Interior Post your questions about interior parts here! Seats, consoles, etc

2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gregory Tasonis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

My 2016 Civic has been doing the same thing for a couple of months and the Newnan, GA dealership just gave me the same $3300 steering rack replacement diagnosis. I didn't have to go out of my way to demonstrate the problem. The defect has obviously been communicated to the Honda network. Unfortunately I'm 6 months and 7K miles out of warranty so Honda was sorry but there was nothing they could do to help with the repair. This is a design flaw, not a wear and tear issue. No car should have to have the entire PS rack replaced after 40K miles...Honda should be stepping up to fix this. Rant off...lol.

Filed a complaint with the NHTSA

Last edited by Gregory Tasonis; 10-26-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: adding NHTSA complaint
Old 11-18-2019
Registered!!

Gregory Tasonis is an unknown quantity at this point

UPDATE: Honda of Newnan communicated with Honda, and I'm responsible for $1200 out of the total cost. Have to give HON kudos for pursuing this on my behalf.
Old 03-26-2020
Registered!!

DannyBoy2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just purchased a 2016 Civic EX in January with 66k miles on it. Just noticed this same problem within the past two weeks. Have reached out to Honda and created a case, as well as went to NHTSA and filled out a complaint as well. Don't have $3,000 to get this fixed, hoping that with enough of us creating complaints a recall may happen in the future. Until then, will just have to be safe with it and be aware of it and hopefully it doesn't get worse.
Old 11-22-2020
Registered!!

Arro is an unknown quantity at this point

The ambient temperature DOES seem to make a difference. I never get the notchy steering when the temperature is below 71.
Old 11-22-2020
Registered!!

Kbacon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arro
The ambient temperature DOES seem to make a difference. I never get the notchy steering when the temperature is below 71.
I agree. I haven’t noticed the issue since the weather got cooler here in Georgia.
Old 04-05-2021
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sect is an unknown quantity at this point

Same issue on a 2018 CRV. Started before a long drive to Florida and continued the whole trip, then suddenly stopped a week later for no reason I can fathom.

Took the car in to the dealer and described the issue. I was pulling up this very forum post when the girl assisting me said "How funny, its already right here on my browser. The person who came in before you had the same problem and pulled up the same forum and this youtube video." Amazing.

Of course the tech told me it was nothing, he cannot re-create the issue and blames it on a low battery. I asked how my battery is low after a 5 hour drive to Florida, and for battery tests which all showed up just fine. They still refuse to investigate further but did charge me $200 for diagnostics on a car still under warranty. Even with two people reporting it the same day. To be clear, I expected this.

I'm in it for the long haul I guess. I've got a log book open, a case number with Honda corporate, and will follow all of your advice until it happens again. Thanks so much to all of your for this, your posts really do help random strangers on the internet. I'll let ya know how it goes!
The following users liked this post:
sdaidoji (04-05-2021)
Old 07-10-2021
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dogboneblues is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbworks
Bought my civic last year, been driving for almost an year. Currently I have 18,000 Miles. The problem started about a month ago when I noticed that the steering wheel would start being sticky. The power steering worked fine but for subtle movements, it would cause resistance.
This was not frequent but the problem would show up occasionally and so far it has occurred 6 times.

My dealership is not able to duplicate it. So they are not able to do anything about it. I was really hopeful when I had the problem, someone from Honda Services would take a look but the wait was horrible and by the time we went for a drive the magnitude of the problem was so minimal.

​​My dealership here is very accommodating, unfortunately the problem occurs when I am driving by myself. I was given loaner while they were checking it out. The loaner happened to be the same make and model. I have not noticed this issue and the steering wheel is smoother and better (just like how it was before the problem started).
​​​​​​Anybody else facing this issue?

I have created a video of the issue with some comparison. You will have to look at the video carefully. However, I think you have to be behind the driver's seat to feel this resistance.

The resistance makes it difficult to change lanes, as it feels like a force is acting in opposite direction and it takes more to make subtle movements.

Video:
https://youtu.be/w5x_CaVHXmM

Thanks in advance

D
Just bought used 2016 EXL at 54000 miles. At 60+ mph I notice a sudden power steering “fade” directly at the middle. Slight curve to one side or the other will suddenly release back pressure resulting In oversteering. Happens in either direction and is quite unnerving.
The following users liked this post:
Ronvorndam (08-04-2021)
Old 07-18-2021
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogboneblues
Just bought used 2016 EXL at 54000 miles. At 60+ mph I notice a sudden power steering “fade” directly at the middle. Slight curve to one side or the other will suddenly release back pressure resulting In oversteering. Happens in either direction and is quite unnerving.

Just bought Just bought Just bought
Might be a pile of features you aren't aware of
New features to learn about.
Get into the owners manual (paper in glovebox or online). Read up on the driving support systems first.

