General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Michelin Tweel

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Michelin Tweel

Copied from the Michelin site:

DETROIT, M.I. (January 9, 2005) – Today at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) Michelin showcased a potential future for mobility, an integrated tire and wheel combination missing one ingredient that is vital for traditional tire performance...air. The company unveiled the first real-world fitments for its revolutionary "Tweel" – which operates entirely without air. View the photo gallery.

"Major revolutions in mobility may come along only once in a hundred years," said Terry Gettys, president of Michelin Americas Research and Development Center in Greenville, S.C. "But a new century has dawned and Tweel has proven its potential to transform mobility. Tweel enables us to reach levels of performance that quite simply aren't possible with today's conventional pneumatic technology."

Michelin's Tweel is in production and available as an enhancement for future iBOT™ mobility systems. Invented by Dean Kamen, the iBOT™ mobility device has the ability to climb stairs and navigate uneven terrain, offering mobility freedom impossible with traditional wheelchairs. Additionally, Segway LLC's Concept Centaur, a prototype that applies self-balancing technology to a four-wheel device, has also been equipped with Tweel to increase its performance potential.

Beyond these first real-world applications, Michelin has additional projects for Tweel on construction skidsteers and a variety of military vehicles. The most intriguing application may be Michelin's early prototype Tweel fitment for passenger cars. The mobility company released video of promising Tweel performance on an Audi A4.

"The Tweel automotive application, as demonstrated on the Audi, is definitely a concept, a stretch application with strong future potential," said Gettys. "Our concentration is to enter the market with lower-speed, lower-weight Tweel applications. What we learn from our early successes will be applied to Tweel fitments for passenger cars and beyond."

Benefits of Tweel™:
The heart of Tweel innovation is its deceptively simple looking hub and spoke design that replaces the need for air pressure while delivering performance previously only available from pneumatic tires. The flexible spokes are fused with a flexible wheel that deforms to absorb shock and rebound with unimaginable ease. Without the air needed by conventional tires, Tweel still delivers pneumatic-like performance in weight-carrying capacity, ride comfort, and the ability to "envelope" road hazards.

Michelin has also found that it can tune Tweel performances independently of each other, which is a significant change from conventional tires. This means that vertical stiffness (which primarily affects ride comfort) and lateral stiffness (which affects handling and cornering) can both be optimized, pushing the performance envelope in these applications and enabling new performances not possible for current inflated tires. The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment. Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by a factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling.

Future of Tweel™ Technology:
For Michelin, Tweel is a long-term vision that represents the next step in a long path of industry-changing innovations. Fifty years ago, Michelin invented the radial tire and there is no question that radial tire technology will continue as the standard for a long time to come. Michelin continues to advance the performance of the radial tire in areas such as rolling resistance, wear life and grip. In the short-term, the lessons learned from Tweel research are being applied to improve those conventional tire performances. In the future, Tweel may reinvent the way that vehicles move. Checking tire pressure, fixing flats, highway blow-outs and balancing between traction and comfort could all fade into memory.

Gallery photos from other sites:

Old 01-12-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I would think that these would be heavier than tires ...

I think they look kinda gay too
Old 01-12-2005
I love to suck t3h c0ck & am supr ghey

i8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nice
i'd still have a regular low profile... but on any regular car those would be good
Old 01-12-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I dunno about the weight part...but yeah they don't look very appealing at all. Just thought I'd share, I just read about these today, it's pretty interesting that someone is actually trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
Old 01-12-2005
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Thats Nifty
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
hehe I just saw this yesterday on howstuffworks.com
Old 01-12-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i didnt know there was a demand for wheels that work without air. they look like trash, but i could see how they could be beneficial in certain situations...so now that the cops can't shoot out my tires, i guess i'll have to try bigger crimes.
Old 01-12-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Skip you up for a heist? I want to rob the Krispy Kreme near my work....I dunno why really.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
It doesn't look I would be able to use my tire shine stuff with those tires either, so I'll pass.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

Automated1 is an unknown quantity at this point
if they are the right price ill buy them but if they cost a small fortune ill pass
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
why do so many people think that every car-related innovation/invention has to do with looks? the reason for "airless" tires is to get rid of the risk of blowouts. no blowouts means less accidents and less worry. of course theres a demand for it, why do you think there are puncture resistant tires on the market? whats the first thing you see cops shooting at when theres a getaway car? the tires. why? because you cant drive w/ a flat. if theres no air, theres no flats.

im personally very interested to know what the performace characteristics will be for these. w/o air and with reinforcing ridges like on the cat, im guessing the tire is stiffer, but im wondering how well it actually performs in handling tests as far as racing applications etc.
Old 01-12-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Pretty cool.

Tweel, yeah
Old 01-12-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
that is very cool technology going on there.

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 01-12-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
that would suck for winter. imagine the snow getting stuck in them and making the tires even heavier. this pic looks crazy.

Last edited by kornsined; 01-12-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
This is crazy. About 3 hours ago on my way to work, I was thinking, I wonder when or if they have come out with tires that dont use air. Than you wouldnt have to worry about flats. just wear them down to nothing and look like crap but still work. Thanks for this article, was useful. Crazy
Old 01-12-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kornsined
that would suck for winter. imagine the snaow getting stuck in them and making the tires even heavier. this pic looks crazy.

I'm sure they would have a closed version just for that reason, but for publicity reasons they have the open faced type to show how it works.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah thats a good idea there punking. They also are saying that they are able to tune the tires for individual applications which of course you cant do with regular tires. So I wonder if they would be able to make a racing tire gets traction better than all pneumatic tires since they can adjust how stiff the polyurethane is.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

jfan is an unknown quantity at this point
To those who are commenting on how it looks, I'm sure Michelin will eventually address the aesthetics once the design has been fully and properly developed.
Old 01-12-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
i think it's gonna be a hit
Old 01-12-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TeLLy
Skip you up for a heist? I want to rob the Krispy Kreme near my work....I dunno why really.
lets do it.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

Ravage is an unknown quantity at this point
They said its gonna take like 10-15 years before it comes out for cars. so im sure they are gonna do some major improving.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
those wheels and tires setup look just like my brother's toys!