Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

JET ECU upgrade VS APEXi V-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002
JOO
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JOO is an unknown quantity at this point
JET ECU upgrade VS APEXi V-AFC

I am doing alot of research for people who want to chip their cars. I want to run 15's N/A like "kjgracing" did. He told me that unless you have a pro modifying the V-AFC going with the JET ECU is better. I definately see the difference the ECU has made for our cars with "kjgracing"'s quartermile time at the TRACKS. 17.1 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]stock, 15.9 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] with boltons and an amazing 15.7 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] with the ECU added. Damn, our cars will be quick for the money.

<font color=white style="background-color: 3E3E3E;">JET ECU Upgrade:</font ft>
Cost: $300 approx.
Installation: Mail in and get it next day in the mail and Plug back into your car / in other words, EASY AS HELL!
Performance: Maximizes fuel to air ratio to reach max power. Estimate 10-15 hp at wheels with all bolt-ons. But all depends on what you have. Raises your RPM Redline to 7900 and VTEC engagement is the same [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG].
Downside: Use 89 or higher octane gas, lowers you MPG by about 3. Non-adjustable. Illegal (but who cares).
Upside: Easy install, Get next day and drive.

<font color=white style="background-color: 3E3E3E;">APEXi V-AFC:</font ft>
Installation: Buy the part and have fun installing it and finding somewhere to mount it.
Performance: Max fuel to air ratio, lower V-TEC engagement but the same redline. Estimate HP at wheels depends on you playing with the V-AFC or getting it done professionally with DYNOJET.
Downside: You should get it tuned with a pro with DYNO, costs a few more bucks.
Upside: SHOW!! Looks hella tight, Silver with Blue screen and a bunch of modes so you can digitally see the fuel/air maps and throttle response, etc.

I know this isn't part of my question but I recently raced the new 2002 civic Si, I beat it by a hood, I had a better launch. With the Si running 16.1 stock and hopefully, my car running 15.7, Ill be damn happy while all the other Si's are pissing in their pants as they see zoom by them.

What have you guys found about about the V-AFC and the JET ECU upgrade. What are your inputs.

Old 12-19-2002
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I don'w own eiter one, I'd hate to make a useless post, all I can say is that I never heard tuned ECU's effecting peformance that much, or even at all. Most automobile companies tune the car to run most efficiently out of the warehouse. Aftermarket ECU's help performance a little but I don't know about dropping it .9 seconds thats just crazy, especially (NO OFFENSE) the fact that we drive non-turbo cars. Other input would be helpful as well guys, this is what I hear and what makes sense to me.

You're best bet from my knowledge is to get the Apexi S-AFC and get it professionally tuned.
Old 12-19-2002
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
does jet only work for EX model or do tey work for lx and lower too
Old 12-19-2002
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
technically it should work for almost all ECU's. You obviously lose the VTEC adjustment but the upgrade isn't just plug in. According to Jet, the modify your ECU accoring to your mods. So it should be car specific. Save yourself time and call them up, if they don't make it maybe they'll get the idea to consider it.
Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

badcivic2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vafc definatly

the jet is nice but not as adjustable...

look in honda tuning and you can see the power of just comp. upgrades. they picked up 20hp with just comp. changes and tuning.
Old 12-19-2002
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
you said that it was hella easy to instill the chip?? how easy, can you post a DIY or run throught the installation? thanks
Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

thaicivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

I don't know about Jet ECU chip but I doubt if its going to give you any increase it would have to be done by a pro to adjust the different settings and done on a dyno. As for Apexi V-AFC, I think its a bit too expensive and you'll definately need a pro to fine tune the fuel/air ratio, and its not going to give you more than 5 hp, probably at the flywheel. I've attached a "dyno" of what gains could be expected from different mods to your 7th gen civic. The one shown is from a Malaysian civic sedan done by a professional speedshop, 1.7 vtec sohc which should be the same as in the US. Seems the most gain for money is a K&N cone filter with heat shield. The particular speedshop does guarantee that you will get the gains shown, they even dare to dyno each mod on a dyno as they put it in one by one. The whole packaged cost around US$1000. Just a little something to share.

