General 1st - 5th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

What kind of Civic is mine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kuroyabumozu is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of Civic is mine?

New to this group, just picked up this new civic from a friend, and I'm also new to Civic too, I've done a couple of times research and found out that mine has a JDM ZC engine, but how do I identify if it has 1.6L or 1.5L?
the previous owner told me that this was imported from Japan for Americans so the steering wheel is still on the left side, and also said this is an MX model which I can't find any relevant information online but LX trim info from the VIN number, so idk.

Please help me to get to know more about this car as I tend to have this car to be my daily. 1995 Honda Civic MX or LX sedan

Old 10-14-2023
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What kind of Civic is mine?

This will be a single cam ZC which is a 1.6.

Not sure if the Honda production was in Alliston yet at that point, but it sounds to me like it's nothing more than a plain Jane LX with a slightly different engine in it (done later in its life - not from factory. Chassis code was never offered with this engine). Some were have been produced in Japan but it makes no sense for there to be what's essentially a JDM LHD Civic. The MX was never offered here and there wouldn't be some obscure version of that in such a pedestrian car (obviously referring to what's essentially a base civic minus some minor add-ons, not anything further such as the Type R).
Old 10-14-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FRSam
This will be a single cam ZC which is a 1.6.

Not sure if the Honda production was in Alliston yet at that point, but it sounds to me like it's nothing more than a plain Jane LX with a slightly different engine in it (done later in its life - not from factory. Chassis code was never offered with this engine). Some were have been produced in Japan but it makes no sense for there to be what's essentially a JDM LHD Civic. The MX was never offered here and there wouldn't be some obscure version of that in such a pedestrian car (obviously referring to what's essentially a base civic minus some minor add-ons, not anything further such as the Type R).
Thanks for explaining it to me, I'm less confused now, so i think it be better to look at it as an LX model with ZC engine in it, I am still kinda confused about what kinda ZC engine I have.

ref: https://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/SOHC_Cam.html

how do I know if it's a VTEC or non VTEC?
Mine has a VTEC solenoid on it if I'm not wrong, but VTEC lettering was not casted on the head?

​​​

Last edited by Kuroyabumozu; 10-14-2023 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like it may be a shift solenoid. Safe to assume you have an auto tranny?

Look behind the valve cover around here for a VTEC solenoid.

Old 10-14-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
That looks like it may be a shift solenoid. Safe to assume you have an auto tranny?

Look behind the valve cover around here for a VTEC solenoid.
Yes, I have an automatic tranny S24A-4096156.
Thank you for helping me out! One last question for my ZC engine, is it roughly equivalent to the D16A6?
ZC-2230934 JDM ZC 1.6L SOHC obd0 *Non-VTEC?

and I think you're right about the shift solenoid.
I don't think mine is a VTEC engine if I ref to the following link and the pictures.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-zc-motor.html

Last edited by Kuroyabumozu; 10-15-2023 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what is engine code?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ation-d17.html
Old 10-15-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Did you read the post from #1? It's the 2nd picture.
Old 10-15-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kuroyabumozu
Did you read the post from #1? It's the 2nd picture.
Forgive him, he's traveling around right now and may be a bit less attentive. Get your ish together Sandro. lol

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Yeah, dude has a JDM "ZC" engine in that EG8. The SOHC 1.6 ZC is apparently akin to the D16A6 from what I found. Not sure what the differences would be, if any, unfortunately, or how much it's compatible with D16Y7 or Y8 parts, since parts for the D16Y7/Y8 would likely be easier to find stateside
Old 10-15-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

woups, my bad...
Old 10-16-2023
Registered!!

Forgive him, he's traveling around right now and may be a bit less attentive. Get your ish together Sandro. lol

Yeah, dude has a JDM "ZC" engine in that EG8. The SOHC 1.6 ZC is apparently akin to the D16A6 from what I found. Not sure what the differences would be, if any, unfortunately, or how much it's compatible with D16Y7 or Y8 parts, since parts for the D16Y7/Y8 would likely be easier to find stateside
Got it, thanks a lot! You actually have untangled all my inquiries about the engine in my new whip lol
Old 10-21-2023
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure what the differences would be, if any, unfortunately, or how much it's compatible with D16Y7 or Y8 parts, since parts for the D16Y7/Y8 would likely be easier to find stateside
Iirc (this is no research, just off the top of my head), the D16A6 is more akin to the D15 engines since it is a 5th gen engine. Stronger internals so a previous owner was probably opting for forced induction at some point, and like probably 99% of the owners that swap, don't end up doing anything.

If OP has any interest in doing anything to it, d-series.org is absolutely the place to go for this engine. haven't been on it in a couple years but it was relatively active when I left.