General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Turbo Vs. RSX-R K20a swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoievvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo Vs. RSX-R K20a swap

I was thinking of doing one of these two things. I have a few questions though. Which will eventually cost more, because I don't want to be running 4 PSI (www.turbo-performance.com)? I know you have to upgrade fuel sys and others. The K20a is extremely expensive off the bat, and I could definately get more power off of a 10 PSI Garret turbo than a stock RSX. What stuff do I need besides the parts that come in the Turbo kit from turbo-performance.com (probably a waste gate and intercooler)? Also does anyone know what the max HP these turbos can put out on a civic?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
with just one extra injector...i believe the max PSI u can do is below 10 PSI...but dont quote me on that.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

JMan50 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know that there are a few guys that have the turbo's and can run 8 psi, but not much more without the upgrades in injectors and all of that. I am thinking of the same thing, I mean max 8psi for about 3500 to 4000 (for everything) and I know of a shop around here that can/will do the K20 swap for about 5G's. So, the swap is more HP, and you can do more with it VS. turbo with what a max of 50 to 60 hp for almost the same amount of money? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] What to do[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

GhettoAZN15 is an unknown quantity at this point
why not just swap and turbo [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: hoievvy
I was thinking of doing one of these two things. I have a few questions though. Which will eventually cost more[hr]
The Type R swap, because that engine requires 100 octane. You can give it 91/92 but it'll perform like a Type S and once it gets used to a lower octane, your engine will never perform at it's best again.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

BigHippo22 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIc
I was thinking of doing one of these two things. I have a few questions though. Which will eventually cost more[hr]
The Type R swap, because that engine requires 100 octane. You can give it 91/92 but it'll perform like a Type S and once it gets used to a lower octane, your engine will never perform at it's best again.[hr]
is this true?
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Logan is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: BigHippo22
The Type R swap, because that engine requires 100 octane. You can give it 91/92 but it'll perform like a Type S and once it gets used to a lower octane, your engine will never perform at it's best again.[hr]
is this true?[hr]
Yah, man...think of 91/92 octane fuel as a greasy double cheeseburger and the 100 octane as a protein snack. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] I think I am the only one that laughed at that...but anyways, seriously, I am not sure about using a lower octane fuel in an engine requiring higher octane fuel causing long term problems that couldn't be corrected fairly easily. Are you POSITIVE that engine REQUIRES 100 octane? That's a little radical to me...I really doubt 91< octane fuel would mess it up althought it might not provide optimal performance as already stated. Could you explain why it would "get used to" a lower octane and never perform the same again?
Old 01-05-2003
First to spool
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
The ECU will see the results of using lower than 100 octane through the o2 and knock sensors, and retard timing and/or change the fuel map, giving less power. It's completely reversible, just reset your ecu, or it will also learn the higher octane after a while of using that, same as it learned the lower octane.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Logan
[hr]Originally posted by: BigHippo22
is this true?[hr]
Yah, man...think of 91/92 octane fuel as a greasy double cheeseburger and the 100 octane as a protein snack. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] I think I am the only one that laughed at that...but anyways, seriously, I am not sure about using a lower octane fuel in an engine requiring higher octane fuel causing long term problems that couldn't be corrected fairly easily. Are you POSITIVE that engine REQUIRES 100 octane? That's a little radical to me...I really doubt 91< octane fuel would mess it up althought it might not provide optimal performance as already stated. Could you explain why it would "get used to" a lower octane and never perform the same again?[hr]

because the DC5 ITR engine is JDM, and in japan, they do indeed offer 100 octane (or at least 98) at their gas stations. 98 is their "premium" grade gasoline, and yes, it's radical in the states, but not over there.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
first off, most people get this confused. When they say that japan uses 100, they think right off the bat that its octane. This is wrong, they actually use a different system called "RON" I think it stands Research Octane Number. Now that 100 RON I think usually comes out to about 95 octane so its not that far off from 93 octane where i live. You can read more about it here under the octane section.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually even better place to read this is here. We use PON system here which stands for "Pump Octane Number" and it comes out to be 95.8 Pon compared to japan's 100 Ron's fuel system.