General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

*update* 2003 corolla s vs My 2001 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Element2k5 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: thaicivic
Hi,

I was wondering how fast does a normal stock civic 1.7 sohc vtec auto run from 0-100 km/h ? The magazine used an electronic machine which I forgot what it was callled, attached to the wheel or body of the car when conducting the test so this is not a human stop watch test, purely electronics. Honest opinions pls. ?

Thaicivic[hr]
well the best i did was about 9 flat... so i dunno what u want .... my ex is fairly good for the way i drive.. it takes me about 1/3mile to get to 100MPH.... i dunno what that translates to in Km/h.... but i know that 100km/h = 60mph
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

thaicivic is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Element2k5
Hi,

I was wondering how fast does a normal stock civic 1.7 sohc vtec auto run from 0-100 km/h ? The magazine used an electronic machine which I forgot what it was callled, attached to the wheel or body of the car when conducting the test so this is not a human stop watch test, purely electronics. Honest opinions pls. ?

Thaicivic[hr]
well the best i did was about 9 flat... so i dunno what u want .... my ex is fairly good for the way i drive.. it takes me about 1/3mile to get to 100MPH.... i dunno what that translates to in Km/h.... but i know that 100km/h = 60mph[hr]
Hi,

Is your car equipped with automatic transmission and is it in stock condition ? Any mods to the engine. If your car was auto, how did you sprint so fast, what rpm do you normally lauch to get the best time. I'm not racing or anything, I just wanted to know how to make the best out of auto. For me, I've tried putting the gear in D mode, while using my left foot to hit on the brake to keep the car still, I use my right foot and press on until about 4000 rpm and then let go of my left foot and just stepped on the gas.

Thaicivic

Old 10-25-2002
THE WOP

vincenzobar is an unknown quantity at this point
I will smoke the lexus with my dads V8 grand cherokee or his 76 corvette or my mom's GSR. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH will crush you. I know I am late but whatever, I am bored at work.
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: JoeB16
The point is, Lexi arnt race cars. Nor are they "fast" by any standards. If I were to get a "fast" luxury car it would HAVE to be an M3 or something of the like such as an Audi S4.

MY point is that his dads luxo boat is still, comparatively speaking, SLOW. And unless hes got some work done to it it’s not running anywhere near high 13s in the 1/4 mile, and therefore won’t keep up with my "slow" 1.6l civic, let alone my CBR which runs 11s stock out of the box.

You also forget, were not talking about an economy model 7th gen civic. I bought my car for 16,500. Ran 15.2 stock. Id say, comparatively speaking, my car is as quick if not quicker then the average "sport compact car" out on the market today. This includes everything from the SER Spec V to the RSX-S. and when price is factored in, it actually comes out on top.

Those terms are all relative.[hr]

No s-hit they are relative.. so stop calling Corolla & Civics slow. You think your SiR is FAST? It sure doesn't do 13s. That guy was comparing econo box vs econo box.. and in RELATIVE, Corolla is the QUICKEST in its class.

Thread after thread, you talk so much smack. You like hiding behind your computer 14 hours a day, putting down other people's cars.. calling them slow.. dog pictures of "owned"...

Why don't you offer something USEFUL? i havent seen you post anything constructive except pictures of cars you found on other sites. you're a little post *****!
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute
all i have to say is, my civic is cool...and i can take a 5-speed civic (w/o NOS or Turbo) anyday...my AUTO is just as fast, if not faster....[IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

Unstoppable is an unknown quantity at this point
Element- So what's the verdict? Think Corollas made some improvements with this one? Think the one you raced was slow? Or might be a good contender against the Civic had it been a stick?
Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

liquidsilver is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: vincenzobar
I will smoke the lexus with my dads V8 grand cherokee or his 76 corvette or my mom's GSR. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH will crush you. I know I am late but whatever, I am bored at work.[hr]
I'm sorry but you make me laugh............hahaha.

Grand Cherokee V8? I don't think so........
76 Vette? Unless its got NOS, Supercharger or any highend mods Idont' think so. If it's stock there's no way it could beat the lexus.
Mommy GSR? I hope you have either NOS or Supercharger....than it'll be close.

Know your facts dude......... The fastest Cherokee had the 5.9 L and it only does low 15's...............the GSR stock does mid 15s...........stock 76 vet does low to mid 15s as well.