Have fun.
Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

Hi,

I'm not quite sure if I did the right move to attach the chart. It should work this time.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] Honda ES1.jpg (50 Kb)
Old 12-19-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone on these boards ever got the VAFC to work with the VTEC on a 7th gen Civic?
Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

In case the chart was not clear enough due to file size restriction. The whole package would give a dyno 22 bhp increase. It reads as follows so you don't need to e-mail me :

1. K&N injection kit (with heatshield ) 6.7 bhp
2. Hot Bits Exhaust Extractor 10.6 bhp ( K&N + Exhaust Extractor )
3. (1) + Hot Bits Exhaust system 13.9 bhp
4. (1) + (2) + Hot Bits Exhaust System 17.3 bhp
5. (4) + Apexi S-AFC 22 bhp ( 22 bhp - 17.3 bhp = 4.7 to 5 bhp gains from Apexi alone )

Old 12-19-2002
Premium Member

That Speedworks shop is in Thailand? I wonder what is the Hot Bits exhaust. Looks like that with the K&N makes pretty good.
Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

No, they are not in Thailand, they're in Malaysia. I was thinking of getting it installed and I did some searching around. From what I know Hot Bits is a joint venture between an Australian speedshop and its Malaysian partner.
Old 12-19-2002
Premium Member

Sounds good man. I have a buddy that goes to that area sometimes. Maybe he can buy me an exhaust and send it to me.
Old 12-20-2002
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
How I am in the 15.7's?
Well if you click on my ride you will see the bolt ons I have.
I changed the intake to the new K & N FIPK II and noticed better
pull at lower rpms than tha CAI I had installed before.

I take of my 17" rims, put back on the steell 15" rims with the firestones that came from the dealer.

Lower the tire pressure to about 26psi.

Do a dry burn out...(both wheels spin).

Launch at 2,800 rpms and shift at 7600 rpms.

Can cross the finish line still in 3rd gear at 88mph.

The JET ECU upgrade was $229.00 through JC Whitney online.
It took a constant .2 second off my 1/4 mile time.

I'll be racing at
Sacramento Raceway on
Jan 1, 2003

Hopefully I can get down to 15.5's with just bolt-ons!!!
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

synikal is an unknown quantity at this point
They say that the Jet ECU is illegal and all but the only thing that I really care about is passing smog cuz I live in california. So do you just put your old ecu back in or flip switch, cuz I would assume since the A/F mixture is different, it wouldn't pass?????? also is it five or two years for smog checks in california? I have heard both?
Old 12-20-2002
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
i got my V-afc working, all i need to do is dyno it. with this, the V-tec will hit like a DHOC.(hard) it shows your car what V-tec really feels like
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

Hwoody77 can only hope to improve
Actually the chart should look more like this...

JET ECU Upgrade:
Installation: Mail in and get it next day in the mail and Plug back into your car / in other words, EASY AS HELL!
Performance: Optimizes Air/Fuel Ratio, raises redline, changes VTEC engagement to a set point, advances timing. Horsepower gain depends on the mods you have. This should be one of the last steps you take when modding your car, because it is very specific to your vehicle and setup. If you plan on buying more parts then, then one day you'll have to spend the extra money to have it re-tuned.
Downside: Use 89 or higher octane gas, lowers you MPG by about 3. Non-adjustable. Illegal (but who cares). Non-adjustable.
Upside: This is for all you sleepers. People won't know unless you tell them that you have a chip and laugh at them after you beat them.

APEXi V-AFC:
Installation: Buy the part and have fun installing it and finding somewhere to mount it, or have a shop install it for you.
Performance: You can fully adjust Air/Fuel, and VTEC engagement. There are also a few other things you can mess with.
Downside: To get full potential you ahve to bring it to a dyno.
Upside: Looks very nice, and is fully adjustable, so you can get it at any point.

