Interior Post your questions about interior parts here! Seats, consoles, etc

2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dbworks is an unknown quantity at this point
2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Bought my civic last year, been driving for almost an year. Currently I have 18,000 Miles. The problem started about a month ago when I noticed that the steering wheel would start being sticky. The power steering worked fine but for subtle movements, it would cause resistance.
This was not frequent but the problem would show up occasionally and so far it has occurred 6 times.

My dealership is not able to duplicate it. So they are not able to do anything about it. I was really hopeful when I had the problem, someone from Honda Services would take a look but the wait was horrible and by the time we went for a drive the magnitude of the problem was so minimal.

​​My dealership here is very accommodating, unfortunately the problem occurs when I am driving by myself. I was given loaner while they were checking it out. The loaner happened to be the same make and model. I have not noticed this issue and the steering wheel is smoother and better (just like how it was before the problem started).
​​​​​​Anybody else facing this issue?

I have created a video of the issue with some comparison. You will have to look at the video carefully. However, I think you have to be behind the driver's seat to feel this resistance.

The resistance makes it difficult to change lanes, as it feels like a force is acting in opposite direction and it takes more to make subtle movements.

Video:
https://youtu.be/w5x_CaVHXmM

Thanks in advance

D
Old 06-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Viewed. I can see it.
IDK what the issue is, but I can 'see' what you are feeling in the steering wheel.

Have you taken it to the dealer WHILE the problem is acting up just so someone can witness the issue and verify it is an issue?

I'd probably try checking for EPS fault codes, first step.

If no joy, I'd use the scan tool re-initialize EPS sensors: steering angle/neutral position/torque sensor. Test drive it.

If problem is still present then I'd want to check for a mechanical binding issue, so I'd disconnect the EPS column from the steering rack and see if the steering wheel is still acting wrong. And make sure the rack moves smoothly.
I probably wouldn't expect a mechanical issue with the rack, because you indicate this is more of a random occurrence rather than happening all the time. Leads me to think it's likely something in the column and EPS assembly causing the issue.

Has this car had the recall for the parking brake and VSA completed?
Did this problem begin shortly after that was done?
Old 06-05-2017
Registered!!

Yes, was at the dealer half a day and after several test drives, they finally saw it. As a precaution, I called Honda Corporate and have a case open, they are keep an close eye on it through the dealer. At this point, I am just waiting for the dealer to confirm the part and what they think is wrong.
However, I am relieved that the dealer has seen it and acknowledged it.

They did check for EPS codes - found none. Thank you for the insight into the EPS workings. Will come handy in my future discussions on this case.

Yes - VSA and Brake Recall Fix.
And DANG! I did not think about it. Yes, the problem did occur after the fix. I am not sure if this may be related but man I am amazed at your reasoning . I will definitely mention that to the dealer.

Thank you again. I will update this post as soon as I find out what was replaced and if that solved the problem.

Originally Posted by ezone
Viewed. I can see it.
IDK what the issue is, but I can 'see' what you are feeling in the steering wheel.

Have you taken it to the dealer WHILE the problem is acting up just so someone can witness the issue and verify it is an issue?

I'd probably try checking for EPS fault codes, first step.

If no joy, I'd use the scan tool re-initialize EPS sensors: steering angle/neutral position/torque sensor. Test drive it.

If problem is still present then I'd want to check for a mechanical binding issue, so I'd disconnect the EPS column from the steering rack and see if the steering wheel is still acting wrong. And make sure the rack moves smoothly.
I probably wouldn't expect a mechanical issue with the rack, because you indicate this is more of a random occurrence rather than happening all the time. Leads me to think it's likely something in the column and EPS assembly causing the issue.

Has this car had the recall for the parking brake and VSA completed?
Did this problem begin shortly after that was done?
Old 06-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And DANG! I did not think about it. Yes, the problem did occur after the fix. I am not sure if this may be related but man I am amazed at your reasoning . I will definitely mention that to the dealer.
I only mentioned it because I wondered what might happen if a tech forgot part of an initialization procedure during the recall work.

