General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What's YOUR definition of a TUNER?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
What's YOUR definition of a TUNER?

We have all these threads about rice this and rice that, but what makes a tuner? Is it springs and altezzas or is it something more? Are there a certain number of mods or specific types of mods or just knowledge/attitude? What would be your requirements for letting people into your tuner club?
Old 09-16-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
One who tunes.

That might apply to any part of the car. The person who buys a CAI and a header is not a tuner. The person who buys a CAI and a header, then buys an EMS system and -tunes- his car on a dyno and understands what he's doing is.

Same for suspension, buying springs doesn't make you a tuner. Understanding how different combinations of springs and shocks and sways can affect the car and how to implement them and doing so does.
Old 09-16-2005
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
forget clubs.....enjoy life...screw exclusivity
Old 09-16-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kadenx
forget clubs.....enjoy life...screw exclusivity
It has nothing to do with a club. I am not looking to start a club. I am asking for a definition and how you set criteria IF YOU were to start a club.
Old 09-16-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
tunner does not only apply to performance, i tink it alswo goes for people who can do audio/visual systems, body work, interior etc... as long as they have the knowlegde and the ability to do it righ t iconsider them tunners as well.
Old 09-16-2005

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by robbclark1
It has nothing to do with a club. I am not looking to start a club. I am asking for a definition and how you set criteria IF YOU were to start a club.
I know what the question is... My requirement would be "MUST HAVE CAR"
Old 09-16-2005

Originally Posted by Kadenx
I know what the question is... My requirement would be "MUST HAVE CAR"
so you are saying a tuner is anyone with a car? I think you are missing the point...
Old 09-16-2005

Originally Posted by robbclark1
so you are saying a tuner is anyone with a car? I think you are missing the point...
Ok here goes:
My definition
Someone who has a general enthusiasm about automobile performance and enjoys tweaking it to get every last bit of juice out of it

Urban dictionary's definition

1. A person who tunes ANY type of vehicle.
(Can be anything from a Honda s200 to a 1970 Dodge Charger) This breed of human lives, eats, and dreams cars. This person does performance mods BEFORE apperance mods, unlike the ricer.Ricer: Your're such a ricer!
Tuner: You wanna drag race to see who is the real ricer?
Ricer: Okay

Not only does the tuner leave the ricer in the dust, but at the finish line, he's doing doughnuts ad burnouts.

2. A car (usually Japanese) modified to be more aerodynamic and powerful as well as look cool. One great car for tuning is the Nissan Altima or the 240sx. The Altima is little known as a tuner, but is very fast and fun to start with. With some mods (like racing cams and a stronger clutch) it could be a nice car. I can spank lots of things in a non-tuned Altima.

3. a person who modifies cars both performance and cosmetic.Real situation I experienced.

friend: Haha, My Chevy'll smoke that tuner wanna be.

me: We'll see.

friend: Wanna race?

me: OK

me: Haha, I knew when I saw that you had an automatic tranny, that I could beat you reguardless of the power of your engine. also, your car weighs about 1,000 lbs more than mine, so you're gonna have a hard time eating me for lunch.

A slang term for a 4-banger piece of **** japanese car that has been made into a street racer.

Tuners, even tuned, are hunk of scrap metalMy Camaro beat the **** out of that tuner on the drag strip.

synonymous with Idiot. Nowadays most car places which call themselves Tuners (and not raceshops) are usually run by idiots who don't know anything about car performance and setup.

That's why nowadays the word "Tuner" is used instead of "Idiot" a lotThat guy is a tuner, dude

A car, usually imported, that has been modified to increase both appearance and performance.

Not the same as a ricer.The tuner drove by us with insane speed.