General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Honda Si...why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicDoc-18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Honda Si...why?

I was seriously considering a 2019 Honda Civic Si HFP sedan until I read that the vehicle did not have collision avoidance. Isn't that almost a standard part of all new automobiles. Shame on Honda.
Old 10-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Honda Si...why?

Whoop-de-do, I don't want any of that nonsense on any car personally
Old 10-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Whoop-de-do, I don't want any of that nonsense on any car personally
To each his own.
Old 10-11-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I thought it was standard but it is an Si so it’s already a more premium price so maybe to keep cost down. Or the demographic that they were targeting (me) would not care about that.
Old 10-11-2018
Registered!!

I would think, considering today's distracted drivers, any safety feature to save lives would be appreciated by most conscientious drivers. I guess I am wrong in my assumption.
Old 10-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

send a complaint to Honda, not us...
Old 10-12-2018
Registered!!

Not a complaint, just a comment. I thought the purpose of a forum was for people to express opinions and ask questions. I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities.
Old 10-12-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Sure I would appreciate having all the safety features and I’ll take whatever they give me but something like that is not a deal breaker to me. Honda’s have always been safe but that is not my first thought when purchasing a vehicle especially today when modern cars are so much safer then they used to be. I would be buying an Si for the (Sport Injection) that is added to make it more fun to drive.

I have driven a car with the lane watch feature and found it rather annoying. Especially at night when on back roads I drive more in the center because of deer and other critters. It kept beeping at me telling me I am over the yellow line. It also had adaptive cruise and wouldn’t work the one night because it thought I was too close to something. It was 1am with no one in sight but it wouldn’t work for some reason. Next time driving the car it worked fine.
Old 10-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GolNat
It also had adaptive cruise and wouldn’t work the one night because it thought I was too close to something. It was 1am with no one in sight but it wouldn’t work for some reason. Next time driving the car it worked fine.
probably a dead bug or something on one of the sensors, my buddys rav4 freaks out in the winter unless all of the sensors are cleared of snow and ice
Old 10-12-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

safety features

i had a guy in a lexus pull up in front of my house and start yelling at one of my wilder friends.
friend walked up to the lexus as the guy was laughing and rolling his window up.
friend got there and the window wasn't quite closed yet.
he yanked downwards on the glass and due to the safety feature that prevents kids from getting crushed, the window rolled itself back down and the driver caught a fist to the head.
i was impressed my ham fisted friend knew so much about safety features. i would never have thought of that.

what i'm getting at is:

i'm waiting until the shady part of society realizes they can throw something in front of a car, have it stop itself, and then carjack the driver. when i'm working in chicago i'd prefer to crash or run someone over.

i'm a little A.D.D. and slightly more O.C.D... sometimes when i'm bored i drive in peoples blind spots to make the yellow dot on the mirror blink on and off. my record is 27 blinks
Old 10-12-2018
Registered!!

Sure I would appreciate having all the safety features and I’ll take whatever they give me but something like that is not a deal breaker to me. Honda’s have always been safe but that is not my first thought when purchasing a vehicle especially today when modern cars are so much safer then they used to be. I would be buying an Si for the (Sport Injection) that is added to make it more fun to drive.

I have driven a car with the lane watch feature and found it rather annoying. Especially at night when on back roads I drive more in the center because of deer and other critters. It kept beeping at me telling me I am over the yellow line. It also had adaptive cruise and wouldn’t work the one night because it thought I was too close to something. It was 1am with no one in sight but it wouldn’t work for some reason. Next time driving the car it worked fine.
I concur./ It isn't a deal breaker for me either, just a nice thing to have. My wife's 17 Camry XSE has lane watch which can be turned off if too annoying. I am going to drive the 19 Forester Touring and the Toyota RAV4, but will also drive the 19 Civic Si. If I am not pleased with the SUV's, I will probably go for the Honda. Every vehicle has its negatives and positives, so I will get the one I am most happy with, regardless.
Old 10-12-2018
Prelude Owner

Those are great contenders!! Have you looked at what Mazda has to offer? If you like fun to drive Mazda is right up there with Honda.
Old 10-12-2018
Registered!!

Yes, I drove the CX5 and thought it drove well, particularly in the sport mode, but my wife disliked it because the rear vision was not good. I also like the fact the the Si is a manual shift. I have driven manual shift cars most of my life. Nothing like controlling your vehicle, not the inverse. Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-17-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Civic Si - Sport, so 80% of drivers will ride the rear bumper of other people. So system would be in the way and complaints amok made Honda remove it from plans. (joke!!!)

Corolla - Most drivers will ride 300 yards from car in the front, in the left lane, below posted limit and still rear end other people, so system is plenty justified.

LOL!
Old 10-17-2018
Registered!!

Whatever?
Old 10-18-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by CivicDoc-18
Whatever?
I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities about not having automated braking
Old 10-18-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Honda "Sensing", now standard on 2019 Civics.....
Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

I read where Honda plans to have Honda Sensing on all cars by 2022, but I cannot find anything concerning the Civic SI. I have emailed Honda site.
Old 10-19-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

It should be on the site. I looks to be all Civics...…………?

Tried to link, wont work correct.

Last edited by CraigW; 10-19-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2018
Registered!!

