General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Does anyone else know what happens after 115mph?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WesDLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone else know what happens after 115mph?

I finally found the web site I have been looking for.

I am VERY surprised that there has been no talk about this. Whenever I go past 115mph the car 'cuts out'. To explain - it’s like when you unplug a light and then plug it back in real quick. The car does not turn off, it just does not go any faster. I keep pushing it after it 'hick-ups' / 'cuts out' and then a couple secs later it does it again. How do you stop it? Am I just so brain dead that it is like taking a **** for everyone else? Obviously it’s a safety thing like - "Moron your driving really fast" - as if I didn't know. Just throw me a bone someone.....

Also, that DIY on clearing the Headlights was very helpful. Thanks.

Now that I have looked around the site a bit more, I came upon the TYC's Silver Projector Headlight.
This is a link so you know what I am talking about
They look really cool and would obviously go nice with my silver 2002 Coupe. But, I would only get them if they have the rear to go with them. (I hate that Altezza whatever crap) I have looked around and have not seen any, and thought maybe someone knows something. I can't understand why they would only make a front set and not a rear set. I suppose I will just have to wait till they do. Will they?

I also have a question on Armorial. I head from one guy that it is bad. He said that after a while it releases vapors and such that puts a nasty film on your windows and fogs them and that in the long run it is bad for the vinyl. It does not make much since to me, but with my ignorance he has got me in a quandary.

While I am at it, does anyone know how to dim the dash lights even more? I am the kinda’ guy that likes a very 'stealthy' interior look. There is that **** under the tac. and it does not go low enough for my taste. Is there some mod/DIY to fix that?

Just to set the story straight for myself. The OEM Fog lights suck from what I have been hearing, and that there are no others/aftermarket ones at all. Something to do with PINN not making H4?

Speaking of lights, I know most of you want your turn indicator to blink fast and really fast. BTW - there is a DIY around on how to do that and it was very informational. But I want my flasher to pulsate rather than blink really fast. Anyone have a clue as to how I could accomplish this? And if you do, could you also describe the differences depending on if you have LEDs or bulbs. I understand LEDs are less demanding for power.

Speaking of power, what is the OEM head unit rated watt wise for. I hate all of those Alpine, Pioneer, and Sony head units that light up like a Christmas tree. Like I said, I like a stealthy look. The reason I am asking is because I want to swap out those OEM speakers, but don’t know what to get.

Speaking of don’t know what to get, I have learned that some body kits are bad because they are made of fiberglass. I was looking at getting the Tsunami Type L or F, but I don't know if they are fiberglass or the good stuff - Urethane. I am also thinking of the WingsWest G5 kit. Is Type L and F Urethane and of those three which do you like?

Speaking of what you like, does anyone have XM radio? Is it worth the 10 bucks a month?

Speaking of a Month, I have what may be an interesting story. Last February I bought a 2001 DX Civic Silver. I bought it used because my dad was co-signing and he said that i was getting a used car. There is a reason for the DX model, but I won't go into that. It had 28,000 miles on it, and I bought it for 14,400 with the extended warranty, and a CD changer because the sales manager's uncle is a coach at the same school where my step-mom works. After a month of loving my car, is found its way into a guardrail on an interchange (Damn that rain and crapy handling going really fast on a sharp comer - live and learn) I got out of my car and then I heard a sound I just had heard a bit ago; The sound of screeching tires. I looked at oncoming traffic and there was a car skidding out of control like I just did. With my cat like reflexes and the speed of Flash, I jumped over the guardrail and didn't look back. When it was all quite, I turned and saw that the LADY had hit me in the rear and pushed my car from the edge of the guardrail into the lane of traffic; A good 25 feet. The first interesting part of the story is that the LADY who hit me was my great grandma’s hair dresser for 40 years. I used to take my great grandma to her hair dresser every Tuesday at 2:00. Isn’t that just wiled…?. I took my lousy insurance company 2 weeks to deem it totaled and another week to decide to give me the purchasing price for the car minus a hundred or two. So I was back to square one. As I talked to people, one guy told me about his very nice experience buying a car through Costco (A buy in bulk supermarket: kinda’ like Sam’s Club). The thing about Costco was that the program was only for new cars, but my dad and I tried it anyway knowing that a new car was going to be more expensive. I know own a 2002 DX Civic Silver that had 7 miles on it, that door and wheel well black strip guard stuff, and mud flaps for - this is the second interesting/weird part- 14,800 dollars. That about blew my dad’s mind. The best part of the whole thing, I got the CD changer out of the old car all legit, since it was thrown in extra and not apart of the actually purchase of the first car, and installed it in my new car. 28,000 miles less, black strip guard stuff, mud flaps, and new car smell for 400 dollars more. Isn't life full of surprises? (The other crazy thing is that I didn’t test drive either car. I have had 3 cars in my life so far and none of them have I test Driven before I bought them.)

