General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

can i upgrade to h.i.d. w/o projectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pleasejoe is an unknown quantity at this point
can i upgrade to h.i.d. w/o projectors?

wut r the pro's and cons of having h.i.d. without projectors, i jus hate the look of projectors, i prefer the stock housing.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
well for one, our stock headlight housings were not meant to be used for HID systems.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen civics with them and I like the look I was thinking of getting them on my ride but not worth the $$$

Nick
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

XoULaBeAT is an unknown quantity at this point
i wanna see. anybody got them?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 01civicboi
well for one, our stock headlight housings were not meant to be used for HID systems.[hr]
someone told me the itr, jspec, headlights r liek ours but have h.i.d. can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Unleaded is an unknown quantity at this point
don't waste your money with H4 HID. the beam is wack and you'll end up blinding on coming traffic. I had 6000k and 8000k HID's for the stock housing and now i have tyc projectors and i love them.

you could see in the pic that there is stray light bouncing up, even with eylids on the headlights.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] hid1.jpg (11 Kb)
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Unleaded
don't waste your money with H4 HID. the beam is wack and you'll end up blinding on coming traffic. I had 6000k and 8000k HID's for the stock housing and now i have tyc projectors and i love them.[hr]
hey how can u blind others because our headlights have the bulb tip cover thingy built into it
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

it's the shape of the parabolic reflectors - they are not meant to be used with intense light. even though the HID bulbs have a glare shield on the bottom that prevents light from bouncing off the bottom of the headlight and up, some of the lights still find their way down there. this is what you call stray light.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

wouldnt ur eyelids make it difference, liek reduce the glare into the other driver?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

that was the reason why i bought the eyelids. it helped a little, but i was getting high beamed all the time. i aimed the beams lower, but that still didn't help. but the main reason why i got rid of it was because of the beam pattern. it was spotted and uneven, and the beam starts 10 ft. in front of the car. btw, do you have a hard time closing your hood now with the eyelids?
Old 11-04-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
i want hids.
i have ebay projectors.
but id think theyd melt if i installed them.
i think i need h3s u know of a good place to buy?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

STang57 is an unknown quantity at this point
even with all the cons mentioned im still considering HIDs with stock headlights. but 1st i would like to know if it is a direct fit. meaning do i have to alter the little deflector thingy inside the housing because the bulb is longer.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: STang57
even with all the cons mentioned im still considering HIDs with stock headlights. but 1st i would like to know if it is a direct fit. meaning do i have to alter the little deflector thingy inside the housing because the bulb is longer.[hr]
Stang57, i think you just summarized what i've been trying to explain in a couple of words. the reason for the wack beam is partially due to the longer bulb. the stock headlight is designed for a specific bulb length. to answer your question, it depends on the HID bulbs. some bulbs come with huge glare shields that look like they might not fit, but some have small glare shields that fits perfectly behind the stock shield.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

02EXCoupeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
The plug and play H4 HID kits are a direct fitting for our stock housings. There's no splicing of wires or modifications you need to make in order to make the HID system work. The only problem you'll have is finding a place to mount the ballasts. When I first installed my HID system, I drove around and got high beamed about 9 times that night. I was really pissed that I thought I bought a kit that couldn't be adjusted. I found on the stock housing the place where you can adjust the beam height so it doesn't shoot upwards. It's located at the top of the headlight and you'll see a small hole where you can fit a philips (4 slotted) screwdriver. That will adjust it up and down so you won't blind oncoming traffic anymore. I fixed that on mine and I love the way it looks, no problems what so ever.
Old 11-04-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
I found a place that sells HID bulbs that are exactly the same lengthas OEM Halogen bulbs and the gas in the HID bulb is in the same spot as the OEM Halogen bulb filament. They had pics too with the both bulbs side-by-side. But i forgot what the website was...

CivicVTec has H4 HID's in his ride and he says the beam pattern is good and no glare.. talk to him
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
The autolamps H4 hid kit comes with an adapter that is also a shield that offers a good beam pattern in halogen reflectors. The beam pattern with this kit is ok but it is not as wide as using projectors. This is why I decided to retro fit the Audi A6 HID projectors in to TYC housing, I get a very good beam pattern that is very wide and since the cutoff point is sharp I can aim the lights higher without causing glare.
Old 11-04-2002

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
[hr]Originally posted by: pdxbiker
The autolamps H4 hid kit comes with an adapter that is also a shield that offers a good beam pattern in halogen reflectors. The beam pattern with this kit is ok but it is not as wide as using projectors. This is why I decided to retro fit the Audi A6 HID projectors in to TYC housing, I get a very good beam pattern that is very wide and since the cutoff point is sharp I can aim the lights higher without causing glare.[hr]
Why did you have to mention Autolamps???......... MAN i want their H4 kit soooooooooo bad.. but no $$$$

Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
i got my Philips HID almost 2 years ago..they worked great...they are bright as hell, but so far no one has flash their high beam at me yet
Unleaded, you are right. our projector does reflect the light beam upward, because our headlamps are made for HIDs. So I solve this problem by spray paint my HID bulb (the bottom of the bulb) w/ high temperature paint, and now it's perfect. but bad thing is that u see so many damn bugs flying in front of you every time u drive by at night cause they thought its the SUN...lol[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Unleaded
btw, do you have a hard time closing your hood now with the eyelids?[hr]
no, i dont, do u?
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
Well contrary to what some people are saying, HID H4 kits work fine in our stock headlight housings. Plus most of the Projectors are H3 or are other sizes, not H4...

I know many people with 7thgens who have HID kits, ive sold to people and they have no problems. Its called knowing what your doing, or having it done right the first time. When your dealing with 500$ of equipment, do it right, or have it done.

Cheers
the baller
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
ur not supposed to use HID with projectors unless it came with them from factory. It will ruin the photmetrics of the lamp.
Old 11-04-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: 2k1Civic.Com
ur not supposed to use HID with projectors unless it came with them from factory. It will ruin the photmetrics of the lamp.[hr]
Do a little modding to the bulb or what not and you can get the right beam pattern... CivicVTec says his are good
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Hefe
[hr]Originally posted by: 2k1Civic.Com
ur not supposed to use HID with projectors unless it came with them from factory. It will ruin the photmetrics of the lamp.[hr]
Do a little modding to the bulb or what not and you can get the right beam pattern... CivicVTec says his are good[hr]
yeap, my is good, but bright as hell[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-04-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
so... after reading all this. if get hid for my projectors it will distort lens?
id have to do the audi retrofit thingy that pdxbiker did?
Old 11-04-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: speedracersong
so... after reading all this. if get hid for my projectors it will distort lens?
id have to do the audi retrofit thingy that pdxbiker did?[hr]
You mean distort like melt the lens??? If that's what you mean then no it won't because HID don't give off a lot of heat.. Halogens give off more. Our stock bulbs are 55/65W and HID is 35W.

But then it comes down to the crappy aftermarket projectors were not made for HID's either, I've heard more stories of bad lighting/beam patterns with aftermarket projectors that weren't made for HID. If you REALLY want to look like BMW's Audi's etc. then you will have to do like pdxbiker did, and find some HID projectors and do a custom job. But if you want to just get HID's with your projectors now then go for it. But it won't look good.

In the end it's all up to what you want to do.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Erichyung is an unknown quantity at this point
it won't look that great w/stock housing. the beam pattern will be ugly.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't the JDM Civic's have the HID as optional equipment!?