General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Need advice on what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krill328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need advice on what to do....

I have a 01 Civic lx auto and I have been looking to upgrade to prob an 03 si. My only worry has been having stick because i use my car during the day to deliver things to different stores. I love driving stick but I dont know how it will be driving a lot of miles with a stick car. Does anyone here drive a lottttt of miles on a manual car? if so how much? and do you like it?

also is the 03 si much faster then the 01 civic
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I put a lot of miles on my standard but most arent in gridlock traffic, that's the only time it sucks. And just a personal preference myself but I'd get the base RSX, same engine and tranny but I think it looks better. But if your just doing delivery and its not crazy traffic I think you'll enjoy it. You have so much more control over the car. It makes driving funner.
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
The Si's aren't THAT much faster than a manual EX from past experiences that members have posted.

Going from a LX auto to the SI will be a pretty big jump imo.

Once you get driving a stick down you don't even think about when you drive it.
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

how many miles u do in a week ian01ex
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Manuals only get "annoying" to drive in stop and go traffic...personally I don't mind it since I don't have to slam on the brake when I'm stopped and just pull the clutch out a lil when I need to move up.

Just go with the manual....its so much more fun to drive.
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

tequilaeric is an unknown quantity at this point
I do a ton of clicks on my car. I have an 02 civic coupe in stick. the only pain in the butt is on the highways in stop and go. city isn't bad, even with traffic...
Stick is much more fun, and gives you more feeling of control...plus if you have an exhaust...stick makes it sound SO much better....
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

is the stick much faster then auto
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say maybe 400 a week which I guess isnt that much but its school and home and home to work and home to fire hall. So its a lot of short trips but I wouldnt go back to auto anymore.
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

VicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura about
My vic is my DD. I drive about 20K a year and in some pretty rough traffic sometimes. I got a stick anyway. Stop & go traffic sucks no matter what you drive and all the rest of the time a stick is much more fun. Get the stick.
Old 09-26-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Like others have said, it depends on where you have to most of your driving. I love my manual, but curse it everytime i'm stuck in traffic more than five or ten minutes. If most of your driving is on the highway, or normal city driving, go for the manual. But if you find yourself in stop and go traffic all the time, the stick is prolly going to **** you off. Have you considered getting a really inexpensive second car, (read beater) to use for work and keep wear and miles off your nice car?? Doesn't have to be anything special, maybe $500 or so. Look around. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
I was doing a little over 500 miles a week this summer and I never got tired of my car being a manual.
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
The Si's aren't THAT much faster than a manual EX from past experiences that members have posted.

Going from a LX auto to the SI will be a pretty big jump imo.

Once you get driving a stick down you don't even think about when you drive it.
you're correct. i've got an 02 5 speex ex w/ i/h/e and my car is faster than my friends 04 si w/ intake, but it's only a little bit faster.

but i will warn you though, if you live in a city with a lot of traffic then you'll be coming home with numb left foot every now and then. try getting held up in wreck traffic on atlanta's i-285 for 5 hours and you'll see what i mean.

once you get used to it though it wont be so bad. eventually you'll get to the point where you wont even think about it. id buy the 5 speed.
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
get a SMG tranny :P

and as for the post above, sorry but your friend must be a crappy driver

Last edited by Curiouz_G; 09-26-2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost