Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

2006-2009 Warranty Extension for Engine blocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
2006-2009 Warranty Extension for Engine blocks

Well well well, just got a letter in the mail today from Honda. They are extending warranty covering the engine block to 8 years (unlimited mileage) for 2006 to early 2009 models. The problem is related to coolant seepage causing the engine to overheat... probably from bad gaskets. So, if you are having problems now relating to this issue, better go bug a dealership. if you already had your civic fixed out of your own pocket, better go bug honda for a reimbursement.

funny thing is, i just got my gasket replaced in my 7th gen. i guess ill have to expect the same for our 8th gen, sigh. maybe Honda is finally trying to cover their butts so they wont have to face negative press like Toyota?
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

lopez33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006-2009 Warranty Extension for Engine blocks

DANG THAT SUCKS,, I Purchased an 07 si sedan about six months ago because my family had a honda civic 95 that lasted us FOREVER, and It was reliable and dependable to the fullest.
Old 08-31-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dont worry, the engine problems are only on the R18 DX/LX/EX civic motors (not the SI K20)
Old 09-01-2010
Registered!!

118mph is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like I'm screwed then
Old 09-01-2010
bhc
Registered!!

bhc is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how to find out if my 07 Civic is one of the bad blocks BEFORE it cracks and leaves me stranded!
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

HondaDon is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 2006-2009 Warranty Extension for Engine blocks

My 2006 Civic engine just died at 130K. The block cracked and all of the oil drained out. It lasted 12 miles before death and not a single warning light came on. I am still fighting with Honda on how much of the new engine they will pay for. Luckily my other Civic is a 2009 and they had fixed the block.
Old 01-31-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HondaDon
My 2006 Civic engine just died at 130K. The block cracked and all of the oil drained out. It lasted 12 miles before death and not a single warning light came on. I am still fighting with Honda on how much of the new engine they will pay for. Luckily my other Civic is a 2009 and they had fixed the block.
Ummm, when the defective blocks crack, the coolant drains out and it overheats. I haven't seen any of the bad ones lose oil first.

If you had a connecting rod let go and it punched a hole in the block, that probably wasn't related to losing coolant.
Oil related problems are related to maintenance YOU are responsible for.
I'd expect it to be on YOUR dime if this is the case.

See what the warranty department says.
Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

devcivic87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I am seriously considering getting rid of my 06 and getting a 10 or later... I thought Hondas were supposed to be reliable!
Old 02-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devcivic87
Ok I am seriously considering getting rid of my 06 and getting a 10 or later... I thought Hondas were supposed to be reliable!
Does NOT apply to hybrids.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

devcivic87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Does NOT apply to hybrids.
Sheesh cool the engines, dude. Hostility much? sorrrry!
Old 02-05-2012

It applies to 06-08 and early 09 normal Civics, not hybrids or Si.

Look for Honda bulletin 10-048.

Better?
Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

Hondaboy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2008 honda civic just started leaking coolant recently. It only had 35000 original miles on it and I bought this car at 10 miles, original owner.

I showed it to two mechanics of mine determined that it could been the water pump. The week later my coolant was leaking, my car started overheating, real bad. Turns out I was all out of anitifreeze and coolant. AFter two days of topping of the car, I was due for an oil change. AFter topping of the coolant and water, while driving to the mechanic, the car started overheating.

I remember getting a letter from Honda dealer that I could have a seepage engine coolant caused from a crack. I took it to the dealer and showed em the paper, told my car was overheating and it could be the crack in the engine. They said they need to take a look at it. Two days later, I get a call saying they have ordered me a new engine. Now I'm waiting on a new engine.

However, I asked for a rental car and said that Honda doesn't cover rental cars. In addition, I have seen on other threads that owners said they got honda to pay for their rental cars while the engine was being replaced. I also asked my dealer for a loaner car, and he said they have two loaner cars and both are checked out. I do have my uncle's work van, and it's a p.o.s chevy lumina van with many problems. I think i'm entitled to a rental car or a loaner regardless because my car is in the shop because of this extended warranty recall.

Anyone please help. Am I still entitled to getting a loaner car or rental car because my car is in the shop? Or should I just directly contact honda of america and make sure I get me a car while my car is being fixed.
Old 11-01-2012

Originally Posted by Hondaboy25
I remember getting a letter from Honda dealer
That letter came from corporate, not your local dealer.

Am I still entitled to getting a loaner car or rental car because my car is in the shop? Or should I just directly contact honda of america and make sure I get me a car while my car is being fixed.
Is there ANY wording in your letter that leads you to think you are entitled to a free loaner/rental car?
Old 11-01-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no youre not. its up to the specific dealer. some of them are very nice, others are stingy but they have no obligation to give you anything other than a new engine.
Old 11-01-2012

Good customers might be extended the courtesy of a loaner car.

Not consumers.

Bottom line: It's between the dealer service manager and the DPSM as to whether or not a customer gets a loaner/rental paid for.
Your service history (or lack thereof) with the dealer has a lot (everything) to do with the decision.
Old 12-17-2013

Re: Crack Engine Questions

Reality: The number that actually fail is quite low IMO. I'd guess 1% or less. I certainly can't be kept busy fixing them.

No, you can't predict which ones will fail.

