General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abbotguy is an unknown quantity at this point
fuel economy

This is my question and maybe its been asked before, but how does the fuel economy for a 2016 civic compare to that of 2015 Prius or Prius V. is the Prius that much better than the civic? I would be commuting from Abbotsford to Burnaby about 60Km of mixed driving and I was wondering how more it would cost to drive a civic; which is way more fun and not designed with an ugly stick like the 2016 or newer Prius are.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: fuel economy

https://fueleconomy.gov/

This is the USA site for fuel economy rating for US market cars. They don't calculate ratings the same way as the canuuckians do since our calculations don't take stops for polar bears into account.
Old 08-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should ask which car will cost more to maintain and repair a few years down the road. That could make fuel costs look like a drop in the bucket.
Old 08-23-2018
Registered!!

Have looked there, I thought asking here would get me real life Civic user and their input. so ezone which car costs more to maintain then?
Old 08-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what the car needs to have done to it.
I don't own either car and have never been near a prius, but go price the big battery for the hybrid system just for poops and giggles. It will fail sooner or later like any other rechargeable battery, and that's a huge expense.

My personal daily driver a 2012 Civic. Not a hybrid, just plain 1.8L gas engine
3 years ago I had to buy a 12v battery for it. An expected expense IMO.
The rest has just been warranty and maintenance stuff, but it's pretty low miles.
Old 08-23-2018
Registered!!

The battery is a huge expensive but how often to they fail? I know a higher mileage Prius is more likely to fail. But how often does that happen? Is a 2012 prius with 165km more likely to fail than a 2007 with the same km’s?

On your 2012 civic what is the mileage like? If you traveled 100km a day for commuting would need to fill up more than once a week? I current have a 2007 mazda and its gets 440 pre tank but once I move I would be commuting and will need to update my ride.
Old 08-23-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I own a 2018 Civic Sport Hatch (CVT). I drive pretty much 95% suburban city streets. I've I drive like a grandma, I average 32MPG (13.6KmPL). On the road trips I've taken (where I drove pretty mcuh 99% highway with varying road grades), I would average 38-42MPG (16-18KmPL). Most I got out of one tank was 380 miles (~610Km) and I filled up just after the fuel light came on. I could have easily gone another 30-60 miles (~50-100Km) before my car ran out of fuel. That tank also had 10% oil life remaining

On the first road trip I took, I did an experiment with 87 octane vs 91 octane. Monitoring the average fuel economy gauge with my cruise control set at 83MPH, the tank of 87 didn't really go above 35MPG while the tank of 91 pretty much stayed in excess of 36MPG

some insight for you from a 10th gen owner.This car is a blast to drive
Old 08-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if you have a 2015, then it's a 9th gen car. Moving thread to the correct section.

driving style have a yuuuuge impact in MPG, really.
my 2002
Name:  Qvq9jEf.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  50.6 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-23-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2018
Registered!!

cavell is an unknown quantity at this point

we had a 2012 prius. 52mpg around town. our 2015 civic gets 34mpg but a lot of trips are 10mile at 55mph. used to work 2mile from home and my caddy got 12mpg avg. ha