General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Vibration When It Rains!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
otep12 is an unknown quantity at this point
The grinding sound on the front right wheel well have been a long standing problem for me for over a year now whenever I run over some water or basically when it rains. The vibrating from under the car I recently just felt when it was raining and I had my exhaust already. I definitely think it's coming from somewhere the exhaust pipe under the car.
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont have this problem, but i have a lx auto, suppose this problem is common to ex's because of position of the cat? I live where it rains a lot too.
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

i have an lx auto
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a DX 5-speed
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

CUE2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I always thought it was my mid-pipe because it all started after I got my mid-pipe done and my muffler.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Mohawks' theory makes sense though.. I don't know. Did anyone ever bring it to the dealer and actually got an answer aside from..."it's normal"... BS....

Team RR [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

tsunamisplash is an unknown quantity at this point
k.. before people make anymore guesses..

this is NOT a transmission specific problem. (it has occured on both autos and manual transmissions)
this is NOT a trim level specific problem. (everyone from dx to ex/si has had it happen)
this has nothing to do with A/C. (dx models do NOT have A/C, yet still have the problem)
it is from either rain or snow.
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

<< k.. before people make anymore guesses..

this is NOT a transmission specific problem. (it has occured on both autos and manual transmissions)
this is NOT a trim level specific problem. (everyone from dx to ex/si has had it happen)
this has nothing to do with A/C. (dx models do NOT have A/C, yet still have the problem)
it is from either rain or snow.
>>

My DX has a/c and power locks[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
your right tsnami splash also

This is not a mid-pipe problem since people with OEM and Custom piping have the bad sounds
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

Okay..

Not Model Specific
Not A/C
Not Midpipe
Not Transmission.

Only thing all cars have in common is engine mounts and suspension and drive shafts. Suspension won't do that from getting wet if it's holding a straight line.. might grin when turning..

The only logical possibility left the is the engine mounts, or driveshafts (which are sealed so that's pretty much ruled out)...

Process of deduction. Can anyone think of anything other possibilties..I'm not about to take my hood off and ride on the fender while someone drives me through a puddle to see what it really is [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

bo0sT is an unknown quantity at this point
ha-now i feel like i bought a POS. I get the same vibration during rain-thought it had something to do with CAI cuz i bought the CAI like a week after i got the car along with my magnaflow exhaust. My buddy said he thought water got in the transmission got hot, and boiled (he also has a 2k1 with same problem) i guess you guys ruled that out though. i also get the grinding-clicking noise now when i turn right only. it doesn't always happen, but i hear it everyday. I am suppossed to take it into the dealership because i think it's my cv joint clicking when i turn. My question is.. would that still be under warranty even though i have (springs, CAI, header w/cat, pulleys) i think it would be.
-needs to trade in for my subey wrx.,
Old 05-01-2002
Registered!!

if it's engine mounts.. i believe there are aftermarket ones available now.. is this true? if there are.. anyone wanna be the guinea pig and test it out? these things only cost about $100 CDN at most. heck.. buy a pair of Nike Shox and use the shox as engine mounts!
Old 05-02-2002
Registered!!

engine mounts eh? what is that specifically
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
DX-G has A/C, Power door locks and CD player.

Well no more problem for me... i traded up!
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

Machina is an unknown quantity at this point
OK guys, I have been posting messages all over the forums about a knocking/vibrating sound that recently started...my car is 2 months old and had no problems UNTIL I got the Magnaflow exhaust...I'm 100% positive it is the problem...the downpipe(one attached to manifold) was not designed properly...the noise you're all hearing is the pipe rubbing on the suspension bar on the driver's side...this is because it is not bent enough to clear the suspension arm....I had a guy from the garage sit in my car and took him out for a spin and he heard it and said right away that that was the noise was...my garage has already bent it more and added a longer hanger, but on a hard right I still get the noise...and the rain OMFG, that is the worst eh...really bad when it's raining...so this monday I'll be going in to drop my car and they are going to fix the exhaust problem or else I want a refund...if their last attempt fails the stock system will go back on and we'll see if the noise is still there...if it's not, the money better be coming back to me...if the noise is still there then, I'm gunna sue the garage for fu-king up my car, hahaha....so I'll post back in thos thread sometime on monday and let you all know my findings...until then, stay out of the rain and don't make any hard rights...
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

<< Okay..

Not Model Specific
Not A/C
Not Midpipe
Not Transmission.

Only thing all cars have in common is engine mounts and suspension and drive shafts. Suspension won't do that from getting wet if it's holding a straight line.. might grin when turning..

The only logical possibility left the is the engine mounts, or driveshafts (which are sealed so that's pretty much ruled out)...

Process of deduction. Can anyone think of anything other possibilties..I'm not about to take my hood off and ride on the fender while someone drives me through a puddle to see what it really is [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
>>

Lemme just add that it's also not an intake problem. Not all have aftermarket intakes and still have the same problem.

