General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

airbags didnt go off!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wishihadavtec is an unknown quantity at this point
airbags didnt go off!!

my mom had a 25mph front end collision in her 01 prelude, and totally crunched her front end to the point where she couldnt drive it. but her airbags didnt go off on eihter side. her lude is only 2 months old, with 4k miles. were in ohio, and were wondering if she can do anthing about it (get $$ from honda, or even a lemon buyback so she doesnt have to have a bad title for resale) or any options we have.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
they arent designed to go off unless its a higher speed collision
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
hey, they are supposed to go off at 10mph, 25mph is really fast, she should have her insurance company contact honda and let them know of the incident! THATS PRETTY SERIOUS! HAVE HER INSURANCE TALK TO HONDA!
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

CrankinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i feel your pain . i was doing 40 and hit a snow bank and curb and took out my front clip, ac condensor, and my radiator, and my air bags didnt go off .. but there is not police report or anything so i doubuti could get any cash for it ..
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
when my old 99 civic when I was hit on the highway AT 90 MPH I slammed head first into a guard rail after being spun 360 and my airbags didn't go off...doubt you can do anything tough luck...Im glad mine didnt go off anyways..
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

sentinel is an unknown quantity at this point
if ya guys read you manual it tells you how they work... they measure deceleration.... 25MPH probably won't set it off and its not "really" fast. with the snow bank... you probably didn't hit it in such a way that the sensors would think "oh shiet we just dropped from 40-15 better blow those bags" and hitting the wall at 90... it has to be straight on... no motion from the sides... cause if you were doing sideways and they went off it could probably do more damage to you then they would good... like ya said, i'd be glad they didn't go off too. i personally don' like air bags... i mean... they're nice and all but when i totaled my other car they just seemed like more of a pain in the but... i didn't even hit the air bag... my belt caught me first and then all the bag did was burn my hand and cut up my arms and i bruised my wrist... but thats cause it was pinned between my leg and steering wheel
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think youd want the airbags to go off anyways as the force of the airbag is that of a right from Mike Tyson[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Besides i like how my nose looks
Old 02-24-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
What makes airbags pop?

INSTANT DECELERATION

You have to be going at least 50MPH for the sensors to react.

Sentinel is right.
Old 02-24-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point

<< were in ohio, and were wondering if she can do anthing about it (get $$ from honda, or even a lemon buyback so she doesnt have to have a bad title for resale) or any options we have.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] >>

INSURANCE...

If the accident wasn't her fault and she's got full coverage on the car, then insurance should pay for a new Prelude... but since a "new" Prelude would be hard to find, they could possibly give her the money for it.