General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

stick drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Every try shifting without using the clutch? Makes a lot of noise but if you do it right it works....btw I've only done this once cause i was bored...
Old 01-31-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: Renamazazo
Every try shifting without using the clutch? Makes a lot of noise but if you do it right it works....btw I've only done this once cause i was bored...[hr]
WTF are you talking about? You grind your stick in and out of gear? Thats gotta be good for the transmission - do us a favor and try it at really high speeds and then come back and tell us what sounds it makes. And if you get really bored I'm sure there's a bunch or brick walls you can drive into......
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
It is possible to shift in and out of gears w/o using the clutch and w/o grinding - you just have to find the exact RPM points at which the transmission will let you gently slide in and out of gear. This take some experimentation and will result in some grinding noises and I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly. I've never tried it on my D17A2 tranny, and I sure as hell haven't done it on the K20A2 tranny. I used to be able to do it with moderate success on my old Mazda B2200 pickup truck.
Old 01-31-2003

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: htowncivicEX
It is possible to shift in and out of gears w/o using the clutch and w/o grinding - you just have to find the exact RPM points at which the transmission will let you gently slide in and out of gear. This take some experimentation and will result in some grinding noises and I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly. I've never tried it on my D17A2 tranny, and I sure as hell haven't done it on the K20A2 tranny. I used to be able to do it with moderate success on my old Mazda B2200 pickup truck.[hr]
Its also possible to drive with my eyes closed , but I'm not going to try that either
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it add wear to your car to pull it out of gear without using the clutch?
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 03Eclipse
It is possible to shift in and out of gears w/o using the clutch and w/o grinding - you just have to find the exact RPM points at which the transmission will let you gently slide in and out of gear. This take some experimentation and will result in some grinding noises and I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly. I've never tried it on my D17A2 tranny, and I sure as hell haven't done it on the K20A2 tranny. I used to be able to do it with moderate success on my old Mazda B2200 pickup truck.[hr]
Its also possible to drive with my eyes closed , but I'm not going to try that either[hr]
In rare cases, this is the only way to drive the car. Like when the clutch assembly breaks and you can't use the clutch at all (happened to a friend of mine) - he had to use the above technique to drive the car all the way home.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Does it add wear to your car to pull it out of gear without using the clutch?[hr]
Yes.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Baghead is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it add wear to your car to pull it out of gear without using the clutch?[hr]
Yes.[hr]
ya ok...dont do this....it wont kill the clutch but say goodbye to your syncros. i blew out my first tranny this way.
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
READ AND LEARN[hr]
And he lives up to his name.....great link
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: cdmx
READ AND LEARN[hr]
And he lives up to his name.....great link[hr]

Yeah, great page. Explains exactly what I was trying to say, expect a lot more detailed. People need to read this instead of flaming me for promoting double-clutching just because we have synchros.
Old 02-02-2003
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Friedrice
READ AND LEARN[hr]

Yeah, great page. Explains exactly what I was trying to say, expect a lot more detailed. People need to read this instead of flaming me for promoting double-clutching just because we have synchros.[hr]
summing up some of the stuff said on the link while answering the question...

double-clutching includes rev matching in its process... d-c-ing saves the synchros, but is tedious to do every time you downshift (i.e. driving in traffic)... double-clutching isn't really needed on our cars because we have synchros, however, you should at least rev-match (just leave the clutch pedal down) to extend your tranny life and slow down wear...
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, in traffic driving slow, there is no point in d-cing.... the point made on that page as well as in my previous reply to this thread was downshifting say from 5th-2nd going into a turn where you will be at near the limits of adhesion, d-cing is a very good idea
Old 02-02-2003
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea... dcing is better as a racing technique and just plain old rev-matching is practical for slowing down when daily driving... but i dc sometimes jus for fun and practice...
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

RunawaySoul is an unknown quantity at this point
It took me awhile to match whatRPM my car would be downshifting to the gear I need to be in... If I wasn't careful, my face would be massive fubar on the steering wheel. It was funny learning though.
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Friedrice
READ AND LEARN[hr]

Yeah, great page. Explains exactly what I was trying to say, expect a lot more detailed. People need to read this instead of flaming me for promoting double-clutching just because we have synchros.[hr]
This is totally beside the point of this thread, but...

You have like 1 post in this entire thread that anyone has replied to (the one I did), and I certainly did not flame you. So no one has been 'flaming you for promoting double-clutching'.
Old 08-29-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: stick drivers

^LOL obviously u dont have any "common sense" because this is a 6 year old thread u idiot.....
Old 08-29-2009
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Himanshu
I have a question about shifting down. I use the double clutch technique to skip down a gear. So if Im in 4th gear and I want to go to second. I push the clutch once to shift to neutral, and then push in the clutch again to shift to second. I know that if you shift from 4th to second directly without double clutch (so pushing the clutch once while shifting from fourth to second) is bad for the car. But can you shift from fourth to second with the clutch in once if you shift to third gear first? So .... clutch in.....shift to third then second while the clutch is in the whole time. I heard that this is ok for the car. Is this bad for the car?

LOL I think it is common sense matter for all drivers.
wow... back from the dead.....
Old 08-29-2009
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LOWBOY
I remember when I first learned to drive a manual. My brother and I were driving some POS minivan that we bought for $500.00.

I was geting off the freeway and going left. I shifted to second, and then what I thought was third at around 42mph, but ended up back in 1st. Talk about a jolt. That van was never the same after that.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Or how about when I test drove the 09 Civic si coming to a turn I slowed down and tried to shift from 5th to 4th...not being use to the close ratio gear box I ended up going from 5th to 2nd. Talk about some whip lash.