Did you know that 82-83 vettes did around 7-8sec range from 0-60mph?

As far as stock GS400? it does 14.5 stock in 1/4 mile...........0-60;under 6 secs.

Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

Hi,

Thaicivic[hr]
well the best i did was about 9 flat... so i dunno what u want .... my ex is fairly good for the way i drive.. it takes me about 1/3mile to get to 100MPH.... i dunno what that translates to in Km/h.... but i know that 100km/h = 60mph[hr]
Hi,

Is your car equipped with automatic transmission and is it in stock condition ? Any mods to the engine. If your car was auto, how did you sprint so fast, what rpm do you normally lauch to get the best time. I'm not racing or anything, I just wanted to know how to make the best out of auto. For me, I've tried putting the gear in D mode, while using my left foot to hit on the brake to keep the car still, I use my right foot and press on until about 4000 rpm and then let go of my left foot and just stepped on the gas.

Thaicivic[hr]
if u had been paying attention i have a 5spd and raced an auto and i usually shift (when racing) at 6500rpm.... i launch at about 4krpm....
my car is pretty much stock except for my custom exhaust....
as for ur style... im not sure whats better for autos... i would just start at the lowest gears and work ur way up to 3rd... that way its like ur driving a manual but u have more control over ur acceleration, when ur rpms hit 6k then switch to a higher gear... cause the autos kinda lag when shifting.... the autos use a hydromatic type of drivetrain i belive... so trying to press the brake and the gas wont work... u could always do a neutral drop... but that kinda will hurt ur tranny in the long run. i really dont think the autos need to have a launch rpm... just press the gas and go
thats about all i really can tell u about that

well my sister has a 97 corolla and i tell u... the 2003 deserves a big

personally i think the corolla is out of our league unless its an auto.... then its pretty close... i mean he i didnt win by much... and for an auto.. .that was dam fast
had the corolla been a stick... he woulda been gone!!!!!
Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Thaicivic[hr]
Hi,

Thaicivic[hr]
if u had been paying attention i have a 5spd and raced an auto and i usually shift (when racing) at 6500rpm.... i launch at about 4krpm....
my car is pretty much stock except for my custom exhaust....
as for ur style... im not sure whats better for autos... i would just start at the lowest gears and work ur way up to 3rd... that way its like ur driving a manual but u have more control over ur acceleration, when ur rpms hit 6k then switch to a higher gear... cause the autos kinda lag when shifting.... the autos use a hydromatic type of drivetrain i belive... so trying to press the brake and the gas wont work... u could always do a neutral drop... but that kinda will hurt ur tranny in the long run. i really dont think the autos need to have a launch rpm... just press the gas and go
thats about all i really can tell u about that

well my sister has a 97 corolla and i tell u... the 2003 deserves a big

personally i think the corolla is out of our league unless its an auto.... then its pretty close... i mean he i didnt win by much... and for an auto.. .that was dam fast
had the corolla been a stick... he woulda been gone!!!!![hr]

he i....

EDIT: forgot something... speaking of fast luxury cars. such as the 540i or GS400. Those are Sports Sedans. I would think a fast luxury car would be something like a 745... they still do 0-60 in less than 6 with an auto...
Old 10-26-2002
Registered!!

woah there tonto... i never said ne thing about luxury cars..... especially ones that old rich ppl drive... cause i would never go against a beemer.....
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

