Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

intake vs exhaust, personal issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kpunlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
intake vs exhaust, personal issue

i bot a 00 civic a month ago, its a stick but it is amazingly slow. but it gets good gas mileage so im happy

i have 200 dollars avail, nd i was wonderin if i should put it up for an exhaust or a cold-air intake (both which i have no ideas about except increasing hp) and what they would do to my gas mileage/hp, and if u can the product name ($200)

it's lowered 1.5 inches if that matters...

i am a complete noob wen it comes to cars, so please be descriptive.

thanks for takin the time to read
Old 07-18-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

downsouth_em2 has a spectacular aura aboutdownsouth_em2 has a spectacular aura aboutdownsouth_em2 has a spectacular aura about
welcome...i'm pretty new too, well if it were me i'd get a cold air intake first. Just because i like the way cars sound with and aftermarket intake and a stock exhaust.Both won't make a huge difference but intake is the best way to go..expect about 5hp. Also with 200 it'll hard to find and exhaust, even used unless it's pretty banged up or if you just get a rear section or muffler. But look into an Intake... I think Injen is a pretty good brand, if you're looking for used check 7th gen's for sale forum, if new check with some of the wholesellers here, you might just get one for a steal.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Get an intake first, you'll appreciate it more and feel more gains then just the exhaust. Plus with 200 you get a nice intake as opposed to a cheap exhaust. Also, despite what ppl say you do get an improvement in gas mileage as long as your not pounding on the gas pedal. Hope this helps.

Look around also I was able to get the AEM v2 intake and megan cat back exhaust together for 350 on ebay.

Last edited by ronaldo9; 07-18-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

CLeeNx04CiVic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
^^ wrong downsouth_em2....5 hp maybe with i/h/e....you'll get 1-2 hp with an intake....IMO get a good header and keep the stock airbox IMO....but if u really want an intake go with the Injen CAI....happy modding!!!!

Last edited by CLeeNx04CiVic; 07-18-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

VicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Get an intake first, you'll appreciate it more and feel more gains then just the exhaust. Plus with 200 you get a nice intake as opposed to a cheap exhaust. Also, despite what ppl say you do get an improvement in gas mileage as long as your not pounding on the gas pedal. Hope this helps.

Look around also I was able to get the AEM v2 intake and megan cat back exhaust together for 350 on ebay.
I 2nd that. You will feel a little pwr from an intake and it is easy to put on and looks good in your engine bay. I like the sound too. I got an AEM V2 and I like it but it was more than $200. If I was on a real tight budget I might pick an AEM Short Ram. Around $150 new.

Be careful on Ebay. There are some good deals there but a lot of rip-offs too.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
HE says it's 00 Civic...not 7th gen civic...
Old 07-18-2006
Slow and Sexy

KwikSilver04 will become famous soon enoughKwikSilver04 will become famous soon enough
go intake first. and since your car is a 6th gen, bolt ons will be a little more noticeable. this site is aimed more at 2001-2005 but welcome nonetheless. as far as ebay goes, make sure you are getting a name brand intake, and not just a generic intake. you will appreciate the quality and longevity a little more.

also, you may find more help with your model civic on hondatech. give that a try bud. but like i said, welcome anyways.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough
I have the aem short ram its not bad got a good price on procarparts.com I dont think you get that big of a hp increase between short ram and cold air maybe 1-2 at most its basically for sound.
welcome
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
kpunlimited: Didn't realize you had a 6th gen, save your money and get yourself a b16 or b18c1 if you can find one. They're half the price of a k20 these days.
Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
What 00 civic u have? if u have an EX, save ur $$$ for a turbo, sc or swap.

Intake before exhaust, but neither will do much.
Old 07-21-2006
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
not much of horsepower gain will be expected....remember guys its a 4 banger, with the exception to the k20...just expect that an intake you can reuse (just clean it).....then it will pay for by itself....like around 10 reuse cleanings, compared to 10 replaced air filters....get my logic .......
so it would be a better investment on the intake than the exhaust.......if not, just save up for a turbo or a k20 swap or, get yourself a short shifter and just shift faster so you'll go faster
Old 07-21-2006
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
go with intake first. but dont expect to get 5 hp gain with just an intake itself. you'll be lucky if you can get 3 hp gain out of it. dont waste your money on getting a cold air. not worth the money. just get a short ram. i got a AEM short ram and i love it. sounds good. its cheap.
Old 07-21-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
save for a supercharger. anything else will be a few hp not even noticaable.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
JRSC will do very good gains throughout the powerband, a turbo is more towards top end. Go to the 197+ page JRSC thread, and read up if ur interested. Its in the Force Induction thread.
Old 07-25-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
hmm... in terms of mod friendly D16Y8 over D17A2. Since it does have more of a 'proper' VTEC on the intake, aftermarket intakes tend to work better on the D16 than D17.