Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your questions about safety items such as anti-theft systems (Keys), airbags, etc Some

Alarm going off ?reason

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lizzie4077 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alarm going off ?reason

Hi all,

I have a 2019 Honda civic, past 2 nights at 930pm the alarm and lights go off when it it parked up. No one near the car, nothing in side to trigger it. After going off twice, the only option to keep the peace with my neighbours was to disconnect the battery. Next day, reconnected and alarm went off again around 930pm again. Same situation, nothing around the car, no one inside or trying to open the doors. No obvious fault codes. Has had a new battery fitted 2 months ago as the origianal was faulty but it has had multiple long drives since this time. Honda have no answer and wish to charge me £50 for diagnostic tests which I am not keen on paying for. Runs fine. Anyone come across issues like this? Willing to try anything to stop it going off!
Old 07-23-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Alarm going off ?reason

The only time I've had a car alarm go off for no reason was on a very humid/dewy morning with a battery that was on it's way out.

Your car is still under warranty so if you complain enough they may waive the diagnostic fee.
Old 07-23-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Why does your dealer want to charge you fees for work covered under warranty? Seems weird to me.

I'm not sure if dealer equipment over there is the same as we have in the US, but over here the dealer level scanner can display what item(s) caused the most recent alarm events (unless the battery has been disconnected or dead, that erases the event history data)
Old 07-24-2020
Registered!!

Many dealers will try to charge....make some money! I do have breakdown cover though and they can do a scan on it for me.

Yesterday was a small result....I took the car out for a drive, came back and disabled the internal alarm system that detects movement.....no car alarm last night! Maybe this was the trouble. Will update as things continue....
Old 07-24-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and disabled the internal alarm system that detects movement
So that is not a factory equipped alarm?
Fees are appropriate if it is not factory equipment.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-27-2020
Registered!!

It is, comes as standard on the SE civic. It's standard factory issue, there's a button above the gear stick on the roof that turns it off
Old 10-29-2020
Registered!!

Here is an update for anyone who is interested.
As well as the alarm the car developed a fault with its start stop. After complaining again to the dealership they reviewed the car.
Turns out there is something putting excessive drain on the battery (yet to be determined) they think this is triggering the alarm circuit and making it go off so randomly. As an 18 month old car it is already on its second battery and now needs a third. Hopefully will be fixed over next few days.....