General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

second car for a beater!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
second car for a beater!

Me and my dad are thinking of splitting on a sceond car as a beater, I would drive in the winter and he would get it the rest of the year (since he has a **** load of km's on his leased jetta).
We were thinkin gof getting an older civic,accord,tercel,corolla,sentra or jetta. Now I know most of those cars I listed are great cars and will run forever, but do you guys have any advice for me? Like what years are good or bad for a certain model? or any other good used cars to consider that will run forever and not cost alot for repairs? Dont tell me to get an rx7 or anything cause I dont care if its fast or looks good, just something cheap and reliable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance
Old 06-07-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Cheep and Reliable ushually means japanese...

I konw the Older Toyota Pickups will run pratically for ever. for a sedan, just about any Toyota, or honda should do. I would stay away from the older VWs they tend to be overly complex (like with a Cable driven window regulator) and when parts break the can get Costly quickly.
Old 06-07-2004
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
i would say go for the tercel my cousin has one cheap gets hella good gas mileage and its a beater perfect car to use for travelin and u dont have to worry about anybody doin anything to it and if u just car on gettin a cheap relaible car them i would get tercell or civic but my cousin hasnt had any problems with his tercel so u should look into that
Old 06-07-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i thought the toyota corollas are real good and reliable cars. it has a lot of room to transport and it saves as much gas as the civic. any year would do but you just gotta make sure the overall condition is good. like no accidents, engine damage, on-time tune ups, was it well driven, etc.

try to stay away from the young owners of corollas. when i went to an acura dealer, the seller told me "if you dont buy what the kid wants, he or she will eventually abuse the car, meaning not taking good care of it because its not a car he or she likes". i thought that was absolutely true. so if you think about it, the kid with the corolla.. his/her parents bought the car for real cheap because thats all they can afford. then the kid goes out fcukin around with it like its a pos because its a cheap car n its not the car he/she really wanted in the first place. some might even just break down their car to get another from their parents.

goodluck finding a nice beater
Old 06-07-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
93-98 jetta ... there great cars
Old 06-07-2004
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Anything with an "H" or a "T" on it should run for just about forever. I'd go for a mid-90s Camry or something.
Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
Thanks alot guys, keep the suggestions coming! Yeah im looking for a honda or toyota mostly, with around 150k-175k (km's not miles)
Old 06-07-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by white2K2EX
Anything with an "H" or a "T" on it should run for just about forever. I'd go for a mid-90s Camry or something.
hyundai
harley
Hummer (AM General)
Triumph

im just playing
Old 06-07-2004
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

littlePman will become famous soon enoughlittlePman will become famous soon enough
Edit-nevermind my post sucked.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

Ok Im taking a few cars for test-drives this weekend a 91 camry,92 tercel, and 91 civic. All have pretty low km's considering the years and are pretty cheap too. Now what should I look for or listen for when Im checking these rides out? just dont wanna get screwed over.

thanx guys
Old 06-09-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
If you have to ask, take it to a mechanic for a thorough look. It's cheap insurance.
Old 06-09-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Find a used Accord... It might look bland but it'll last a while thats for sure...