I have a V-AFC and it's one of the best mods I bought for my car. BTW, you can get easily get the V-AFC for about 300, look at nopionline.com, tornactive.com, rsversion.com, etc.
Old 12-20-2002
Registered!!

nongv is an unknown quantity at this point
why not get both? will there be any conflicts between the air fuel mixture if both was hook up together?
Old 12-20-2002
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: synikal
They say that the Jet ECU is illegal and all but the only thing that I really care about is passing smog cuz I live in california. So do you just put your old ecu back in or flip switch, cuz I would assume since the A/F mixture is different, it wouldn't pass?????? also is it five or two years for smog checks in california? I have heard both?[hr]
The JET ECU is your cars original ECU with a piggyback custom program chip
on the back of it.
When it comes back from jet it says that it is for off hiway use only.
It does pass smog but not visually. As you can see where our ECU is located, no mechanic will see it unless he takes it out. Honda hid it well behind the glovebox next to the airbag. Here is apic of mine installed before putting the glovebox back on.

If you want to swap it out, you are going to need a whole new ECU unit.
But like I said, it does pass emissions!!
Old 12-28-2002
JOO
Registered!!

JOO is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not sure, but I dont think you can get both,
The chip is a permanent air/fuel ratio modded depending on what you have in your car as of then you go it with rev limiter at 7600 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].
Apexi V-AFC is adjustable air/fuel ratio with adjustable vtec engagement but rev limiter at 7200 (stock).

I really like the V-AFC and the way it looks and its adjustability but the final verdict for me is the chip.
I think itll be less work and cost less for the same max gain, since you let JET know what mods you have. I guess that should be the last thing to do for peeps.
Old 12-28-2002
Premium Member

I have a Hypertech prigrammer for my Firebird Formula. It takes away the rev limiter, allows the auto trans to shift at redline, and tweaks a few other things. The main thing I wanted was to get rid of the speed limiter. It was a little embarrssing to have that LT1 cutting off at around 124 MPH. Now I can get the full 147 MPH top end.

So I think the Jet chip would be worth it just to get rid of the rev limiter. Anything else would be a bonus.
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

xblkcivicx is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: JOO
Im not sure, but I dont think you can get both,
The chip is a permanent air/fuel ratio modded depending on what you have in your car as of then you go it with rev limiter at 7600 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].
Apexi V-AFC is adjustable air/fuel ratio with adjustable vtec engagement but rev limiter at 7200 (stock).

I really like the V-AFC and the way it looks and its adjustability but the final verdict for me is the chip.
I think itll be less work and cost less for the same max gain, since you let JET know what mods you have. I guess that should be the last thing to do for peeps.[hr]
You can get both, think about it this way, your current ECU "chip" has permanent a/f ratio, fuel maps. The chip will change these to more fuel and advanced timing but still be permenant. The V-AFC will work just as if it was stock, you can raise/lower your fuel maping from where the chip is set. The advantage of the JET chip is the movement of the rev-limiter. If they could just take out your rev-limiter and leave everything else stock for a cheaper price that would be best. Then you can do all your a/f tuning and Vtec engagement points with the V-AFC. So yes they will work together but for 600 bux...not worth it. If jet could sell you the rev-limit eliminator for like...50 or a cheap price it would be the best setup (besides hondata/AEM EMS)

And think about this: Jet programs your ECU by the mods you have. How is this possible, there is so many different combinations of modifications, there is no way they dyno'd the 7th gen with every possible combination of mod's to get the perfect a/f mix. With the V-AFC you go to the dyno and tune it perfectly for the setup you have. I.E, only reliable advantage is the movement of the rev-limiter.
Just some food for thought...
Old 12-29-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
The jet chip raises your redline to 7900 rpms? Are you serious? That much speed can't be good for our SOHCs[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

xblkcivicx is an unknown quantity at this point
The bottom end can handle it, it's the top end you need to worry about when reving too high. Any higher you can count on losing your valves...