The timing of the problem is probably just coincidence and completely unrelated to the recall work though. Crap happens.
Update with a fix when they nail it down.
Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

I mentioned the update and initialization and the customer representative had no clue. However, I was told yesterday that they (the dealer) was unable to diagnose the issue and they engaged the Honda Tech Line (some sort of technical group in the nation with experts from Honda) and were instructed to replace the power steering rack ( part # 5360-TBA-A01. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-tba-a01.html ). All covered under warranty.
Old 06-07-2017

so I'd disconnect the EPS column from the steering rack and see if the steering wheel is still acting wrong. And make sure the rack moves smoothly.
I just realized I was thinking of the wrong cars when I wrote this... I was thinking of a Fit instead of a Civic. Probably thinking I was on the Fit forum instead of the Civic forum. Oh well.

Ya, Civic has the EPS rack so that's definitely suspect.

Fit uses an EPS column with plain manual rack.
Old 06-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLcardio is an unknown quantity at this point

Made an account just to follow this thread as I started having this exact same issue over the last few weeks. Not all the time, but intermittently will notice that the wheel tends to stick after it's been still for a couple seconds and I need to apply more force to make a small adjustment, despite having LKAS on or off. I have noticed that the problem also seems to affect LKAS as when it's on the LKAS system seems to struggle to make the small adjustements as well and the car will veer around more in the lane because of overadjustment when the wheel "gives way".

Just took it the dealership but of course it wasn't acting up at the time and no error codes were found.

Let us know if they find anything specific.
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

zman36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbworks
I mentioned the update and initialization and the customer representative had no clue. However, I was told yesterday that they (the dealer) was unable to diagnose the issue and they engaged the Honda Tech Line (some sort of technical group in the nation with experts from Honda) and were instructed to replace the power steering rack ( part # 5360-TBA-A01. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-tba-a01.html ). All covered under warranty.

My 2016 Civic LX has this EXACT ISSUE! Has this been resolved and if so, what was the solution. I brought mine in a few months ago but they were not able to reproduce the issue. It is now occurring much more frequently... especially at higher speeds.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 07-12-2017

Originally Posted by zman36
My 2016 Civic LX has this EXACT ISSUE! Has this been resolved and if so, what was the solution. I brought mine in a few months ago but they were not able to reproduce the issue. It is now occurring much more frequently... especially at higher speeds.

Thanks in Advance!
Visit your dealership service department again. Take the tech for a quick ride so he can witness and experience your complaint with you.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Mine is fixed and now works like new. They replaced the complete part. Honda Tech Line Instructed my dealer to replace the power steering rack ( part # 53560-TBA-A01. ). All was covered under warranty so did not have to pay. However, it took several trips back to the dealer to prove it and for them to witness it. Be patient with the techs and keep going back. Try to go when the problem starts. Now here is probably the most important thing that may help you. I HAD TO KEEP MY CAR RUNNING WHEN I FOUND THE PROBLEM. DID NOT TURN IT OFF AT THE PARKING LOT WAITING FOR THE TECH. THE PROBLEM DID NOT GO AWAY. NOT SURE IF THIS WILL HELP IN YOUR CASE. BUT WORTH THE TRY TO PROVE THE PROBLEM EXISTS.

