General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Free engine replacement for 2006-2009 Honda Civics

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derek Redden is an unknown quantity at this point
Free engine replacement for 2006-2009 Honda Civics

This is in regards to the technical service bulletin 10-048. All is fine if you live in the USA. I’m in Canada and have the same issue but am getting the run around. I called the Honda dealership and the Honda customer service Canada. According to them there are no recalls in Canada with the engine coolant leak. I had the engine replaced and am trying to get reimbursed. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction in fighting this. I would really appreciate any help. I paid a lot of money for an engine replacement do to a manufacture defect. It doesn’t seem fair to me. You can reach me by PM.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-09-2019 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Personal email removed as per forum rules
Old 04-10-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Free engine replacement for 2006-2009 Honda Civics

I believe even in the states the time is up for that recall.
Old 04-10-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
I believe even in the states the time is up for that recall.
I believe 2019 is the last year you can get it done.
Old 04-10-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A warranty extension is not the same as a recall.
The issue was never covered by a recall.

USA got a warranty extension of 10 years from original in-service date for the specific issue described in the bulletin (VIN must be checked by the dealer for coverage).
Coverage for 10 years/unlimited mileage is pretty generous IMHO
The vast majority of the possible affected cars are now older than 10 years though.

I have no info for Canadian markets, sorry.
Old 04-11-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
A warranty extension is not the same as a recall.
The issue was never covered by a recall.

USA got a warranty extension of 10 years from original in-service date for the specific issue described in the bulletin (VIN must be checked by the dealer for coverage).
Coverage for 10 years/unlimited mileage is pretty generous IMHO
The vast majority of the possible affected cars are now older than 10 years though.

I have no info for Canadian markets, sorry.
the real issue is this manufacture defect is in Canada also yet Honda Canada chooses to ignore the fact.
Old 04-11-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derek Redden
the real issue is
Even if you and your car had been eligible for the warranty extension in the USA, it would have expired at 10 years.

Hondas responsibility for the car stopped when the warranty period was over. You own the car, therefore you are responsible for any problems the car has.
Old 04-11-2019

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

It is **** though, I do feel for you. Unfortunately that r18 engine was a lemon when it was first released.
Old 04-11-2019

Unfortunately that r18 engine was a lemon when it was first released.
Actual problem percentage might only be 1% or less, for all I know.
We see many of these "possibly affected cars" without failure showing 200k, 300k miles and more.
Old 04-12-2019

That is true, but they're common enough to have warranted major action from honda, so obviously by honda standards it's a lemon. 😁

It's not like we're talking Saturn, were all the products are junk. Lol
Old 04-12-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

It's not like we're talking GM, were all the products are junk. Lol
Fixed it for ya
Old 04-13-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derek Redden
This is in regards to the technical service bulletin 10-048. All is fine if you live in the USA. I’m in Canada and have the same issue but am getting the run around. I called the Honda dealership and the Honda customer service Canada. According to them there are no recalls in Canada with the engine coolant leak. I had the engine replaced and am trying to get reimbursed. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction in fighting this. I would really appreciate any help. I paid a lot of money for an engine replacement do to a manufacture defect. It doesn’t seem fair to me. You can reach me by PM.
Not sure where in Canada Your Located, but i would get in touch with Car help Canada located in Toronto,ont
they deal with dealer complaints & issues on vehicles etc keep us posted on the outcome.

.https://www.carhelpcanada.com/contact-us/

Old 05-14-2019
Registered!!

nssteve is an unknown quantity at this point

The forum members are correct, 10 years from date of purchase, unlimited mileage, but the car cannot have a "rebuilt or salvage" title. I live in Nova Scotia Canada and we actually received a bulletin from Honda Canada regarding the issue and was replaced by Honda as well.