General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

what's wrong with these cars? (not talkin bout civic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
symmetry is an unknown quantity at this point
what's wrong with these cars? (not talkin bout civic)

ok, 2 of the cars I'm really for some odd reason taking a liking to is the neon r/t and the eagle tsi. Now, I love my civic don't get me wrong, but I just would know why I shouldn't or should consider the others.
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

sumama is an unknown quantity at this point
because the neon is a DODGE! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

SpeedStars is an unknown quantity at this point
oohhh.. EAGLE talon.. a buddy of mine got one.. a red one.. he's gonna pimp it out this summer.. hopefully i get to drive it one day.. hehe.. Guess u'll love the mitsubishi engine...
Old 12-30-2002
no
Registered!!

no is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the only reason I don't like Dodge neons is because it american's trying to tap into the import seen after they been talking all that sh*t about us and the eagle I don't really have a problem with but it a knock off of the eclips
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
You could try researching them to find out
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

yeah, that's kinda what I'm doing is researching them a little. and I always thought the eclipse was a knock off of the eagle, of course, the mitsubishi motor should've been my first clue, which, I'd rather get a 3000gt if I get a mitsubishi. dilemmas.....wait, there are no dilemmas, I'm just curious about them, not like I'm buying one.
Old 12-30-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
for some reason, everyone hates dodge.. but...

Dodge=Chrysler=Plymoth(sp?)=Mitsubishi
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

crap, another good point. hasn't mitsubishi been making the 4 bangers for dodge since early 80's? I know my 84 challenger had one, and I think my 85 omni had one, yes, laugh, I owned an omni
Old 12-30-2002
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: Voiceofid

Dodge=Chrysler=Plymoth(sp?)=Mitsubishi [hr]
chrysler + mercedes = diamler-chrysler(sp?) right....?
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Lately I've had a love/hate thing going on with neons. As a car it's great, i really like it, i enjoy driving it, it's never given me problems (despite what honda owners might think). The hate part comes in, because over the last few years, now that older neons are cheap, plentiful, and popular ; there's a lot of really, really stupid people popping up in the neon "community" that I honestly can't stand.

So take that for what it's worth. With neons - look for '98 or newer models (all the R/Ts are 98 or newer), avoid sunroofs on the earlier ones, get the MLS headgasket, and a 5 speed, and you'll have a car you can enjoy for a good long time.

In fact, i think the Talons and Eclipses use the same sunroof assembly..... Talons are great cars though, there's a TON of performance potential. Having driven/autoxed/etc a '95 TSi a few times I can definately say the driving experience is quite different from my neon.

[hr]Originally posted by: symmetry
crap, another good point. hasn't mitsubishi been making the 4 bangers for dodge since early 80's? I know my 84 challenger had one, and I think my 85 omni had one, yes, laugh, I owned an omni [hr]
The only mitsubishi engines chrysler has used in large quantities was the 2.6 "hemi" (starion engine minus the turbo) and the 3.0 V6 (think minivan that smokes). Your omni could have had either a 1.7 VW engine, or the 2.2 chrysler engine. I had an '89 horizon myself (same car) with the 2.2 and for being an 80s beater car, it wasn't too bad really.

[hr]Originally posted by: no
Well the only reason I don't like Dodge neons is because it american's trying to tap into the import seen after they been talking all that sh*t about us [hr]
Old 12-30-2002
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
There is no dodge involved in turbo talon/eclipse's. Dodge makes the 420A motor which only went into the 95+ non turbo eclipse/talon.

The TSI is a great car, ever consider an eclipse? Parts are less money for them because they're more popular than the eagles. Granted of course a majority of the parts are the same, the front bumper. rear lights, etc are different and can only be ordered for the eagles. I had an eclipse so i know the drill. If you want to research talon/eclipses go to DSMTalk.com.