Last edited by dbworks; 07-13-2017 at 06:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tmking1150 (09-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Mine is fixed and now works like new. They replaced the complete part. Honda Tech Line Instructed my dealer to replace the power steering rack ( part # 53560-TBA-A01. ). All was covered under warranty so did not have to pay. However, it took several trips back to the dealer to prove it and for them to witness it. Be patient with the techs and keep going back. Try to go when the problem starts. Now here is probably the most important thing that may help you. I HAD TO KEEP MY CAR RUNNING WHEN I FOUND THE PROBLEM. DID NOT TURN IT OFF AT THE PARKING LOT WAITING FOR THE TECH. THE PROBLEM DID NOT GO AWAY. NOT SURE IF THIS WILL HELP IN YOUR CASE. BUT WORTH THE TRY TO PROVE THE PROBLEM EXISTS.
Thank you SO MUCH! I will definitely keep it running and will not turn it off. It never happens when I first start the car up and only occurs after driving for awhile. Not sure if that was the same for you or not.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Thank you SO MUCH! I will definitely keep it running and will not turn it off. It never happens when I first start the car up and only occurs after driving for awhile. Not sure if that was the same for you or not.
Yes, Exactly the same. I drive 30 miles to work and and back and takes about 30 minutes. So it was usually when I am on the road for at least 25 minutes into my commute. Usually this was not bothering me because I usually reach my destination. However, on weekends when I drove longer distances, the problem was more evident.

When I first went to the Dealership, I was told nothing is wrong. I tried to convince them that it happens after a long drive. They asked me to bring it in when the problem occurs, well I am usually not simply driving around trying to get the problem to come up. But after 3 trips to the dealership with two of them doing a test drive and not able to show them the problem, I applied for leave at my job, instead of driving to work, simply drove around running some errands and the problem started. Then I called my dealership and told them that I will be coming and this time please have a tech ready. They told me that they cannot guarantee the tech availability.

As I arrived, there was a long wait. My car must have been running for 2 hours before I got a tech (not sure why I did not turn off, was very anxious and did not want the problem to go away and believed that it would stay if I did not turn off).

Meanwhile I waited, was posting to this forum and someone in the forum had called Honda for some other issue so I also called the Corporate Honda Technical Support and created a case. They immediately called the dealership and started following the case. They were not of any help other than that, they were putting pressure on the dealership to do extensive test drives.

After waiting for 2 hours, finally got a tech to witness it however he was at the end of shift (What a bad timing). So I requested the manager to take it for a test drive. He did and they asked me to wait for a call. I got a call next morning confirming that they had witnessed the problem and that the Honda Tech Line (bunch of Honda Tech who discuss such unexplained problems) had instructed them to replace the EPS rack assembly. I immediately asked for the part# and was surprised that they were going to replace the complete Power Steering Assembly (Part Number: 53650-TBC-A21) ($1300 Parts + $600 Labor) and was going to be covered under warranty.

The whole ordeal took 3 weeks, 4 trips (From day 1 - the time I got my Honda fixed). So be patient and Good luck. And also, they are supposed to provide you with a loaner. Make sure you get the same Honda Civic model / year so you can see the difference. I drove that Loaner for 1 week when my car was at the dealership and I could finally see the difference in operation.
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

Yes, Exactly the same. I drive 30 miles to work and and back and takes about 30 minutes. So it was usually when I am on the road for at least 25 minutes into my commute. Usually this was not bothering me because I usually reach my destination. However, on weekends when I drove longer distances, the problem was more evident.

When I first went to the Dealership, I was told nothing is wrong. I tried to convince them that it happens after a long drive. They asked me to bring it in when the problem occurs, well I am usually not simply driving around trying to get the problem to come up. But after 3 trips to the dealership with two of them doing a test drive and not able to show them the problem, I applied for leave at my job, instead of driving to work, simply drove around running some errands and the problem started. Then I called my dealership and told them that I will be coming and this time please have a tech ready. They told me that they cannot guarantee the tech availability.

As I arrived, there was a long wait. My car must have been running for 2 hours before I got a tech (not sure why I did not turn off, was very anxious and did not want the problem to go away and believed that it would stay if I did not turn off).

Meanwhile I waited, was posting to this forum and someone in the forum had called Honda for some other issue so I also called the Corporate Honda Technical Support and created a case. They immediately called the dealership and started following the case. They were not of any help other than that, they were putting pressure on the dealership to do extensive test drives.