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Lane Keep Support Function

Turn off the systems on your car then see how it drives
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

Ronvorndam is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2016 Honda Civic Touring with 110,000 miles with a steering wheel that "sticks" during normal driving. When the car begins to drift and attempting to correct, the steering wheel resists. It doesn't lock up or not turn at all, but "sticks" until I apply a bit more pressure, after which it suddenly releases, corrects (usually over steers). This does not cause issues with any turning once the steering wheel is unstuck. This happens in both directions. End result is I begin drifting slightly back and forth down the highway repeatedly (due to the over steer when the steering wheel releases), all the while fighting with a steering wheel.

I was able to get this to recreate for the dealer. The made adjustments to the electronic steering module which helped slightly, but this issue still exists. I was told I have to replace the power steering rack. That is about $3000 for parts and $1000 for labor/front end alignment since this is not under warranty any longer. I am told the part is on back order and is estimated to arrive at the dealer in over 2 months! Meanwhile, I am stuck with a vehicle I do not feel safe to drive.

I did notice it got better as well one day after it rained. Don't know what the rain would have done to solve the sticking steering wheel though.

Reported this issue to the NHTSA as well.
Old 09-28-2021
Registered!!

julianlopez24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheDreamX
Joined this forum to follow any updates that might be shared. My 2016 Civic just started exhibiting the exact same issue two weeks back and it freaked me out. Brought the car to the dealer yesterday. Here's the story:

Drove about 40 minutes before arriving, which was plenty of time for the sticking to crop up normally. But, of course, it didn't. I have a theory on this, more below. Anyway, the tech could not witness it. Following the test drive, I mentioned this forum and the possibility of a power steering issue. After which, the tech left to check with the "national Honda registry". He claimed that they had not heard of such an issue. Just to cover all the bases, he double checked on the power steering rack itself and found that not a single dealer had ever placed an order for such a part and, therefore, found it unlikely to be the issue. He didn't dispute that I felt anything, but seemed convinced it was something else. You guys did actually have this part replaced by the dealer, correct?

Anyway, I'm gong to keep trying to get them to witness the problem. My guess as to why it failed to happen yesterday has to do with the outside temperature. The day before I went to the dealer, the stickiness was unbearable, happening every few seconds. It was also 85+ outside. The first two times I felt it, the temp was also above 80. Yesterday, it was 65. Does that jive with anyone else's experience?
I have been noticing the same issue in my car. I live in PA, and bought my car in October2020 (it is a 2016 Civic Ex model). I noticed the issue appears when the temperature goes above 60F. After I bought my car and evidenced the problem, winter came, the temperature dropped and the issue disappeared. Now in 2021 the problem came back during the summer, I have not had time to take it to Honda, but I will try to update when I do. I have a warranty extension that hopefully will cover it.
Old 06-18-2022
Registered!!

wellsjrka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbworks
Bought my civic last year, been driving for almost an year. Currently I have 18,000 Miles. The problem started about a month ago when I noticed that the steering wheel would start being sticky. The power steering worked fine but for subtle movements, it would cause resistance.
This was not frequent but the problem would show up occasionally and so far it has occurred 6 times.

My dealership is not able to duplicate it. So they are not able to do anything about it. I was really hopeful when I had the problem, someone from Honda Services would take a look but the wait was horrible and by the time we went for a drive the magnitude of the problem was so minimal.

​​My dealership here is very accommodating, unfortunately the problem occurs when I am driving by myself. I was given loaner while they were checking it out. The loaner happened to be the same make and model. I have not noticed this issue and the steering wheel is smoother and better (just like how it was before the problem started).
​​​​​​Anybody else facing this issue?

I have created a video of the issue with some comparison. You will have to look at the video carefully. However, I think you have to be behind the driver's seat to feel this resistance.

The resistance makes it difficult to change lanes, as it feels like a force is acting in opposite direction and it takes more to make subtle movements.

Video:
https://youtu.be/w5x_CaVHXmM

Thanks in advance

D
I have a 2016 Touring with the exact issue as you described. I am just now starting to try and get info. The car is car for excellently and has 99000 miles. Have you learned any more?
Old 08-16-2022
Registered!!

Msvillainess is an unknown quantity at this point

This all sounds like the problem I'm having with my ExT except it only happens when I'm going over like 45-50, but it happens every time. I feel like I'm gonna get pulled over for dui when it's just the damn steering.
Old 07-23-2023
Registered!!

zivkam is an unknown quantity at this point

Just started experiencing this on my 2017 EX-T with 85k miles and no sensing. Road trip down 35 to San Antonio in the summer. Only feel it on the highway. Reporting to Honda corp.
Old 09-16-2023
Registered!!

moonafari is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Unbelievable! I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread, but I have had the exact same issue with my 2016 Civic (Touring trim). I bought it used in 2018, noticed the problem right away & complained to the dealership repeatedly. I even took in a couple of articles that mentioned this problem, but they did not describe it as thoroughly as this. The dealership denied ever having heard of the issue at all, and, of course, could not recreate it. I had several friends drive it and give me their opinion, but they all said I was just not used to nice tight steering. I finally gave up & decided that I was just imagining things. I wish there was something I could do after all this time because it's a great little car but this really makes it unpleasant to drive.