General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Permatex The Right Stuff fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Permatex The Right Stuff fail

So I recently had a bad experience with Permatex The Right Stuff Grey when used to make an oil pan gasket. I needed to change my oil pan, but I didn't want to wait 24 hours for the sealant to dry.

So I bought Permatex The Right Stuff Grey gasket maker. The claim is that there is no need to wait for it to cure before the car can be driven again, which sounded wonderful. My plan was to change the oil pan that morning and then go to a friend's house about 30 miles away.

So I removed the old oil pan, thoroughly cleaned the sealing surface of the block with acetone and a wire brush, wiped down the new oil pan's sealing flange to ensure that there was no oil or grease to interfere with making a seal, applied a 1/4 inch bead of The Right Stuff like the instructions say to, and torqued the nuts and bolts to 9 ft lbs like the torque spec I found said to.

After I installed the oil pan, I reconnected the exhaust, reinstalled the shifter cable, support brackets, and all the other pieces, and then gave it even more time to dry while I showered and got ready to go. It probably had about 2 hours to cure in a 70 degree garage before I filled it with oil, even though it apparently didn't require any time to cure according to the instructions.

But despite my best efforts, it leaked badly under the driver's side of the oil pan under the oil pump. I was so disgusted.

But even worse, the oil had little grey blobs in it. So basically that crap dissolved in the oil.

So the next day I removed the oil pan (again) to clean the crap out and remake the gasket with Hondabond, and the gasket maker never did cure, it was still tacky. WTF

So once I remade the gasket with Hondabond and allowed it to cure for 24 hours, there are no leaks whatsoever

I contacted Permatex about this, but I still haven't heard back from them over a week later, but I will report back if and when I do.

So I would not recommend this product for obvious reasons, although it's possible that I just got a bad batch since so many other people have had great luck with this product. Have any of you ever used this product or had a similar experience? If so, let us know!