Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

CHECK Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeamonG37S is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation CHECK Light Blinking

Hey guys,

I first wanna apologize by stating this is my first post here, and unfortunatly its a Help Thread. I have a 2001 Civic SI ive had it since 2003, got some mods on it such as Megan Headers, Megan CB, Mugen Front Lip, AEM Cold Air.

I have the coolant issue, where it overheats, blows cold air through the heater. The coolant did overflow from the resorvoir maybe a year ago. The infamous head gasket. So i did the quick fix approach and just added coolant to the rad since. Ive tried replacing the cap nothing. I keep adding coolant and syphining it from the resorvoir back to the rad. Also the power steering belt squeaks from time to time.

Yesterday the car abrubtly started jerking violently and CHECK was blinking. Idle was rough, Pop noise once in a while, acceleration was rough at low rpm but better in higher range after 3500rpm running smooth. I havent had a chance to bring it in to check the obdII code.

I did manage to bring it home and do a quick tune up, change oil/filter, clean intake. I did a inspection under the car and found no leaks or any visible damage. From the engine bay i noticed the noise/rough idle coming from the bottom of the headers even a slight leak of exhaust i put my hand their and i can feel the heat blowing as the engine idled a rough idle, could the leak be from the headers to the cats? Or do i need a head gasket?

Any insight of this problem is appreciated, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: CHECK Light Blinking

yes it definitely sounds like you need a new head gasket
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

So all that jerking is from the HG. Did i do damage by driving it home? Also is replacing it easy or pita? How much $ am i looking at here. thx
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

From reading all the info here def sounds like hg. But most ppl changed it b4 they got my the violent jerking and rough idle. Could it be more than just a hg?
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

no, the jerking is probably not from the HG, but the HG would be a good place to start, while you have it all apart you can inspect alot of other things, timing etc

is the CEL on?.....if so, find out what the code is
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

Found the problem, the headers cracked one cylinder underneath. Its a small crack under the manifold on the last cylinder. Damn i threw out my stocks headers. Can it be fixed with an exhaust patch kit? It was -10c/14f the day it happened. Winter is rough on our cars.

I can get a pic if requested.

Last edited by DeamonG37S; 02-22-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

do you mean the header is cracked or the head is cracked?

if its the header, just take it off and have somebody weld it
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Yes the Megan headers Ive installed have a hair line crack about 2 inches long. I bought Permatex Exhaust Repair Kit gonna try a quick fix only cost me 10 bucks. The headers are Stainless Steel. I think water/snow splashed on the headers and caused the crack. Ive had the headers for about 7 years or so, they are alot less restrictive than stock set-up. Each cylinder bore is a 1/4 inch bigger than OEM. I will eventually weld it if necessary but for now gonna try this solution.

Gonna try the repair kit today, will post results to see if this product works. Hopefully make this thread into a fix and review for others. If anyone has tips on using this product would be nice to chime in...

Glad it wasnt something more serious. Phew...
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

getting it welded will be stronger, and probably wont cost you much more than the kit you bought, but your choice,
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

I have to pull them out so trying a temporary band aid till nicer weather comes. I already wd-40'ed the bolts lol.