Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Crack Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jovan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Crack Engine Questions

Hi first of all, i really like the honda civic coupe 2006-2011 but i can only afford ah 06-07, people don't sell them for cheap, but im very worried about the crack engine if i get an 06-07 they warranty would probably be over, is there any particular cars that had the crack engine issue? what i mean if i can check by the VIN number and see if its more susceptible of having ah crack engine? or is it all 2006-2008? thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crack Engine Questions

Reality: The number that actually fail is quite low IMO. I'd guess 1% or less. I certainly can't be kept busy fixing them.

No, you can't predict which ones will fail.

As far as warranty:
Warranty was extended to 8 years/unlimited mileage, and this must be confirmed by checking the VIN of the car first. If the car has a salvage title or has been blacklisted, you are SOL.

You'd have to take the VIN to your dealer and see if the car is covered by this.

Search this forum for more info, I have posted about this several times. Here's a couple tidbits:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...43-post28.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...99-post30.html

HTH
Old 12-18-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

NEWS FLASH

I heard today, the warranty coverage on the engine block has been extended to 10 years from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars.

Will try to update if/when I get official info.

Last edited by ezone; 12-18-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
NEWS FLASH

I heard today, the warranty coverage on the engine block has been extended to 10 years from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars.

Hi, thanks for the news but what do you mean "from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars." thanks in advance
then buying an 06-07 would be much better deal to me
2006-2012 use the same engine and transmission right? same mpg? thanks in advance
Old 12-19-2013

In service date means the date of original retail sale to the first owner. That's the day that warranty coverage on the car began.

Qualifying cars means the dealer has to check the VIN if the car in question to see if it is a covered item on the report, meaning determining if the warranty extension does or does not apply to that car according to Honda.

06-11 are called 8th gen, similar cars are mostly the same if they have the same engine and trans, body features are different for different trim levels. Hybrid, Si, and CNG are definitely not the same as the rest though.

EPA gas mileage rating differences among seemingly identical cars is due to a change in their driving methods for determining gas mileage (I forget now what year that happened, maybe around 07?). We saw that at the dealers when the EPA did that, the ratings changed but the cars themselves had not.
Old 12-19-2013

NEWS FLASH

Confirmed. 10 years.
Old 12-20-2013
Registered!!

Confirmed. 10 years.
Wow 10 years that is awesome!!!
Can you provide an official link or something?
Old 12-20-2013

Originally Posted by Jovan
Wow 10 years that is awesome!!!
Can you provide an official link or something?
No. I can't hotlink to the info I have.
Even if I provided a link to what I can see, you would not be able to see it.
Google it? IDK.

Normally, Honda sends out notification mailers to the last known owners of affected cars. (I have not yet heard if they will do this for this issue yet.)

This is a GREAT reason to make certain Honda (corporate) has your correct and current owner information.
You can call the toll-free customer assistance number and update your info there. Have your VIN handy. Inquire with them about your coverage, along with recalls that still need to be completed.
There should be postcards in the owners manual set for change of address and change of ownership too.
I think you can do most or all of this online too, go visit the Honda website.