General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Damn, even the loser is getting a turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not that knowledgable on this subject, but it seems to me that - and I'm surprised nobody has really brought this car up at all - the new Accord should prove both fuel efficient, sporty - the V6 coupe which debuts this spring - and classy. The accord has always been a step up from the civic, in power and features. It comes stock with 200+ horses (160 for the budget models), so anyone looking for factory performance will get it. Plus, since it has the same engine as the RSX - the K-series, many of the aftermarket parts will be addaptable to the Accord, satisfying us tuners.

Now while I have nothing really to back this up, it just seems like that makes sense. Aside from the fact that it's priced about the same as an RSX-S, which obviously is a much sportier car.

Maybe I'm just in over my head here - someone lemme know if I have something, or if I should just shut the hell up ..
Old 12-04-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I think u should just shut the hell up!! haha just playin. i am not sure about your point but that was some info. I just wanted to say that this has been a great thread!!
Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: OMega
Sorry, HONDA has made and still makes turbo cars. The first turbo honda was the turbo city. The second was the acura legend. Turbo hondas. The other ... can't rember the name but it some kind of mini van. In fact mugen got its real start in cars because of turbos. But in the end turbo is a path honda rearly takes.[hr]
The question is, how many Honda turbocharged cars made it to North America? Try, none! The only thing honda has brought over that was turbo'd was the CX500 & CX650 motorcycles and the F-12X personal watercraft.

Old 12-05-2002
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: BlownF-12X personal watercraft.[hr]

turbo charged wave runner.... droooooool
Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

gggplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: OMega
Sorry, HONDA has made and still makes turbo cars. The first turbo honda was the turbo city. The second was the acura legend. Turbo hondas. The other ... can't rember the name but it some kind of mini van. In fact mugen got its real start in cars because of turbos. But in the end turbo is a path honda rearly takes.

[hr]Originally posted by: S2000man01
[hr]Originally posted by: gggplaya
The fact is, honda could care less for turbo. In fact they frown upon it. It's just too hard to mass produce reliable turbo cars that still run well after several years. Yes, it can be done. But a majority of turbo cars that i have ridden in don't feel like they run verywell once they get older. They run sloppy and choppy.

Honda believes that through engine technology, they can achieve similiar "smooth" horsepower and retain their reliability and reputation and get decent gas mileage.

- this is not my speculation, i actually read that somewhere and just can't find the article.[hr]
Someone finally hit it on the head.

Honda's reason for not using turbos has absolutely NOTHING to do with demand. Honda doesn't use turbo's in their cars because of reliability, pollution, and engine efficiency. Honda feels that technology is a better route to go. They will not use turbo's in their cars. But they'll use any other means they can. For example, the new NSX they are designing with over 400hp, that uses a combustion engine as well as an electric motor. The thing gets like 35mpg, and cranks out 400+hp.

And not all is lost with the civic. Honda is changing the civic in 2005/2006. More horsepower, sportier suspension, better handling.

And by the way.... the turbo PT cruiser is still a slow car for having a turbo. It runs like high 15's/low 16's. Taking a bloated pig like that and adding a tiny T25 turbo does jack squat.[hr]
[hr]
Those cars look pretty old. Maybe they were just jumping on the turbo bandwagon or trying to appeal to a different demographic at the time. I don't know

Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Those cars look pretty old. Maybe they were just jumping on the turbo bandwagon or trying to appeal to a different demographic at the time. I don't know[hr]
Actually people, magazines, everyone has said that they want/it needs a turbo from the factory. Chrysler isin't jumping on the turbo bandwagon, they'll be leading it if the 80s are any indication.
Old 12-06-2002
Registered!!

gggplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Neonmike
Those cars look pretty old. Maybe they were just jumping on the turbo bandwagon or trying to appeal to a different demographic at the time. I don't know[hr]
Actually people, magazines, everyone has said that they want/it needs a turbo from the factory. Chrysler isin't jumping on the turbo bandwagon, they'll be leading it if the 80s are any indication.[hr]
Magazines, and people, say they need it, so there is certainly a demographic and demand for one. But what does honda the business have to say ? They have the reputation for being the most reliable car company in the world. Would they want to jepordize that because a certain group wants them to put on turbos. Something they don't have perfected. It's their risk and ultimately their deciscion. I personally if i were them would not do it. But since i'm not them, i do want to add a turbo to my car just like everyone else here.

Who knows One day they might so that they can jump into that turbo craving niche in the the market. Saab and volvo have done it. They were some of the first and have relatively reliable cars, although i had a friend with a 92 saab and it ran like crap even with less then 100k miles on it, turbo of course. For now, you'll have to settle for N/A power and refinement.

And chrylser sucks anyways, just look at how they screwed up mistubishi when they teamed up to make the dsm cars. Their engines blow easily and so do their tranny's, they leak oil, bad head gaskets. noone i know with an eclipse or 3000gt or stealth has had a good experience. Putting turbo into a crappy pt cruiser with high quarter mile times, whooptie do.