General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

odometer tampering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
odometer tampering?

Well me and my dad just split on a 1991 toyota tercel 5spd with 153,000km on it. And for some reason (maybe im just paranoid) I have a feeling one of the owners might have rolled back the odometer. The guy I bought it from bought it from a wrecker so thats what got me thinking, Thar maybe this guy bought it real cheap kinda fixed it up and sold it to us, but I called the wreckers and they said it was a great little car it wasnt a wreck or anything and hadnt been in an accident just got some head work and a timing belt replaced. But im still curious if there is anyway to tell if the odometer was tampered with??? it runs great and is in good shape inside and out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's gonna be hard to tell unless the odo is computerized (lcd display). Newer cars store the actual miles in the central computer, even if the gauge cluster is tampered with.
Old 06-21-2004
Registered!!

rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
naw its not the lcd display just the one that rolls
Old 06-21-2004
Custom Titles are played out

RiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura about
if the little dials are screwed up.. possibly nick marks or something like that.