General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

just another noobster in need of tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spooner is an unknown quantity at this point
just another noobster in need of tips

alright boys (and girls) i just got my NBP dx today (i know i know why dx) money is real tight. I am 16 years old and this is my first car, I have no clue how to drive stick do yall have any tips about that for our cars (im starting to get the hang but i still need serious help), Also i intend to turn my car into a sleeper, i am only gonna have an altezza grill and cleared headlights amd White rims for exterior mods, as for the engine i just want basic stuff:
2.25 in piping with APEXi Ni rear section
HP Heders with high-flow cat
AEM CAI
AEM Pulleys
Denso's

Possibly:
S-AFC
50 universal NOS Kit

I realize that i need to break in my engine before i hook it up, about how long should I wait?

P.S. Thankyou mom and dad for my car
Old 01-03-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
if the car is stick, how about you learn how to drive a stick first before you start modding? that will also give you decent time to save up
Old 01-03-2003
Ike
Registered!!

Ike is an unknown quantity at this point
He's gotta point! Learn how to drive that 5 speed, because all your money might need to go into a new clutch... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

spooner is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i know damn kids cant drive stick- but how many miles would you say before i start launching and everything 2,000 5,000 what?
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
READ THE MANUAL!

600 MILES OR 1000KMS.
Vary your RPMS.

edit: btw with those mods your car wouldn't be much of a sleeper.
Old 01-03-2003
Honda > Nissan

xian is on a distinguished road
Good choice on picking a Civic, regardless of trim level! I actually learned how to drive stick on mine. My best advice, don't wear heavy shoes while learning stick. Go buy yourself of "Airwalks" shoes, aka. skateboard shoes. You'll get an awesome feel for the clutch. I'm serious about this. I started with Dock boats...big mistake!

Take it easy the first 500 miles or so. Smoothness shifting I find occurs about 2,800 rpm. As well, if you think you're about to grind the syncros, stomp on that clutch pedal. Even if you don't think if isn't fully into gear, put into neutral, then back into that gear. You'll know when you ****up because it makes the worst noice you've ever heard.

Stay away from hills if you can for the first little while. Tackle the hills when you can shift without even thinking of shifting.

You'll do fine, but it takes time. Best decision I have ever made, besides buying the car!!!

fyi, theres a group buy right now for the Magnaflow high-flow cat. $300 USD shipped to your door. Look at "Group Buys" in the forum.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

2001civ is an unknown quantity at this point
I taught myself to drive stick. What I did. I had a steep driveway and i just practiced using the clutch on that. up and down, up and down. Personally that helped me not only learn a stick but also hills. I learned stick in about a day doing that. still needed to be fine tuned tho. Thats just what I did. make sure the hill isn't to big cuz you don't want to role backward for 2 blocks if that doesn't work for you. I would stick to a drive way. Lame I know but it worked.

As for the mods. I agree with voiceofid wait, learn the clutch really good. I would say 10,000 miles before nitrous and wait and save money till your car hits that point. smaller mods like an intake will be safe under that but I would still wait and save incase you have any surprise costs. especially being a new driver.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

01civic911 is an unknown quantity at this point
if money is tight, how are you gonna put all this money into a "sleeper" that no matter how hard you try isnt going to wake up? you gotta do things that make you happy/proud to drive the car before doing things that will enable you to toast cars, bc the things for yourself will come alot easier.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

PwN3d is an unknown quantity at this point
while i didnt learn to drive stick on my 2k1, i burned the syncros after 15k miles from beating on the car day in and day out. i didnt know how crappy the civic syncros were compared to my previous car. edit: from banging out gears, clutchless shifting, etc...

definately get all the basics of driving stick down before you race your car. also read and know the manual for it.

to drive stick (in a nutshell):

press in clutch pedal
start car
put car in 1st gear (top left) *this is if you want to go forward; reverse it would be r (bottom right)*
while slowly depressing clutch pedal (left foot), press gas pedal (right foot)
when finished depressing clutch, drive forward.
at 3k rpm press clutch pedal all the way. shift the shift lever down to 2nd gear.
depress clutch pedal. keep driving.
Old 01-03-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
PwN3d dude clutchless shifting.....ouch!!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2003
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: PwN3d
while i didnt learn to drive stick on my 2k1, i burned the syncros after 15k miles from beating on the car day in and day out. i didnt know how crappy the civic syncros were compared to my previous car. edit: from banging out gears, clutchless shifting, etc...

definately get all the basics of driving stick down before you race your car. also read and know the manual for it.

to drive stick (in a nutshell):

press in clutch pedal
start car
put car in 1st gear (top left) *this is if you want to go forward; reverse it would be r (bottom right)*
while slowly depressing clutch pedal (left foot), press gas pedal (right foot)
when finished depressing clutch, drive forward.
at 3k rpm press clutch pedal all the way. shift the shift lever down to 2nd gear.
depress clutch pedal. keep driving.[hr]
fyi.... depress and press are the same thing. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

press and release work better.

Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
I bought my 5 speed 7thgen not knowing how to drive stick so I had to force myself to learn. Almost regretted it at first but once you get the hang of it, it's hard to go back to auto. Auto became no fun at all.
Old 01-03-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Money is tight so you get a new car? Sounds like you didn't make out too bad. But, don't set your hopes too high for performance. When I got my car, I had been sixteen for just under two weeks and thought I was gonna do the same thing... make it look cool outside, and make it a 'sleeper.' Then I learned a thing or two about cars, and figured out that I drive an Inline 4 cylinder car, it has a sticker in the window that says ULEV, and it gets forty miles to the gallon. Sorry bud, but its not gonna be fast. I suggest babying your engine up to 1500 miles, and not doing stupid stuff ever. It'd probably give you more satisfaction making your car into a show car than a sleeper. Coz you can win shows with exterior mods & engine dress up (sorry, but an intake is engine dress up in my opinion) but you're not gonna win many races with a 7th gen Civic. Also, my parents paid for my car, so I thought "Cool, I'll have money to hook my car up, right?" Wrong. When it comes to custom car stuff, money doensn't go very far. That kit you want that is only $800 to your door is gonna cost a ton to get painted and installed. So, if you ask me, go for looks so you can impress the girls and guys. Speed only impresses the guys.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: djmota
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][hr]
told ya i treat my car like crap.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: white2K2EX
Money is tight so you get a new car? Sounds like you didn't make out too bad. But, don't set your hopes too high for performance. When I got my car, I had been sixteen for just under two weeks and thought I was gonna do the same thing... make it look cool outside, and make it a 'sleeper.' Then I learned a thing or two about cars, and figured out that I drive an Inline 4 cylinder car, it has a sticker in the window that says ULEV, and it gets forty miles to the gallon. Sorry bud, but its not gonna be fast. I suggest babying your engine up to 1500 miles, and not doing stupid stuff ever. It'd probably give you more satisfaction making your car into a show car than a sleeper. Coz you can win shows with exterior mods & engine dress up (sorry, but an intake is engine dress up in my opinion) but you're not gonna win many races with a 7th gen Civic. Also, my parents paid for my car, so I thought "Cool, I'll have money to hook my car up, right?" Wrong. When it comes to custom car stuff, money doensn't go very far. That kit you want that is only $800 to your door is gonna cost a ton to get painted and installed. So, if you ask me, go for looks so you can impress the girls and guys. Speed only impresses the guys.[hr]
i do agree with what youre saying...money tight new car [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] but i think that if he new his stuff before jumpin on the civic bandwagon, then he would have got a used v8 muscle car, dumped 2-3k into it, and had a 12 second car.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
told ya i treat my car like crap.[hr]
Clutchless shifting isnt treating your car like crap its being a f*****g moron.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Ducatti
told ya i treat my car like crap.[hr]
Clutchless shifting isnt treating your car like crap its being a f*****g moron.[hr]
i guess you could say that too.
Old 01-03-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
not to be a mom or anything...

BUT

you're 16.

your first car.

you never drove a stick before and dont know how...

and you want to "race it" or at least, turn it to a sleeper. (as sleepy as it can get, anyway)

its hard to loose control in an under-powered civic, but yeah.. becareful okay?

dont do that 50 shot till you get a hang of driving ur car for a long time...

but if you truly are thankful that your parents got you this car... dont do something that'll hurt them, okay? be responsible.

for ur setup, I'll skip the denso and the pullies, unless u really have the money to burn. They dont do much IMO, despite the general feedback... do more research on plugs and pullies before u blow $150 on both of them.

remember the HP header is a tough install. u just have a brand new car, so unless u want to trash the warranty by cutting the engine mount... take it to a shop so they can lift the engine and have the header installed for you.

and make sure emission and regulation in ur state/area allows the header.. unless u dont care about that.

Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
its not hard to learn I never drove a stick in my life and in fact i didnt even drive my car off the lot but i learned in two days and drove solo on the third, i have had my car for over a year now and i havent killed it or grinded the gears once. Learn to drive then mod
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

Sweetpants is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i learned how to drive a stick on my civic....not too dificult. just keeping practicing first gear, u'll get the hang of it in about a day or two.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

PicCoLoboi02 is on a distinguished road
[hr]Originally posted by: spooner
yeah i know damn kids cant drive stick- but how many miles would you say before i start launching and everything 2,000 5,000 what?[hr]
Not really...i'm only 18 and my 2002 Civic Ex Sedan 5spd is the first car i can call my own. I know how to drive stick really good now and it took me only 6 hours total 3 lessons with my dad...2 hours each. We practice on hills and other things just to make sure i can get the hang of it. Now...i can do a perdy good launch and etc. I say just learn how to drive it first before you start messing around with it. My first mod was the RS grill [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] also....if ur planning to mod it a lot...make sure everything is street legal. It'll save you money and time in the long run.