After waiting for 2 hours, finally got a tech to witness it however he was at the end of shift (What a bad timing). So I requested the manager to take it for a test drive. He did and they asked me to wait for a call. I got a call next morning confirming that they had witnessed the problem and that the Honda Tech Line (bunch of Honda Tech who discuss such unexplained problems) had instructed them to replace the EPS rack assembly. I immediately asked for the part# and was surprised that they were going to replace the complete Power Steering Assembly (Part Number: 53650-TBC-A21) ($1300 Parts + $600 Labor) and was going to be covered under warranty.

The whole ordeal took 3 weeks, 4 trips (From day 1 - the time I got my Honda fixed). So be patient and Good luck. And also, they are supposed to provide you with a loaner. Make sure you get the same Honda Civic model / year so you can see the difference. I drove that Loaner for 1 week when my car was at the dealership and I could finally see the difference in operation.
Definitely the same issue. I have a 45 minute commute and happens about 30 minutes into it. I'll be sure to drive around for awhile before bringing it in and will NOT shut if off. Thanks again for all your helpful advice. I sincerely appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2017
Registered!!

dbworks... I have Great News! I brought my civic in after driving around for awhile and it happening. I then left the car running... showed the technician who was able to verify the issue. They then gave me a loaner vehicle this week. I had a call back on Monday letting me know that the car needed a new EPS Rack (I know... big shocker.. right?!). My dealer just called today letting me know my car is all set and I can pick it up. Thanks again for all your detailed info. You have really helped me and others probably as well with your detailed instructions.
Old 07-21-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for updates !!!
Old 07-28-2017
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: 2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Glad it worked out for you and happy to help.
I am having a feeling that this is an issue with most of their EPS for the CIVIC as I saw few comment on it on youtube videos. The new unit the dealer installed is the same model as the problematic one. So now I am paying more attention to it in the event it happens again.

dbworks... I have Great News! I brought my civic in after driving around for awhile and it happening. I then left the car running... showed the technician who was able to verify the issue. They then gave me a loaner vehicle this week. I had a call back on Monday letting me know that the car needed a new EPS Rack (I know... big shocker.. right?!). My dealer just called today letting me know my car is all set and I can pick it up. Thanks again for all your detailed info. You have really helped me and others probably as well with your detailed instructions.
Old 09-01-2017
Registered!!

DesertCyclist is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, Lordy! I'm glad I found this thread! I have a 2016 EX that has been exhibiting these symptoms sporadically for about two months. I notice it mostly when I'm on the highway, but then again I do mostly highway driving. It normally occurs after I've been driving 15 or 20 minutes. Suddenly the car begins to drift ever so slightly one way or another. When I go to correct, the steering wheel resists. It doesn't freeze -- nothing that extreme -- but it sort of "sticks" until I apply a bit more pressure, after which it suddenly releases, corrects, and acts completely normal. Moments later however, it drifts the opposite direction, and I am forced to repeat the same process all over again. End result is I begin drifting slightly back and forth down the highway repeatedly, all the while fighting with a steering wheel that doesn't seem to want to let go. It's maddening.

Does this describe what the rest of you experienced?

I'm due for a service appointment in the next couple of weeks; will the technicians need to experience firsthand what I describe, or can they simply examine the EPS rack assembly and see proof of an issue?

Again, so glad I found this thread!
Old 09-01-2017

will the technicians need to experience firsthand what I describe
Absolutely.
Especially if there is no warning light illuminated.
Most of us don't have time to joyride for a half hour or more wondering if something odd is going to happen.

Drive it long enough to get the car to act up, and head to the dealership.
If necessary, Leave the car running when you get there so the problem doesn't disappear.
Have the manager, advisor or technician drive it immediately to confirm the problem indeed exists. (hopefully with a good description of how you need to drive it to experience the problem quickly, like in a straight line, gradual left turn from a turn lane, that sort of thing)
Offer and be ready to go for a ride with them if necessary to demonstrate the problem
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Post Re: 2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky

Here are a few things that will help you to get the Technician and the dealership convinced.

