now it's giving me p0304 (cyl4 misfire), p0135 a/f sensor 1 heater system malf., and p1298 Electric load detector circuit high input.
So my random misfire and cyl 2 misfire (p0300 and p0302) went away but I don't know if its fixed, the shaky-ness is better but I hear/feel pulsing at idle and still have poor response upon takeoff, I'm currently driving the car even with cel flashing, it's not jerky like a typical misfire... Any other info would be great. How do I locate and clean the IAVC
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

DONT drive it with a misfire, your going to destroy the engine/cat.

Looks like you have more then one problem there.
Did you unplug things and set some codes off yourself?

Swap coils and see if the misfire follows.
What plugs did you use? Perhaps the wrong ones?
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

I didn't mess with anything to throw a code, the plugs are denso... Things are better since I changed the plugs and added fuel injector cleaner... It's not running THAT rough so I'm trying to drive it to help let the cleaner do some work... It's gotta be dirty injectors or a dirty sensor... Just don't really know where to start
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Just to be clear the misfire codes went away or what?

What codes are left?
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

I had a random misfire, cyl 2 misfire and cyl 4 misfire code (p0300, 302, and 304)
Now I just have cyl 4 misfire...

So currently I have p0304, p0135, and p1298

Update... After some advise I took it to a friend of my dads shop... He said he would look it over and call me tomorrow... Ill keep you posted
Old 02-21-2013
Registered!!

Ok, let us know whats up.

Swapping a coil pack would of been my next move though.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

DeamonG37S is an unknown quantity at this point

inspect your exhaust manifold mine had a crack the other day and i got the same symptoms.
Check out this thread https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-blinking.html

gl
Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

DeamonG37S is an unknown quantity at this point

OP can you update us with what happened?