Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Oh well, I'll ask anyway! GTech HP question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cisco88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh well, I'll ask anyway! GTech HP question.

Alrite.

Please don't stick a flame up my *** for this. For Christmas my parents got me a Gtech Pro. Today I went out the highway and went to a weigh scale (In Alberta there are a few when you leave the city). 2476 lbs., only me in the car. Put it the Gtech and away I went. I hit 118 HP.

Ok, here is the question(as if you don't already know)....

Legit?

I calibraited it on a flat surface. The meter sits in the centre of the car on the windshield(Aligned it with the hazard light). Set it at 0.0. Pulled through the gears. I have a AEM CAI with a magnaflow cat-back. SI (EX in the US) with 5 speed tranny. The car is lowered with H&R Sports. The manual said is should be +/- 3HP. I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully it should be around the same. It is not that cold here, about -10 Cel. Yes, I am Canadian and -10 doesn't feel THAT cold. Some input would help. I know our cars only do 127HP, and who knows what to the wheels.

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Thank boys and girls!

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] side_lower_1.JPG (23 Kb)
Old 12-29-2002
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
that seems right bcuz of tranny HP lost..... but quote me on that
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Imo, I bet it is pretty darn close. I wouldn't think that it is like 10hp off or anything. You are probably making a few extra hp due to the cold temps as well. I don't know for sure of course, but it does seem pretty darn close to what one would expect.

Have you done any 0-60 (not sure what that is in km/h) or 1/4 mile times?
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

HTOWNBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard that if you use a gtech to measure hp on a front wheel drive car it wont be that acurate. i dont know if its true though. that what some people are saying.
Old 02-06-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: HTOWNBOY
i heard that if you use a gtech to measure hp on a front wheel drive car it wont be that acurate. i dont know if its true though. that what some people are saying.[hr]
If anybody is still going to be looking at this thread... I don't think that statement is correct. I heard the same thing though, but it makes no sense at all. Just about everything the G-Tech does is based on an internal accelerometer. I don't think it matters whether you "push" or "pull" on an accelerometer, it all works as long as there is a force on the G-Tech, and that force used with the force of gravity, most likely creates a resistance. This is how it knows distance as well and can compute work done which is then probably calculated into HP. Theoretically it makes sense.

EDIT: I think I know why that was said... "it delivers Rear Wheel Horsepower" as opposed to flywheel horsepower. I think they are throwing that around as a term to mean WHP.
Old 02-07-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Smokie2k2LX
[hr]Originally posted by: HTOWNBOY
i heard that if you use a gtech to measure hp on a front wheel drive car it wont be that acurate. i dont know if its true though. that what some people are saying.[hr]
If anybody is still going to be looking at this thread... I don't think that statement is correct. I heard the same thing though, but it makes no sense at all. Just about everything the G-Tech does is based on an internal accelerometer. I don't think it matters whether you "push" or "pull" on an accelerometer, it all works as long as there is a force on the G-Tech, and that force used with the force of gravity, most likely creates a resistance. This is how it knows distance as well and can compute work done which is then probably calculated into HP. Theoretically it makes sense.

EDIT: I think I know why that was said... "it delivers Rear Wheel Horsepower" as opposed to flywheel horsepower. I think they are throwing that around as a term to mean WHP.[hr]
Yep it should just be WHP. Gtech just measures the highest forces during the test run and then uses the weight you dialed in to calculate HP to the ground (wheels). It makes no difference which wheels are pulling as the meter doesn't know and doesn't care.