Joe
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

I'm sure chrysler was involved at some point (body styling? Interior?) since the car was originally meant to replace the chrysler laser (which was the daytona's twin). See the 1987 Plymouth Laser XS-2 concept car for what I mean. Mitsubishi wanted a sporty car, and so they got to influence the car a whole lot as well.
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

ok neonmike, I do appreciate that input and the thrill of knowing I wasn't the only omni/horizon owner which I agree that it wasn't that bad of a beater, it got me around and was peppy off the line, just that once it was off the line it lost the pepand I wouldn't consider a non r/t neon, kinda like I said I'd never go non si civic but this time I really didn't want a hatch. and for the eclipse talon debate, i'd have to go talon just because I like the looks better and around here every hick and his brother drives an eclipse they think is hot stuff but their rusted junk, most talons around here are far and few between and look sharp.
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: symmetry
....every hick and his brother drives an eclipse....[hr]
Really? I thought hicks "ain't gunna drive nun of them thar feurin cars..."

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: no
Well the only reason I don't like Dodge neons is because it american's trying to tap into the import seen after they been talking all that sh*t about us and the eagle I don't really have a problem with but it a knock off of the eclips[hr]
everyone is now dumber for having heard that. i award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

um, hello? they are not knockoffs. 1st gen eclipse = eagle talon = plymouth laser. the only difference is the name. 2nd gen eclipse = eagle talon. once again, the only difference is the name and the silly spoiler on the back of the talon.
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

jefff is an unknown quantity at this point
The TSI is the $hit. I'm sorry you've taken a liking to the neon though. I hear they have support groups for that kinda thing.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Just kidding,
The TSI is really good as long as it's not auto ( I HATE AUTO's) but that's just me. The ALL WHEEL DRIVE is really nice on the TSI too.
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Every car has problems.. it all about which ones you wanna take a chance with. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

Here's what www.autosafety.org says on both cars:

Dodge Neon

They didnt have a listing on the Talon, but on the Eclipse instead.. I think theyre similar enough in some respects.

Mitsu Eclipse
Old 01-01-2003
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
[hr]Originally posted by: cambo
[hr]Originally posted by: Voiceofid

Dodge=Chrysler=Plymoth(sp?)=Mitsubishi [hr]
chrysler + mercedes = diamler-chrysler(sp?) right....?[hr]
Yep and Ford, with Mazda and Jaguar. And GM with all their lines also.
I think that DaimlerChrysler's, and a matter afact most "American" car compainies quality control has gone up. My dad owns a 02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. Solid truck. My had a 94 Chrylser Concorde, Pile. The car is pile. Notice how I put American in quotes. No car is domestic or import anymore. Where were most of you 7th gen's assembled? Mine was in East Liberty Ohio. The Dodge was in Mexico. Whats you point if it is "Domestic or Import" I had to take the Dodge in for an oil change and browed the showroom and the Dodge dealer. The new Neon SXT, and Stratus SXT dont look to bad, and would probably smoke our little engines hands down. I would of test drove it but I have a broken foot and would of been kinda hard to shift. Many of the domestic car companies have increased quality control because they have lost customers to Honda, Toyota, and other import car manufacturer's, because realibilty of those cars are so much better. It's just that so many people are biased toward one car brand and wont go out and see that there might be something different. Before I purchased the civic, I researched other kinds of cars, like, (cringe if you want to) The Ford ZX2, Cavalier, and the Sunfire. I didnt like the layouts of the cars, or the feel of the cars, so that I why I bought my civic. I like, besides for the little damn rattles, and my damn seat rocks again for the 3rd time. I plan on keeping my car for a long time, and have no regrets.
Old 01-01-2003
Registered!!

yeah, hicks around here think that if they drive the beat up eclipse on friday nights their hot stuff, then they drive their beat up trucks w/ 17" lift kit and big tires (and probably only on a small v8 or even 6 cyl) during the day. I was thinkin bout it, my omni had a vw motor [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] and daveyd, my civic was made somewhere in canada I believe, then shipped down to US.