General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

sorry... another vs. question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry... another vs. question...

okay, my decision is between an 02 Civic EX Coupe 5spd., and an 02 Saturn SC2 5spd... now I know that most of you from the start will say the Civic (simply outa bias and the fact that the Saturn is owned by GM, a domestic corporation) I know it's a sure bet if I go with the Honda, but the Saturn is a lil quicker stock, has a sleeker body, same price and features as the Civic, plus GM has some amazing deals goin on now (either 0% financing or $2002 rebate, either is friggen good) but anyways, my real question comes to this... Would the Saturn's DOHC engine respond better to mods (i/h/e, etc) than the Civic's?? thanks[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
If its the bullet shaped one (like the one with the 3rd door) my friend had the 3 door one that sorta looked like a bullet with a beak at the end hard to describe but it drove like $hit...not quality wise but speed wise. He would put the petal to the metal and the engine would sound like it was gonna blow up and he was only doing like 30mph....plus if he had more than 4 ppl the 5th person had to struggle with cupholders in there buttcheeks....just me but Civic all the way
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic and a case of Hershey bars! LUCKY!
Old 01-26-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
Civic
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

Hey, im only 15 mins from Hershey doin 90 on the freeway
Old 01-26-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i saturn 4 door hit me in my rear bumper, i got 1000 dollar dammage, the saturn don't got a engine anymore[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

kori is an unknown quantity at this point
my brother has a saturn SC2...in '99 he was debating between a civic and an SC2. the SC2 was cheaper, and there were a few other reasons why, but he ended up getting the saturn. he's in the air force, and when he came home he'd let me drive his car around instead of my mom's accord. i always thought it was a nice car, for being in the under 15k bracket. but after i bought my civic, and he came home this thanksgiving and drove it, i think he wished he'd gotten the honda. now this IS after he had his for two years and is probably bored of it by now. i question its safety though, cause you know how on our civics, the bumper is like a plastic fiberglass type material? well on his car, the doors are like that too...the DOORS. but as far as saturn customer service goes, it's impeccable. he has only had problems with his car once to my knowledge, last year, driving back to his base in SC from NJ, i forget what went wrong, something with the engine that should not have gone wrong, but he called saturn and they sent someone out to fix his car. this was at night, so they put him up in a hotel room in baltimore for the night and had his car ready to go, fixed, washed, vacuumed, gas tank filled, etc. first thing in the morning. that's kinda cool if you ask me. as far as looks though- hello....the civic is a hell of a lot better looking. and driving a honda is a little cooler than driving a saturn...i personally don't like any domestic cars, period.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

yeah... don't worry... the Civic will prolly win out in the end.. it does every time i concider another car, haha, but we'll see.....

<< Civic and a case of Hershey bars! LUCKY! >>

I don't need to buy it... I can smell the F'in stuff from my house some days[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] (can you Neo??, by the way, thanks for stickin around!)
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Man, I tell you....Chocolate is the way to my heart! How is the smell? Is it funky or really sweet? I'm sure, either way it's better than Tacoma!!!!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

I'd say it's like the smell of semi-sweet chocolate, like the dark kind... It's actually pretty funny, around here it's kinda a belief that whenever you can smell it really strong, that means that it's probably gonna rain soon, haha, no lie! I'd say it holds true like 80% of the time too, that's usually the way it is in the summer anyways, I guess cause of all the humidity crap in the air carries the smell, as well as causes t'storms, who knows... (If you think im smokin the wacky weed, man, I dont blame ya!, but I swear I'm not BSing anything I just said) haha, now that everyone got a lesson in Chocolate Aroma 101[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] lata!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] lol that's crazy man, thanks for the edjumancation!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

ecliptiCz is an unknown quantity at this point
Saturn? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

If you plan to race a Saturn, don't waste your time. Either finish 'em off quick, or just tell them that you're too fast for them. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] Saturns are the WORST cars I've seen in a long time. Well, compared to the King of Crappy Cars, it's nothing. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

lol...I cant smell it less I drive up to Hershey takin 322....ya get the Peanut Butter smell passin the Reese's factory, then the Chocolate smell past the Hershey factory almost to 422/Palmyra

Trust me you'll love the Civic.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

H0TSH0T06 is an unknown quantity at this point
honda is the better bet in long term finance. i mean you have rebates and finance, but when the saturn breaks down you will see what
to you car
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but my question was never really answered.... Would the DOHC in a Saturn SC2 respond significantly better to mods than a 2k1? If you're totally against Saturns, then just in general, do DOHC's respond better than SOHC's? thanks
Old 02-04-2002
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
My GF's stepmom has a new SC2 and IV driven it, it sucks!!!! Get the civic.
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

SPS does make good quality parts for Saturns but there few in far between.

But hey, Huge Aftermarket -&gt; More crappy Parts , Small Aftermarket -&gt; More quality parts.
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

SiMan2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer your question they are probably about equal as far as mods go. Both Honda and Saturn have aftermarket parts you can buy from the dealership such as I/H/E and body mods. However if the 7th gen aftermarket ends up anything like the rest of the Civics, then the Civic will probably be cheaper and easier to mod in the future.

My girl has an SC1 and I must say that I think it could definately respond well to mods. It has very restrictive parts everywhere. The intake sucks, the exhaust is ok, but all in all it could definately use upgrades and could respond well to them. Maybe go to a Saturn web site and see what the y say about it.
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

screaminDOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
um..well the DOHC saturns are much quicker than the civic. they are comparable to the Si and DOHC neons. the civic is a much better quality car, and probobly a little more reliable.

Saturn customer service is good, aftermarket is good, nice powerful DOHC motor...

I dunno..the saturn will probobly respond better to mods, and will gereally be quicker mod for mod....

who konws though..go test drive one..if you can live with the lower quality and the fit and finish (not as good as honda) then you have an inexpensive sporty coupe, which, modded can be quite quick....

Just a thought...
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
no the new saturns arent a little quuicker my friend has one 02 and i smoked it bad and we both have 5 speeds
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point
My ex b/f lives in middletown
Old 02-04-2002
Registered!!

what's his name? just curious cause my g/f graduated from Middletown in '99.. she might know him