1. Yes, they will need to see and experience the issue first hand. So make sure to have a plan to go to the dealership when the problem occurs. You can do this by first calling the dealership and getting a manager assigned (simply have his name and desk number). When the problem occurs, call the customer service manager and notify that you have the problem and headed to the dealership)

2. Keep a small log of all times/dates it occurred.

3. Call HONDA Customer Service and open a case (I did this) and it helped in two important things:
A. Now I had an official case open (They will not give you any case numbers but when you call and give the VIN number they can pull up notes)
B. The Case manager will contact the dealership and ask for status (This is good type of pressure)

3. There is a video I posted on youtube which shows the problem. I did this using the loaner they had provided me while my car was being checked out. This comparison of a car that is same model/year was a pretty good comparison. You may want to get a loner and test drive it and then test drive your car with the problem. Video:

4. Have loads of patience, talk nicely and because it is such a hit and miss to show the problem, it can be very frustrating.

Hope that helps.
D
Ronvorndam (08-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TheDreamX is an unknown quantity at this point

Joined this forum to follow any updates that might be shared. My 2016 Civic just started exhibiting the exact same issue two weeks back and it freaked me out. Brought the car to the dealer yesterday. Here's the story:

Drove about 40 minutes before arriving, which was plenty of time for the sticking to crop up normally. But, of course, it didn't. I have a theory on this, more below. Anyway, the tech could not witness it. Following the test drive, I mentioned this forum and the possibility of a power steering issue. After which, the tech left to check with the "national Honda registry". He claimed that they had not heard of such an issue. Just to cover all the bases, he double checked on the power steering rack itself and found that not a single dealer had ever placed an order for such a part and, therefore, found it unlikely to be the issue. He didn't dispute that I felt anything, but seemed convinced it was something else. You guys did actually have this part replaced by the dealer, correct?

Anyway, I'm gong to keep trying to get them to witness the problem. My guess as to why it failed to happen yesterday has to do with the outside temperature. The day before I went to the dealer, the stickiness was unbearable, happening every few seconds. It was also 85+ outside. The first two times I felt it, the temp was also above 80. Yesterday, it was 65. Does that jive with anyone else's experience?
Arro (11-22-2020)
Old 06-14-2018
Registered!!

Jesse850GLT is an unknown quantity at this point

Joined the forum because my wife's car has the same issue. 2016 Civic touring with 41800 miles and now out of warranty. I was quoted $2,900.00 for the repair and the only thing dealership could do was to knock off 10% from the repair bill. Car always serviced at dealership. Opened a case with Honda and hope to get a call today.

Last edited by Jesse850GLT; 06-14-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Ronvorndam (08-04-2021)
Old 07-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TheDreamX
The day before I went to the dealer, the stickiness was unbearable, happening every few seconds. It was also 85+ outside. The first two times I felt it, the temp was also above 80. Yesterday, it was 65. Does that jive with anyone else's experience?
This was my experience. When I took mine in last Fall, I told the dealer it was intermittent and seemed to happen on long drives and when it was hot out. Totally anecdotal, but that was my observation.

It wasn't acting up when I took it in, and the dealership told me I'd have to leave it with them -- at my own expense (I lived alone and had only one car, which meant paying for a rental out of pocket) -- so they could replicate the issue. I understood their position, but I was angry at the thought of having to pay for a rental for several days for an issue that could be a safety concern. I left without resolution.

I didn't really experience the issue again until the Spring, seemingly when the temps started hitting the 90s. Annoying AF. Since I was selling my house and planning a move to CO in May, I couldn't find the time to take it in, and as fate would have it my car was destroyed by hail three weeks ago, 11 days after moving to Colorado Springs.