Well that should keep all of you busy and out of trouble. I cant belive I spent 2 hours making this. Well,

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
That is just the rev limiter...my old Sonoma did it at 98 mph. All the computer is doing is making it so that you can not go faster and it usually does it by cutting off the fuel pump.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry bout that, but yeah its the governor on the car that limits how fast your top speed can go, however my si has already hit 124 and no governor at that speed so dont know... anyways there are ways of getting around it
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

01civic911 is an unknown quantity at this point
14,400 used and 14,800 new?? you got raped on both of those prices. i bought my 2001 lx with 14 miles on it and got it for 13,700. Theres a thing called negotiation, you should try it some time. and about the oem fog light, they're H11 and it is hard to find aftermarket ones, but i believe a few people on the site have found them. Just about every question you asked could have been answered by searching bc i believe just about every question you asked has been discussed before. The one thing that may not have though, is the stock stereo. I believe it puts out 120 total watts or 30 watts per channel. You could always amp the speakers and get a sub if you choose bc the stock stereo does have one set of rca outs, so you could always do just speakers and then bridge out of the amp into the sub.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

sailorboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome WesDLuke, but I think you need a "governor" for your megapost[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] You got about 5 posts worth of questions there. You're hurtin' my brain, it's Sunday[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

BIGLIMPDOG is an unknown quantity at this point
hey my car has been over on 135 before (on Nitrous) but i found no governer!! HUH wierd. he did yall no that honda can tell what your top speed has been? it stores in our computers because they asked me about when my check engine light came on!!
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

WesDLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
OK

So I now know there is a 'governor' computer chip thing that cuts the fuel off. That’s great, but how do I turn the 'governor' off?

Your right. I should have done a more through search. Armor All sucks as I have found out and Tsunami are Urethane.

But I still couldn't find anything on the turn indicator. There is a lot about hyper blinking, but nothing on pulsating.
I also still don't know about dimming the dash lights more. There is a lot about changing the bulbs/LEDs, but nothing on dimming it more.

120 total watts on the stereo? Thanks.

I also still don't know about rear lights that match the silver projectors for the front. Are they out there or not? If not, will they ever be?

I have read some more on the fog light issue, and think everyone seems to think that the OEM ones are fine, and I will just have to wait like everyone else for some brighter H11 bulbs.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what happens after 115 mph...then again im driving an ex which im not sure but its gov. is prob 130 if it exists. at 120 you hear vibrational noises from the passengerside front panel, car doesnt shake tho.
Old 05-12-2002
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
i've gotten my car up to 123 without hittin the govenor. i slowed down cause of a turn. it still seemed like it wanted more
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

BIGLIMPDOG is an unknown quantity at this point
NOPE NO GOVERNER ON MY EX OR MY OTHER TWO FRIENDS CAUSE WE JUST RAN THEM UP 125-130 AREA!!
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
its to prevent you from going back in time.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point

<< its to prevent you from going back in time. >>

LOL [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

The fastest I've ever seen someone go in a Civic EX 5-speed was 140MPH. But once you hit 117, the car is nearly out of breath.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
WARNING

Don't do this on stock tires.
Old 05-12-2002
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
hey JOEB16 i thought that was 88mph then you go back in time[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

2001CivicEx2dr is an unknown quantity at this point
you need 1.21 jiggawatts to do that!

and how do you spell jiggawatts?