Air Conditioning Post your questions about air conditioning here!

2017 Civic 1.5 AC Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wvhiker is an unknown quantity at this point
2017 Civic 1.5 AC Issue

Now before I get too far into this I know the AC systems in these cars is not good. My wife's 2017 civic's AC system started going out then completely failed. Took it to the dealership and said it may be condensor. If it wasn't they were going to charge me for checking. Also if anything else went bad they would replace it for $$$$ (not under warranty.) So I decided I would replace everything myself. I put in a new condenser, compressor, high pressure switch and new orings for all of the connections. bought the gauge set and compressor. Pulled a negative pressure on system and let it set for 45 minutes. No movement on gauges so I ran the compressor for another 45 minutes to dry out the lines. Started installing the 1234YF and it went slowly. got one can in (8oz) and started on another and still going slowly. Compressor (main ac) was not kicking on so I thought, well the sensor is not letting it kick on. So I removed the relay and jumped the compressor and it engaged the clutch and the 1234 went in a little faster, almost (maybe another full can less 1 or 2 ounces). Now here's my issue and notes:
I believe I have done everything by the book. Parts bought were identical to what was removed, new sensors in place, evac entire system and applied correct coolant. I have replaced the ac relay (twice) and the ac fuse, even checked the one under the dash. When I jumped the relay for filling the ac system I used a water hose to keep the condenser cool. After the second can of 1234 I buttoned everything up, replaced relay and nothing. Compressor not turning. A note here as when I jumped the relay and the ac compressor was turning I still wasn't getting any cold air inside, and I did have the ac on full. Another note is that I haven't notice the condenser fans working and wondered if there was a relay for them. I checked the fuse there and it is OK but I replaced it anyway. I thought I put in the appropriate amount of coolant. And the fans have me baffled too. I am at my wits end on the car.
Sorry for the length but I wanted to give as much info as I could.
Old 09-02-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 2017 Civic 1.5 AC Issue

I'm going to start off with a note, I've never messed with a 1234YF system. Everything I say is based off knowledge of R134a systems. I honestly thought a normal consumer was not able to purchase 1234yf unless it was just ungodly expensive.

Originally Posted by wvhiker
I ran the compressor for another 45 minutes to dry out the lines.
Do you mean you the A/C compressor or the vacuum pump? I hope you didn't run the new A/C compressor for 45 minutes with no charge in the system. I can't imagine that being good for the compressor.

Originally Posted by wvhiker
When I jumped the relay for filling the ac system
At least with R134a that's not necessary. The pressure from the can is enough to reach the low pressure sensor requirement allowing the compressor to enable. I again don't think running the compressor with no charge is good for it.
Old 09-05-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wvhiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2017 Civic 1.5 AC Issue

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
I'm going to start off with a note, I've never messed with a 1234YF system. Everything I say is based off knowledge of R134a systems. I honestly thought a normal consumer was not able to purchase 1234yf unless it was just ungodly expensive. Yep, anyone can buy it. Luckily my wife works for a company that gets discounts from certain stores and auto parts is one of them. It is really expensive.

Do you mean you the A/C compressor or the vacuum pump? I hope you didn't run the new A/C compressor for 45 minutes with no charge in the system. I can't imagine that being good for the compressor.
No I ran the pump not the AC compressor

At least with R134a that's not necessary. The pressure from the can is enough to reach the low pressure sensor requirement allowing the compressor to enable. I again don't think running the compressor with no charge is good for it.
It had some charge in it before I jumped the relay, didn't run it dry. I am at a loss.