General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Matrix XRS or Protege5

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002
Escaped Convict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
test drive test drive!

but yeah, I'm going with everyoen on the protege 5.

if I waited, I would have got that car instead of my civic. my reasons have been mention, so I wont repeat them.

the AWD matrix/vibes are weaksauce cars though.. they have poor power output for a car of such weight... even the XRS is funky due to toyota's gearing.... you really gotta rev it up to get going.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

papawheelie is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay first things first. You stated you are going to trade your car in to get a car for your gf. Correct? What will you drive then? Are you going to by yourself another car? Sounds like a bad deal. Getting rid of your car for your girl. What is wrong with you giving her the civic and your getting a Nissan Maxima instead. That way she has a car that is practically new and you get a nicer car. You both win then. Not just her. Just my opinion.
Old 11-27-2002
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
i thought the matrix xrs had a 6spd tranny.... cause it uses a celica gts engine... or am i wrong?... anyways... the protoge 5s are pretty nice... i dont consider them wagons really.... more like big hatchbacks.... but the way mazda is doing things now.... perhaps u can get the mazdaspeed engine in that P5........ just a thought...
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Matrix Engine is from the Corolla Platform. If she likes an SUV kinda ride the matrix will give her just that. If she likes to have the roomyness and a car kinda ride the Pro5 does that.
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point
Noodleboy - The P5 wasn't roomy enough for her but the laser blue mica with black headlight housings, wow! She's settled on a car right now and it's not the XRS or the P5. Now which engine is from the Corolla platform? I can see the base model being but not the XRS. The XRS has 180HP, 130ft-lbs torque, a 6 spd tranny, same max HP rpm, same max torque rpm, etc... I think the XRS does have the celica GT-S motor in it.

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

manixc is an unknown quantity at this point
what car is she thinking about???
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Blown
Noodleboy - The P5 wasn't roomy enough for her but the laser blue mica with black headlight housings, wow! She's settled on a car right now and it's not the XRS or the P5. Now which engine is from the Corolla platform? I can see the base model being but not the XRS. The XRS has 180HP, 130ft-lbs torque, a 6 spd tranny, same max HP rpm, same max torque rpm, etc... I think the XRS does have the celica GT-S motor in it.[hr]
So what car did she settle one? And yes, the Pro 5 with the black projectors look freak'n awesome. I'm not sure about the XRS, but i know the base and XR model uses the corolla platform. But reviews say the XRS the daily driving power doesn't come easily. The max torque comes at an extremely high rpm.
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Blown
Noodleboy - The P5 wasn't roomy enough for her but the laser blue mica with black headlight housings, wow! She's settled on a car right now and it's not the XRS or the P5. Now which engine is from the Corolla platform? I can see the base model being but not the XRS. The XRS has 180HP, 130ft-lbs torque, a 6 spd tranny, same max HP rpm, same max torque rpm, etc... I think the XRS does have the celica GT-S motor in it.[hr]
The xrs engine is straight out of the celica. The power doesn't come easy because of the engines high-strung power curve - like a typical hotrod 4 banger.

I'd go for the matrix over the p5 anyday. The p5 is cute and all but it's definately not in the same class with the matrix. The matrix has better quality, reliability, better manufacturer, and will most definately hold it's value better.

The p5 is just an econo-wagon. Nice but just not in the same league.

No, the pontiac isn't going to hold its value like the matrix. Simply because of the name.

Anyhow, everything aside, you have to like what you drive so in the end, it comes down to what's most important.
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: manixc
what car is she thinking about???[hr]
Pontiac Vibe GT... I know, a pontiac... What a downgrade from my civic but she didn't like the Toyota Matrix at all... Besides, the pontiac is more affordable, $500 rebate, 0% financing for 48months, and I get a recent grad discount of $1000. So, in the end, the amount that is lost due to depreciation(in comparison to the Matrix) is made up in the rebates and the no interest.

Here's the breakdown:
Current 48 month interest rate for Matrix = 6.9%, total interest paid(assuming $28K loan) = $3960
Current 48 month interest rate for Vibe = 0%, no interest paid.

Now, using a projected depreciation value after 4 years.
Matrix = $14,450.
Vibe = $12,482.

Now, subtracting the amount interest paid:
Matrix = $10,490
Vibe = $12,482

And you clearly see the Vibe is worth more money... That doesn't even account for the $1500 rebate Pontiac gives. So, assuming a 3% interest rate for investing it. The $1500 would be worth $1688.
Now, add that to the price and the Vibe sits at $14,170. So, which one is the wiser purchase?

Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

If i were in your shoes, i wouldn't let my gf choose the vibe. I'd say.. "out of the question".. sorry, i've owned 2 pontiacs before and they were horrendous in quality. But up to you..
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: n00dleboy
If i were in your shoes, i wouldn't let my gf choose the vibe. I'd say.. "out of the question".. sorry, i've owned 2 pontiacs before and they were horrendous in quality. But up to you..[hr]
Noodleboy - I've had numurous GMs, chevys, Pontiacs in my life... From past experiences, the cheaper cars(sunfires, cavaliers, grand ams) are not good quality at all! But, the full size trucks and the large cars(Grand Prixs, Impalas, etc...) are built very well. You get what you pay for, you can't expect to buy a $14K car and expect it to stand up. Now, the Vibe is built at the NUMMI plant in California and they are known for quality. And, since it is of the same design of the Matrix, I wonder how the quality will be... It's best to wait a year to read the review of Consumer Reports and other automotive journalists. I guess I should have waited and found out about the 2001 civic before I bought it because the quality isn't there. I really enjoy the civic(and my gf does as well, she drives it more than me now) but I should have waited until they worked the kinks out of it... Maybe I should look at getting a Acura 1.7EL instead.

Edit: Visit the site and see the awards the NUMMI. plant won. It's a joint venture between Toyota and Pontiac...
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

Blown: Yea, that's exactly why i traded my 2001 Civic in cuz i didn't think the Quality was up to par as the previous gen civics. I've had no problems with the Pro5 , no recalls, and everything that i did want tweaked/changed, mazda had no problem with it whereas i had some bad times with the Honda service reps. Anywayz, i've heard nothing but good reviews for the vibe, so if that's the car your gf is getting good luck to ya!
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: n00dleboy
Blown: Yea, that's exactly why i traded my 2001 Civic in cuz i didn't think the Quality was up to par as the previous gen civics. I've had no problems with the Pro5 , no recalls, and everything that i did want tweaked/changed, mazda had no problem with it whereas i had some bad times with the Honda service reps. Anywayz, i've heard nothing but good reviews for the vibe, so if that's the car your gf is getting good luck to ya![hr]
Noodleboy - Thanks for the support. I think I will wait a year on the Vibe to allow the kinks to be worked out. I should have with my civic and I regret buying it. I would still love to see her driving a laser blue mica P5 but that's her choice. I'll take her out for a test drive in the Vibe and chances are she'll change her mind again(it might be hard to drive with the 6spd and high powerband). Besides, I think it's time to take my civic to get all of it's problems fixed before the warranty is off. Now, I just have to find that TSB about the 5spd transmission.