Between the sticky steering, the weird engine surging issue others have also reported, and the way I was treated by the dealership, I decided against getting another Honda. I went with a Crosstrek, and it's a nice feeling driving a car that I don't have to struggle with continually to drive in a straight line.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

Posted a followup last week, but apparently it didn't pass moderation.
Old 07-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Approved post, not sure why it got ghosted
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Approved post, not sure why it got ghosted
No worries, and thanks!
Old 10-11-2018
Registered!!

ez1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2016 2.0 EX Sedan and have been experiencing this problem for months. It normally shows up in Highway driving and of course the faster your going the more pronounced the problem. I would recommend that you ensure the car is properly warmed up and has been driven for at least 20 - 40 min before taking it in. I finally was able to get the dealership to assign me a technician who was available the minute i got there, I went with him on the test drive and he definitely saw the problem.Wen through tthe techline etc, etc. Tthey are now replacing the entire steering rack $3300 if I were paying. Thank god its under warranty. The part number replaced is

53650-TBA-A22

it took several days to get it approved and ordered. Ill post once I get the car. Thanks POHANKA Honda Fredricskburg VA.

I also am experiencing CVT problems where on a very warm day the vehicle (from an initial power up and AT gear engagement) fails to move for a couple of seconds even under full throttle and then only slowly. My son has a 2016 and also has this problem. I will be addressing it next with honda. Also when accessing short on ramps where you have to get off and then back on the throttle hard it fails to engage for a second or so extremely scary and a major safety issue. Hope this helps. NHTSA should address this with honda.
Old 05-26-2019
Registered!!

AUTOBOT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2017 Civic EXL has 27,500 miles, and the steering is doing the same thing,it is more noticeable on the highway driving straight with small movements needed to keep the car in the lane.
I have files a complaint with NHTSA as this could eventually be a safety issue and may aid in a government forced recall.
Even it the your problem has been resolved is would be helpful to still file a safety complaint here https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
IO will be taking in is later this week to fix an oil leak hopefully they will know about the sticking steering problem because mine will not do it like the video above.
Old 05-26-2019
Registered!!

ez1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AUTOBOT1
My 2017 Civic EXL has 27,500 miles, and the steering is doing the same thing,it is more noticeable on the highway driving straight with small movements needed to keep the car in the lane.
I have files a complaint with NHTSA as this could eventually be a safety issue and may aid in a government forced recall.
Even it the your problem has been resolved is would be helpful to still file a safety complaint here https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
IO will be taking in is later this week to fix an oil leak hopefully they will know about the sticking steering problem because mine will not do it like the video above.
Hi, Sorry to hear as my sons 2016 is doing it now as well. I will research the VIN as the car was totaled in an accident out west on vacation. I do know the problem was extensivly communicated to Honda North America and Overseas as my dealership didnt want to foot the bill so it took a little time from mother honda to approve the swap after the service manager got involved. I thought I did register the steering and transmission problems with NHTSA. Once I find the VIN ill verigy. Good luck with your attempts this problem needs to be addressed at a higher level. The only part replacement was then entire fron end replacement (crazy)..
Old 07-07-2019
Registered!!

Michael McCray is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought my civic last year, been driving for almost an year. Currently I have 18,000 Miles. The problem started about a month ago when I noticed that the steering wheel would start being sticky. The power steering worked fine but for subtle movements, it would cause resistance.
This was not frequent but the problem would show up occasionally and so far it has occurred 6 times.

My dealership is not able to duplicate it. So they are not able to do anything about it. I was really hopeful when I had the problem, someone from Honda Services would take a look but the wait was horrible and by the time we went for a drive the magnitude of the problem was so minimal.

​​My dealership here is very accommodating, unfortunately the problem occurs when I am driving by myself. I was given loaner while they were checking it out. The loaner happened to be the same make and model. I have not noticed this issue and the steering wheel is smoother and better (just like how it was before the problem started).
​​​​​​Anybody else facing this issue?

I have created a video of the issue with some comparison. You will have to look at the video carefully. However, I think you have to be behind the driver's seat to feel this resistance.

The resistance makes it difficult to change lanes, as it feels like a force is acting in opposite direction and it takes more to make subtle movements.

Video:
https://youtu.be/w5x_CaVHXmM

Thanks in advance

D
YES, only to the left.
Old 10-05-2019
Registered!!

AUTOBOT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

NHTSA sent me an email asking permission to send my complaint along with the VIN to Honda.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Civic LX Steering Wheel Sticky , Stiff & Jerky