As far as warranty:
Warranty was extended to 8 years/unlimited mileage, and this must be confirmed by checking the VIN of the car first. If the car has a salvage title or has been blacklisted, you are SOL.

You'd have to take the VIN to your dealer and see if the car is covered by this.

Search this forum for more info, I have posted about this several times. Here's a couple tidbits:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...43-post28.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...99-post30.html

HTH
Old 12-18-2013

NEWS FLASH

I heard today, the warranty coverage on the engine block has been extended to 10 years from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars.

Will try to update if/when I get official info.
Old 12-19-2013

In service date means the date of original retail sale to the first owner. That's the day that warranty coverage on the car began.

Qualifying cars means the dealer has to check the VIN if the car in question to see if it is a covered item on the report, meaning determining if the warranty extension does or does not apply to that car according to Honda.

06-11 are called 8th gen, similar cars are mostly the same if they have the same engine and trans, body features are different for different trim levels. Hybrid, Si, and CNG are definitely not the same as the rest though.

EPA gas mileage rating differences among seemingly identical cars is due to a change in their driving methods for determining gas mileage (I forget now what year that happened, maybe around 07?). We saw that at the dealers when the EPA did that, the ratings changed but the cars themselves had not.
Old 12-19-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
NEWS FLASH

I heard today, the warranty coverage on the engine block has been extended to 10 years from the original in-service date, for qualifying cars.

Will try to update if/when I get official info.
Confirmed. 10 years.
Old 12-20-2013

Originally Posted by Jovan
Wow 10 years that is awesome!!!
Can you provide an official link or something?
No. I can't hotlink to the info I have.
Even if I provided a link to what I can see, you would not be able to see it.
Google it? IDK.

Normally, Honda sends out notification mailers to the last known owners of affected cars. (I have not yet heard if they will do this for this issue yet.)

This is a GREAT reason to make certain Honda (corporate) has your correct and current owner information.
You can call the toll-free customer assistance number and update your info there. Have your VIN handy. Inquire with them about your coverage, along with recalls that still need to be completed.
There should be postcards in the owners manual set for change of address and change of ownership too.
I think you can do most or all of this online too, go visit the Honda website.
Old 06-06-2016
Registered!!

SynthiaDaniels is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone had a problem that their engine block cracked after the warranty period ended? Warranty on mine ended 6 weeks ago and mine cracked and left me stranded. It has been at a Honda dealership for a week tomorrow. I have a third party warranty as well. They just confirmed today they will not be covering it as there was nothing internally in the engine that caused it. My husband has been waiting on a call back as to if HONDA will be taking care of this since they KNEW the engine was known to do this. If they do not I am looking at $4500 to fix what they knew would happen. I think they should stand by their product. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016

Originally Posted by SynthiaDaniels
My husband has been waiting on a call back as to if HONDA will be taking care of this
Waiting for a return call from your local dealership people, or from corporate-Honda customer service?
Have you contacted Honda customer service yet?
Old 06-06-2016
Registered!!

Honda America I believe is who it is. My husband is dealing with it. I am on another page and from what I am reading I thing we will be SOL as Honda did not stand behind anyone who this happened to outside of the time frame of Warranty (even as little as 20 days). I will flip out.
Old 06-06-2016

My husband is dealing with it.
I will flip out.
Wait and see what sort of decisions get made before you flip out. Besides, that won't help your case any.

Just curious: Are you the original owners of this car, or did you buy it used?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't work in your favor......
The 4500 figure sounds like a price to do the job using a brand new short block and all the associated pieces for the job as outlined in official documents.

I'd hope and expect a decent used engine could be found and installed for significantly less. Preferably an engine from a 2010-11, which would already have the improved block.
Old 06-06-2016
Registered!!

We are the original owners. They are not going to cover it as it is outside the warranty period. The case manager is going to look into a few things and see if they can offer a "Goodwill Assistance" and get back to me tomorrow. It will be a new engine block with a 3yr warranty my husband was told earlier today. All of the internal parts are good. New piston rings.

We shall see what tomorrow brings.
Old 06-06-2016

We are the original owners. They are not going to cover it as it is outside the warranty period. The case manager is going to look into a few things and see if they can offer a "Goodwill Assistance" and get back to me tomorrow.
A plus is that you are the original owner of the car.
Another factor they tend to consider is if you have been a good and regular customer of your dealership or not for repair services and maintenance.

I would hope they offer a deal to split the cost of the repairs with you by some percentage of the total repair price.

It will be a new engine block with a 3yr warranty my husband was told earlier today. All of the internal parts are good. New piston rings.
If they do it, it will be a new short block assembly which will contain all brand new: crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, rings, oil pump, oil pan, and water pump. Plus the rest of the stuff needed to do the job.
Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Boomerang28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HondaDon

Hello. What was the outcome of your situation?
Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Marshal is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if I can put a 2011 1.8 civic motor in a 2006 civic ?
Old 02-01-2018

Originally Posted by Marshal
Does anyone know if I can put a 2011 1.8 civic motor in a 2006 civic ?
Block and cylinder head, yes
Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Marshal is an unknown quantity at this point

What is different about about the rest ? Can get it to crank but no start ! Got a maf code !

Quick Reply: 2006-2009 Warranty Extension for Engine blocks