Just found this site. From what I glean from the article, it appears that all trims means that the Si will also have this feature: https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...-the-way.html/

I hope they are correct and I didn't misinterpret this. My wife and I drove her 2017 Camry to Texas, and the feature was wonderful while traveling 70-80 mph.

Last edited by CivicDoc-18; 10-20-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

The competitors to the 2018 civic si are the

Does not have collision avoidance
2018 Focus rs

Have collision avoidance
2018 VW Golf GTI
2018 WRX

So you can see that 2 of the 4 offer it and 2 do not. Honda does offer that feature on all models bellow the Si. It's called "CMBS" OR "collision mitigation braking system".

Honda and Ford probably dropped it because
-This car is meant for people who track and know how to drive
-when you are on a track you tail other cars at high speed and braking, so you would need to have a track mode that turns this feature off half the time anyway.
-given the first two point you might as well save money and weight by eliminating that feature.
Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

I seriously doubt that ALL people who purchase the vehicle do so only because they drive on a track. I am soon to be 80 years old, yet enjoy driving a manual shift and have power when I need it. I also like the feel of controlling the vehicle. When I go on long trip, I certainly enjoy all the safety features that are common on most cars. I think after 60+ years of driving, I 'know how to drive' just about any vehicle. I learned something in my 20 year military career; 'Don't assume anything'.
Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

Those are great contenders!! Have you looked at what Mazda has to offer? If you like fun to drive Mazda is right up there with Honda.
This just may have sealed the deal for me: https://www.docdroid.net/mjZMMPd/19-...ecs.pdf#page=2
Old 10-28-2018
Prelude Owner

Are they now offering a turbo version of the CX5!?! That is an impressive sheet with some very nice features and numbers.

We had a Mazda 3 briefly and really enjoyed it. This was before Honda released the current gen civics which I have not driven yet.
Old 10-30-2018
Registered!!

One vehicle eliminated. I had my wife drive the 2018 Si yesterday while I experienced the ride in the back. I thought that the engine seemed semi-fast as it appeared to be struggling with full throttle. I also found it lacking in many aspects that the other vehicles I hae been interested in (Forester, CX5, and RAV 4. I suppose if one is looking for a 'fun to drive' vehicle for short trips, this is a good buy, but the old adage' 'you get what you pay for'. My wife stated that the front seats were not that comfortable (she owns a 17 Camry XSE). Reluctantly, I shall eliminate this vehicle from my list, even with the salesman giving me a price of $22K on the black sedan.

Last edited by CivicDoc-18; 10-30-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2018
Registered!!

55mpg is an unknown quantity at this point

Collision avoidance is a great feature, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will prevent every collision. That being said, it's a nice feature to have, but not absolutely necessary. I wanted the feature for my 16 Civic too, but when I realized that it wasn't foolproof yet -- I was okay with or without it.

Each year this feature will become more advanced and more common. Until then, in my opinion, it's okay if a vehicle doesn't come with it yet, since it's an early version.
Old 11-07-2018
Registered!!

Talking Re: Honda Si...why?

Are they now offering a turbo version of the CX5!?! That is an impressive sheet with some very nice features and numbers.

We had a Mazda 3 briefly and really enjoyed it. This was before Honda released the current gen civics which I have not driven yet.
I am anxiously awaiting the Mazda 2.5T to arrive at the dealer. I most likely will purchase the top trim CX. Better looking vehicle and comfortable.
Old 12-01-2018
KAK
Registered!!

KAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CivicDoc-18
I was seriously considering a 2019 Honda Civic Si HFP sedan until I read that the vehicle did not have collision avoidance. Isn't that almost a standard part of all new automobiles. Shame on Honda.
I'm looking at a 2019 Honda Civic LX Sport for my son. From what I've read at several websites, you may wish you didn't have the front collision warning system. They say that even in it's least sensitive setting, it goes off to the point of "annoyance" and "frustration" are the words used.
As for you mentioning the Mazda CX-5, I'm considering it too, but may go for a Subaru Forester. Both are good choices. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by KAK
I'm looking at a 2019 Honda Civic LX Sport for my son. From what I've read at several websites, you may wish you didn't have the front collision warning system. They say that even in it's least sensitive setting, it goes off to the point of "annoyance" and "frustration" are the words used.
As for you mentioning the Mazda CX-5, I'm considering it too, but may go for a Subaru Forester. Both are good choices. Good luck.
I was reading myself about both before getting a CX-5.
I don't know how much is true, but the Forrester is said that some cars have a oil loss issue (very high loss).
That's why i went for the CX-5. (CRV is just way higher priced vs CX-5, so Honda was out too). I have two other Mazdas, so knew what to expect too )
Old 12-02-2018
KAK
Registered!!

KAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I was reading myself about both before getting a CX-5.
I don't know how much is true, but the Forrester is said that some cars have a oil loss issue (very high loss).
That's why i went for the CX-5. (CRV is just way higher priced vs CX-5, so Honda was out too). I have two other Mazdas, so knew what to expect too )
I'm not sure what I'll get for myself. I still like the CX-5, but it's almost too "pretty". Like it looks out of place on a dirt road. Up here in Utah, the Subaru's are all over. I really like the new Jeep Cherokee but for whatever reason, I think a Jeep will be unreliable.
I'm comparing the 2018 Mazda 3 Touring to the 2019 Honda Civic LX Sport for my son. You have two other Mazda's. What are they and what would you buy? Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Honda Si...why?