aznsmtboy is on a distinguished road
why are you guys racing with these luxury cars. There's a guy on my forum that knows somebody that has a Mclaren F1 and he asked him why he never taken it to the track and you know what he said. "I couldn't imagine losing to a civic with $10,000 worth of mods when I know I paid a million bucks for mine." The MClaren F1 isn't a dragster and it's known for it's topend speed. It probably does about 11-12's in the 1/4 mile but, there are civics and integra's out there that do that and better. So this guy is smart, he knows he has a fast car but he doesn't take it out to go race, besides why would he want to ruin such a good car. Save the luxury cars for a nice weekend drive. If you want to race a lexus, just buy a IS300 and mod that. The GS400 is a nice car though.
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: aznsmtboy
why are you guys racing with these luxury cars. There's a guy on my forum that knows somebody that has a Mclaren F1 and he asked him why he never taken it to the track and you know what he said. "I couldn't imagine losing to a civic with $10,000 worth of mods when I know I paid a million bucks for mine." The MClaren F1 isn't a dragster and it's known for it's topend speed. It probably does about 11-12's in the 1/4 mile but, there are civics and integra's out there that do that and better. So this guy is smart, he knows he has a fast car but he doesn't take it out to go race, besides why would he want to ruin such a good car. Save the luxury cars for a nice weekend drive. If you want to race a lexus, just buy a IS300 and mod that. The GS400 is a nice car though.[hr]
Dude...the guy with the Mclaren is nuts....so what if you get spanked by a civic......or a $30000 Camaro SS or $5000 88 Stang 5.0 with Nos and Supercharger....bottem line is "We race for fun" isn't it? Why do Civic drivers race when the car is meant to be one of the best economy cars available? Honda civic is peppy and it could be really fast but most of us purchase the car because of it's great reliability, gas mileage, and low operating costs plus it's fun to drive!! Tell him to go out and have fun with the car......otherwise I could show him how to have some fun with it!
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: liquidsilver
[hr]Originally posted by: aznsmtboy
why are you guys racing with these luxury cars. There's a guy on my forum that knows somebody that has a Mclaren F1 and he asked him why he never taken it to the track and you know what he said. "I couldn't imagine losing to a civic with $10,000 worth of mods when I know I paid a million bucks for mine." The MClaren F1 isn't a dragster and it's known for it's topend speed. It probably does about 11-12's in the 1/4 mile but, there are civics and integra's out there that do that and better. So this guy is smart, he knows he has a fast car but he doesn't take it out to go race, besides why would he want to ruin such a good car. Save the luxury cars for a nice weekend drive. If you want to race a lexus, just buy a IS300 and mod that. The GS400 is a nice car though.[hr]
Dude...the guy with the Mclaren is nuts....so what if you get spanked by a civic......or a $30000 Camaro SS or $5000 88 Stang 5.0 with Nos and Supercharger....bottem line is "We race for fun" isn't it? Why do Civic drivers race when the car is meant to be one of the best economy cars available? Honda civic is peppy and it could be really fast but most of us purchase the car because of it's great reliability, gas mileage, and low operating costs plus it's fun to drive!! Tell him to go out and have fun with the car......otherwise I could show him how to have some fun with it![hr]
i would never race w/ a mclaren, hell i would never drive one if i had one. id just drool and stare at it. civics are not peppy in the least.
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

Lol you know what's the sad part? The Corolla S has the same engine as the CE and LE. So thats' why I bought a CE b/c that means I'm paying $4000 more for a skirt kit and fog lights. In other words, even the lowest models Corollas can give the EX a run for its money or comparable to the EX. That's somewhat disappointing for a car that costs so much less. Heck it makes me wonder why I paid $27,000 Can. for a Si (ex) when I pay $22,000 for a CE that performs better and looks are comparable.
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Unstoppable
Lol you know what's the sad part? The Corolla S has the same engine as the CE and LE. So thats' why I bought a CE b/c that means I'm paying $4000 more for a skirt kit and fog lights. In other words, even the lowest models Corollas can give the EX a run for its money or comparable to the EX. That's somewhat disappointing for a car that costs so much less. Heck it makes me wonder why I paid $27,000 Can. for a Si (ex) when I pay $22,000 for a CE that performs better and looks are comparable.[hr]
just cause its got the same engine doesnt mean that its necessarily the same car.... the tranny ratios might be different, and the tire sizes are a little bigger... im not sure what the real differences are... but i still think the 2003 corolla deserves my
Old 10-27-2002
Saj
Registered!!

Saj is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend said that he look under the hood of the new corrolla and it has VTEC... i thought it was a honda thing.
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
please end your self.
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Booohahaha
u will kill him.. just cuz the fact that he's got auto!!!!
cant tell u how many times i gotten raped by 5 speed's!!![hr]
... dude... hes got 3 more hp... do you know how insignificant that is? Buy an K&N air filter... that will give you 2 or 3 hp.... then you'll be BURNING up the road! Whoa ya!
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Saj
my friend said that he look under the hood of the new corrolla and it has VTEC... i thought it was a honda thing.[hr]
Corollas don't have VTEC...its called VVTI something similiar to VTEC. In fact...many companies have similar technologies that accomplishes the same thing.

