Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rolla is an unknown quantity at this point
oil leak?

okay so after changing my oil
i park my car and leave it out for a while, after i notice a little puddle of oil on my garage floor
so i check my car for a possible oil leak i rub my finger around the oil pan gasket and notice there is quite a bit of oil around it
phone up my dealership and they said they'd take a look at it,
they tell me its not the gasket its just oil residue from the oil change and they'll clean it off with brake clean, so they do, when i get back i run my finger aroudn the gasket again and there is still oil around it
and another small puddle of oil on my garage floor after a couple of hours
its not leaking alot, it seems to be very little but i'm afraid its gunna get worse,
what should i do?
i mean its a brand new car 05 civic with 4k on it and a tech aleady said its not the gasket,
should i bring my car in immidietly or see what happens in the next few days?

oh and the worst part is they charged me 18 bux just to look at it and clean it
Old 04-20-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
yes bring it in to them again. the car should NOT be leaking oil like that. my guess it IS the gasket, but regardless, they need to fix it so it's not leaking oil. if need be, find another dealership to take it to. if you were in wisconsin i could help you out.
Old 04-21-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
it could be that they reused the crush gasket that goes on the oil drain plug
Old 04-21-2005
Registered!!

rolla is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
it could be that they reused the crush gasket that goes on the oil drain plug
nah i did the oil chage myself made sure i didnt' do that
anyways im gunna ge tmy buddy to look at it if he finds the problem im going back to honda and showing them and asking for my money back for checking and cleaning it
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
do they sale the crush gasket and oil plug separately?

also, do they even stock those at the dealership, or usually it is special order for the year of civic you have?
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by orion_squall
do they sale the crush gasket and oil plug separately?

also, do they even stock those at the dealership, or usually it is special order for the year of civic you have?
the dealer should have tons of oil drain plugs and washers on hand. And they arent crush washers, just regular metal or aluminum washers.
Old 05-10-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Drain bolt is probably special order. My local stealer didn't have them, so I bought 2 just in case. The crush washers.... i get them by the handful for free. They're maybe $.75 a piece if you buy them from Honda.... if you buy them from Acura, the same washer is about $2.00, don't ask, I don't know.
Old 05-14-2005
Registered!!

Cyberkinetic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having the same problem with my 01 civic. It's dripping oil from the drain bolt area. I recently replaced the washer, which I noticed was quite warped, and I figured that would fix the problem; unfortunately it's still dripping a little oil. I'm going to try replacing the drain bolt. I hope I don't have to replace my oil pan, but it just seems to be dripping from around the bolt, and doesn't appear that the gasket is cracked.
Old 05-14-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Cyberkinetic
I'm having the same problem with my 01 civic. It's dripping oil from the drain bolt area. I recently replaced the washer, which I noticed was quite warped, and I figured that would fix the problem; unfortunately it's still dripping a little oil. I'm going to try replacing the drain bolt. I hope I don't have to replace my oil pan, but it just seems to be dripping from around the bolt, and doesn't appear that the gasket is cracked.
I had to replace my oil pan because of that, and now it doesnt drip at all.