Someone mentioned the cat being hot and splashed with water causes the vibration. I don't know how the catalytic converter works so if anyone does, maybe you could enlighten us on this.
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

<< OK guys, I have been posting messages all over the forums about a knocking/vibrating sound that recently started...my car is 2 months old and had no problems UNTIL I got the Magnaflow exhaust...I'm 100% positive it is the problem...the downpipe(one attached to manifold) was not designed properly...the noise you're all hearing is the pipe rubbing on the suspension bar on the driver's side...this is because it is not bent enough to clear the suspension arm....I had a guy from the garage sit in my car and took him out for a spin and he heard it and said right away that that was the noise was...my garage has already bent it more and added a longer hanger, but on a hard right I still get the noise...and the rain OMFG, that is the worst eh...really bad when it's raining...so this monday I'll be going in to drop my car and they are going to fix the exhaust problem or else I want a refund...if their last attempt fails the stock system will go back on and we'll see if the noise is still there...if it's not, the money better be coming back to me...if the noise is still there then, I'm gunna sue the garage for fu-king up my car, hahaha....so I'll post back in thos thread sometime on monday and let you all know my findings...until then, stay out of the rain and don't make any hard rights... >>

we've already discussed this.. it is NOT due to an aftermarket exhaust. I DO NOT HAVE AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST nor do many other members who are having the problem.

please please please read more of the thread.
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

<< we've already discussed this.. it is NOT due to an aftermarket exhaust. I DO NOT HAVE AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST nor do many other members who are having the problem.

please please please read more of the thread.
>>

Actually I read the entire thread cause I have been worried sick about the noise...and for me IT IS the downpipe cause upon raising the car up on the hydraulic lift, you can see the marks it made on the suspension arm...my car is 2 months old and only started making the noise when the car came down off the lift and I drove out of the parking lot, making a right turn...while the stock muffler was on it has rained, snowed, hailed, you name it, and the problem started with the addition on the exhaust...if you don't have an exhaust then maybe you have a different problem than me...but i gaurantee if I end up having to put the stock system on again the noise will be gone...if not then Honda can take the POS back and I'll get something different...even though I love this 7thGen...
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

<< Actually I read the entire thread cause I have been worried sick about the noise...and for me IT IS the downpipe cause upon raising the car up on the hydraulic lift, you can see the marks it made on the suspension arm...my car is 2 months old and only started making the noise when the car came down off the lift and I drove out of the parking lot, making a right turn...while the stock muffler was on it has rained, snowed, hailed, you name it, and the problem started with the addition on the exhaust...if you don't have an exhaust then maybe you have a different problem than me...but i gaurantee if I end up having to put the stock system on again the noise will be gone...if not then Honda can take the POS back and I'll get something different...even though I love this 7thGen... >>

You're right. You have a different problem. This thread discusses a vibration/grinding sound that you probably mistaked as yours.
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

well well well, guess what?...the problem is gone...for any of you who are having this problem with an aftermarket catback exhaust, like the magnaflow I have, you'll need to modify the downpipe attched to the manifold...yesterday the garage bend the pipe more to run through the center of the channel of the suspension arms, and the sound is gone...EVEN in the RAIN...for those of you having this problem with OEM exhaust, I suggest taking it to the dealership and getting them to fix it...

Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

<< well well well, guess what?...the problem is gone...for any of you who are having this problem with an aftermarket catback exhaust, like the magnaflow I have, you'll need to modify the downpipe attched to the manifold...yesterday the garage bend the pipe more to run through the center of the channel of the suspension arms, and the sound is gone...EVEN in the RAIN...for those of you having this problem with OEM exhaust, I suggest taking it to the dealership and getting them to fix it...

>>

Problems not with the exhaust amigo [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] OEM cases anyhow
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

as for my problem, I did notice that it started when I got my mid-pipe done. When I am making a right turn and especially when it rains. I'm going to check with my garage and see what they can do for me.
Thanks Machina hopefully this solves MY problem.

Team RR [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

<< Problems not with the exhaust amigo [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] OEM cases anyhow >>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]...I wasn't referring to the OEM exhaust being a problem, I meant that something was wrong with the car for people who still have their OEM exhaust....guess I should've worded it differently...[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Hey Cue, get yer ride up on the hoist and look to see if there arre any marks on the exhaust and suspension are where they sit beside each other...it there is, that's the problem...then get the garage to bend your pipe so it sits away 2-3 inches from the suspension arm...I did and am so happy...no I can take those on and off ramps doing 80 ..haha...cause i got my springs on now to...[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

Thanks again Machina I'll get it checked this weekend.

Team RR [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

andy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude
Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I might know what it is, check my reply in Vehicle Issue Problems, Vibration when rains.
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

can you PM it to me solar, i'm lazy =p
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

Midknightz is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 LX coupe and I drive in Seattle and haven't had any problem other than the whining noise I hear when i rev it past 2,500 rpms but no one can figure out what it is so i'll live with it until i get a CAI and exhaust to drown out the noise. Works for me.
Old 05-11-2002
Registered!!

<< I have a 2002 LX coupe and I drive in Seattle and haven't had any problem other than the whining noise I hear when i rev it past 2,500 rpms but no one can figure out what it is so i'll live with it until i get a CAI and exhaust to drown out the noise. Works for me. >>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] that whining noise is our pu$$y engines trying to let 115 horses out of the gate....

[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont have the noise, but my car is lowered with different exhaust.

If it was a rubbing of the downpipe, why would it not rub when you first had the car?
Could be engine mounts...does it vibrate at only certain RPM or veichle speed?

I read through the whole post and you guys did a pretty good job of narrowing it down, good luck with finding the sound.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

Pedrito is an unknown quantity at this point
alright guys i also have this problem...i have an ex 5-speed...and i read this thread 2 days ago and yesterday their were huge thunderstorms and my car was rained on like no other...i felt the vibration under my shiftknob as well and it is really annoying...once u rev. it goes away....i think it has to do w/ the catalyic converter vibrating the heatshiled which vibrates the trans which vibrates the syncros on your shifter....i dont kno if that is for sure just a guess...what u think???

Quick Reply: Vibration When It Rains!!