Oh and when I said looks were comparable, as in Sedan to Sedan comparison. Civic coupe looks way better of course ( =
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

Em2Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
hrm..................ok so who won?
Old 10-27-2002
Registered!!

Lol you know what's the sad part? The Corolla S has the same engine as the CE and LE. So thats' why I bought a CE b/c that means I'm paying $4000 more for a skirt kit and fog lights. In other words, even the lowest models Corollas can give the EX a run for its money or comparable to the EX. That's somewhat disappointing for a car that costs so much less. Heck it makes me wonder why I paid $27,000 Can. for a Si (ex) when I pay $22,000 for a CE that performs better and looks are comparable.[hr]
just cause its got the same engine doesnt mean that its necessarily the same car.... the tranny ratios might be different, and the tire sizes are a little bigger... im not sure what the real differences are... but i still think the 2003 corolla deserves my [hr]

My friend...........all Corollas are the same mechanically. Same engine, tranny, gear ratio, etc etc etc. The differences are it's equipments, options, cosmetics, interior bits and pieces. You know what's also another underated car is? 2000-2002 Corolla. They are lighter and has same VVTi engine but 5 horses less. Not as fast as Civic Si /SiR(Canadian) but quicker than all SOHC civic motors. The last gen Corollas handles kinda crappy though. Trust me , I had 2000 Corolla and it was quick.

Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Em2Guy
hrm..................ok so who won?[hr]
well i won overall.. but it was reall close
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

BlueRevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally this is over............ I think and Hope
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

sevenincubus is an unknown quantity at this point
Well congrats on the win. I raced a 95 accord lx 5 spd and a 01 sentra gxe 5spd once and had fun and beat them both too. I have an lx.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

just cause its got the same engine doesnt mean that its necessarily the same car.... the tranny ratios might be different, and the tire sizes are a little bigger... im not sure what the real differences are... but i still think the 2003 corolla deserves my [hr]

My friend...........all Corollas are the same mechanically. Same engine, tranny, gear ratio, etc etc etc. The differences are it's equipments, options, cosmetics, interior bits and pieces. You know what's also another underated car is? 2000-2002 Corolla. They are lighter and has same VVTi engine but 5 horses less. Not as fast as Civic Si /SiR(Canadian) but quicker than all SOHC civic motors. The last gen Corollas handles kinda crappy though. Trust me , I had 2000 Corolla and it was quick.[hr]
hmmm. well is a 2000 corolla as quick as the new ones? because a friend of mine has a 2001 (auto), and I pull more than a car length on him if we race. i can't remember by how much, but my car is definatly a lot quicker than his.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: NitehawkVTEC

My friend...........all Corollas are the same mechanically. Same engine, tranny, gear ratio, etc etc etc. The differences are it's equipments, options, cosmetics, interior bits and pieces. You know what's also another underated car is? 2000-2002 Corolla. They are lighter and has same VVTi engine but 5 horses less. Not as fast as Civic Si /SiR(Canadian) but quicker than all SOHC civic motors. The last gen Corollas handles kinda crappy though. Trust me , I had 2000 Corolla and it was quick.[hr]
hmmm. well is a 2000 corolla as quick as the new ones? because a friend of mine has a 2001 (auto), and I pull more than a car length on him if we race. i can't remember by how much, but my car is definatly a lot quicker than his.[hr]

I hope that you have an auto as well dude. You have to remember that the 1ZZFE engine is the same engine thats found in Celica GT and the Matrix/Vibe......except that it has detuned exhaust, cam, intake.

Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

no no. i've got 5spd. so it makes sense that i beat him. the only reason i was saying a car length is because that's what this guy with the 5spd EX pulled on the Auto 2003. but yea. i really burn the 2001 Auto, because it's an auto.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

well i was trying my hardest... its not easy moving a stock engine... besides i was shifting at 6500 rpm...
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
You would have won by more if you would have shifted at redline.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
You would have won by more if you would have shifted at redline.[hr]
well the redline is actually at 6800 rpm.. so i dont know how much more that woulda helped...

besides the power curve is 6300 thats where the most power is produced...

Quick Reply: *update* 2003 corolla s vs My 2001 civic ex