General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

stick drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V4sh is an unknown quantity at this point
stick drivers

I have a question about shifting down. I use the double clutch technique to skip down a gear. So if Im in 4th gear and I want to go to second. I push the clutch once to shift to neutral, and then push in the clutch again to shift to second. I know that if you shift from 4th to second directly without double clutch (so pushing the clutch once while shifting from fourth to second) is bad for the car. But can you shift from fourth to second with the clutch in once if you shift to third gear first? So .... clutch in.....shift to third then second while the clutch is in the whole time. I heard that this is ok for the car. Is this bad for the car?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

expense is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think it's bad for the car.. I never "double clutch" when shifting down. For instance when I'm on the highway towards my house and have to pull into a street I just slow down, clutch in, shift to third and give it enough gas to catch then I'm done.
Old 11-04-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I don't know why you would double clutch? Just downshift and feather the clutch while applying some gas. That will match the rpm's and you'll be fine. You can also do heal-toe downshifting; downshift and feather the gear in using the clutch while braking and adding gas at the same time. I've gotten pretty good at doing that. It's mostly useful in turns for late braking and faster exit speeds.
Old 11-04-2002
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
if you are talking about real double-clutching then you have to match your engine speed for the shift down. If I understand your question you are not pulling the clutch out to do so. By putting in the clutch and holding it in all you are really doing is giving your flywheel a few extra seconds to slow down. So I would say that it probably isn't good for the car unless you are going to match engine speed. If you are in fourth and shift to second regardless of third without matching the speed you already know what will happen as your head starts jerking toward your steering wheel... thats the main part you should consider.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
clutching like that wont do crap compared to a straight 4-2 shift because you are not rev matching. you might actually hurt the syncros more cause you are letting the rpms fall more so they heat up more to match 2nd gear.

what you are supposed to do when skipping a gear when down shifting is clutch in, shift, give gas to match the rpms of the gear you want to go into, clutch out.

at 40 mph (im crusin in 4th) and i for some reason need 2nd gear accel, then i engage clutch, shift while gassing to 4krpm (i think this is the # for 2nd gear at 40) then disengage clutch. then the gas pedal hits the floor.

long ago before i stopped racing on the highways, i pulled up next to a porsche 911 tt, and just for kicks we both gunned it from 60 mph. i guess he didnt downshift or something cause i was in 3rd gear at 60 mph. i pulled ahead quick but eventually got smoked.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you are thinking way too hard about this, just downshift!
Old 11-04-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
I shift straight from 4th to 2nd or 5th to 2nd all the time when exiting the highway. Just matching the rpms and not abusing the engine. No problems so far.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: V4sh
I have a question about shifting down. I use the double clutch technique to skip down a gear. So if Im in 4th gear and I want to go to second. I push the clutch once to shift to neutral, and then push in the clutch again to shift to second. I know that if you shift from 4th to second directly without double clutch (so pushing the clutch once while shifting from fourth to second) is bad for the car. But can you shift from fourth to second with the clutch in once if you shift to third gear first? So .... clutch in.....shift to third then second while the clutch is in the whole time. I heard that this is ok for the car. Is this bad for the car?[hr]
You're not going to hurt your tranny doing a 4th-to-2nd downshift, unless you absolutely force it into 2nd gear. When you go from the 4th to 2nd position and your car is traveling fast enough, you should first feel some resistance, then the shift lever should slide into gear fine. DO NOT attempt to jam it in, or you will mess up your synchros.
Old 11-04-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Ducatti
I think you are thinking way too hard about this, just downshift! [hr]
I totally Agree!
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
yeah dude, you just gotta work it. every car is different, just get comfortable with the car and try different things. dont think too much about it tho, driving is supposed to be fun. just dont let the revs go into red, or youll fugk up your engine like that.
Old 11-04-2002
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
I shift straight from 4th to 2nd or 5th to 2nd all the time when exiting the highway. Just matching the rpms and not abusing the engine. No problems so far.[hr]
how fast were u goin when u shifted from 5th to 2nd?
Old 11-04-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
[hr][i]Originally posted by: LikeWEEEEEEEEEEwhat you are supposed to do when skipping a gear when down shifting is clutch in, shift, give gas to match the rpms of the gear you want to go into, clutch out.

at 40 mph (im crusin in 4th) and i for some reason need 2nd gear accel, then i engage clutch, shift while gassing to 4krpm (i think this is the # for 2nd gear at 40) then disengage clutch. then the gas pedal hits the floor.
[hr]
He's right[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]. The only time I hear that when you should pump the clutch is maybe when the 1st OR reverse gear isnt fitting right when you attempt shifting. As long as you are going the relative speed, it's fine. If you're going llike 50 in 4th gear, and all of sudden traffic backs up and you slam the breaks and what the spedometer drop to 30, 25, 20,19 and so on, it's perfectly fine to catch your gear in 2nd. No "double clutching" needed.

Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Rev-match...easier on the clutch. On my car...say a 4-2 downshift at 40mph...I like to bring the RPMs up to around 3000rpm before engaging 2nd. Much smoother and easier on the clutch.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: PESTLNC
Rev-match...easier on the clutch. On my car...say a 4-2 downshift at 40mph...I like to bring the RPMs up to around 3000rpm before engaging 2nd. Much smoother and easier on the clutch.[hr]
from what i know its harder on the clutch....easier on the syncros.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember when I first learned to drive a manual. My brother and I were driving some POS minivan that we bought for $500.00.

I was geting off the freeway and going left. I shifted to second, and then what I thought was third at around 42mph, but ended up back in 1st. Talk about a jolt. That van was never the same after that.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
READ AND LEARN
Old 11-05-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
just push the clutch... downshift and feather out the clutch..
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
that's what i do
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

WuBear is an unknown quantity at this point
after going through the article provided by hondaguru, i have one question. so rev-matching is done by double clutching? or is there another way to rev-match. thx for the help
Old 01-27-2003
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
lol.... look.... someone SEARCHED! lol.

Rev matching is this...

Let's say I'm in 3rd gear in my S2000 at 4000rpm..... I want to downshift to 2nd. To rev match, I push the clutch in, downshift to 2nd, and BEFORE letting the clutch out... I bring the revs up to around 6000rpm, since at my current speed, I figure I'll be at 6000rpms in 2nd gear. Now i let the clutch out.

That's rev matching.
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

WuBear is an unknown quantity at this point
i see, i was confused because what's the different between double clutch and rev matching then? I mean since you can rev up the engine just b4 you let go of the clutch, why would you want to do double clutch, which has one more step and the same effect?
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: WuBear
i see, i was confused because what's the different between double clutch and rev matching then? I mean since you can rev up the engine just b4 you let go of the clutch, why would you want to do double clutch, which has one more step and the same effect?[hr]
Rev-matching does help a lot and saves your synchros from wear and tear, but when it all comes down to it - it's up to the synchros to get the gears to engage smoothly.

Many older cars did not have any synchros, so if you wanted to downshift, you had to disengage the transmission (clutch-in), rev-match, and then reengage the transmission (clutch-out).

So you're right - with today's cars, there's no point in double-clutching.
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
I understand there is no point in doing this when driving at normal speeds, but I don't understand why everyone is saying that you should never ever double-clutch or heel and toe just because we have synchros. Isn't that part of what makes driving a manual tranmission fun, and just plain better than a slushbox ever could be?
If you're going to downshift at high speed going into a turn, to heel and toe will help ensure your front tires (or whatever the drive wheels are) maintain traction. Yeah, I know that belongs on a race track, anyway.... another thing, if you are downshifting, and you know there will be a large increase in engine speed, say you will be going from something like 2000rpm to 6000rpm, matching revs is actually quicker and much smoother than straining the synchros and playin with the clutch etc. Does anyone here actually like to drive or what?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Friedrice
I understand there is no point in doing this when driving at normal speeds, but I don't understand why everyone is saying that you should never ever double-clutch or heel and toe just because we have synchros. Isn't that part of what makes driving a manual tranmission fun, and just plain better than a slushbox ever could be?
If you're going to downshift at high speed going into a turn, to heel and toe will help ensure your front tires (or whatever the drive wheels are) maintain traction. Yeah, I know that belongs on a race track, anyway.... another thing, if you are downshifting, and you know there will be a large increase in engine speed, say you will be going from something like 2000rpm to 6000rpm, matching revs is actually quicker and much smoother than straining the synchros and playin with the clutch etc. Does anyone here actually like to drive or what?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
Double clutching does not = rev matching. I said that double clutching was unnecessary - you should still rev match on all downshifts.
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, yeah "rev matching" is keeping the clutch disengaged in neutral, still using synchros. I meant to say doulble-clutch/heeltoe... and I know its not necessary....but its definatly not wrong either.
Old 01-27-2003
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: V4sh
I have a question about shifting down. I use the double clutch technique to skip down a gear. So if Im in 4th gear and I want to go to second. I push the clutch once to shift to neutral, and then push in the clutch again to shift to second. I know that if you shift from 4th to second directly without double clutch (so pushing the clutch once while shifting from fourth to second) is bad for the car. But can you shift from fourth to second with the clutch in once if you shift to third gear first? So .... clutch in.....shift to third then second while the clutch is in the whole time. I heard that this is ok for the car. Is this bad for the car?[hr]
no its not bad for the car, but that is not what double clutching is. trust me, i drive big rigs, and there are no syncro's in those trannys.
Old 01-27-2003
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
i just downshift by pressing in the clutch, then braking with my other food till the speed gets down to within the range, say to second gear, like an almost stop and then i put the foot on the gas and just let go of the clutch and enable the gears at the right speed. you dont need to double clutch. just make sure when u enter the gear ur within a decent range of speed.
Old 01-28-2003
Registered!!

2k1sscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Just try it until you feel comfortable with your shifting. Its all wear and tear. IMHO

I do the rev match down shift.
Old 01-28-2003
Registered!!

Baghead is an unknown quantity at this point
i remember this thread. guess someone brought it back from the dead.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not a big-rig............

Quick Reply: stick drivers