Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

d16 manual transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicex9980 is an unknown quantity at this point
d16 manual transmission???

Ok, I've done a ton of searching and still don't really know if you can put a d16 Manual trans on our d17 blocks. The transmissions on our 01-02 civics suck and at 95,000 miles with the original clutch I think Mine is starting to get worn out. I heard of people having to get a new trans at like 50,000 miles. So I have a d16 manual trans in my garage along with a d16y7 motor, ecu, and wiring harness, and I was thinkin that I could put that in when my trans went out. Of course I would have to get an older style shift linkage and all but I'm pretty sure it's doable. The only reason I really believe that it'll work is because I remember seeing in a members signature that he had a d16y8 trans. anyone know who it was. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
it might, but I think the D16 is different... the 2 sticks (sorry, lack of a better word) that controls reverse and the forward gears are on the bottom while the D17 has them on the top... I dont know if that would be a problem.
Old 12-23-2005
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
someone put a d15 on his d17 tranny. So i'm assuming that a d16 tranny will fit a d17.
Old 12-23-2005
Registered!!

cool, I might have to get a new clutch, flywheel, and some shift linkage parts and do a d16 tranny swap. Can you get lsd for d16 trans??
Old 12-24-2005
Registered!!

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a d16 trans being put on a d17.
Old 12-24-2005
Registered!!

kezay is an unknown quantity at this point
The D16 tranny would fit perfect on our D17 blocks, (I bolted a D15b block to my D17 tranny) however a custon shifter linkage would have to be made because our linkage is mounted different from the 6th gen's.
Old 12-24-2005
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
i was going to do it when my tranny bit the dust but its a pain. I wouldnt reccomend it. A lot more hassle for what you're getting in my opinion. Find a good d17 tranny and just replace the clutch and flywheel and drive normal and it'll be fine.
Old 12-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
so you need a new clutch and you want to replace the whole transmission?
WHY?
Just because people are whining about breaking them (how do you know they're not slamming them around) doesn't mean yours is doomed. This is some serious paranoia overkill. Put a new clutch in, call it a day. If the transmission goes, it goes, then look into it. But run it til it goes.
Old 12-28-2005
Registered!!

I would love to keep my transmission forever but I think it's already starting to go. For a while it was making a pop noise everytime I let out the clutch and when I let off the gas, But now it's stopped the popping noise and is starting to make a whining (I can hear it especially when i'm at a drive thru or something) and I know it's the transmission because as soon as I push in the clutch it goes away. Also, it's started to get were it grinds third and is a pain to get it into reverse. From what I have read and heard these are some of the common symptoms. I am wanting to put in the d16 trans only because I happen to have one sitting in my garage that works perfectly. If it's not worth it then I need to save money and buy a salvage one out of an 03-05 since they say their better. I need a new clutch anyways and I thought I would do it all at the same time and save myself the trouble of pulling the trans out twice.
Old 12-28-2005
Registered!!

If I knew that the d16 tranny's shift linkage from 6th gen civics would work in my car, I wouldn't even hesitate. But for me to put the d16 tranny in I would have to get the shifter housing and the shifter rods from a 6th gen civic. Our d17 trannys shift with cables and the d16 trannys had two rods (I think), but yea they don't use the same shifting mechanism. Someone at sometime had written in there signature that they had a d16 trans in their civic and I don't remember who it was. anybody know??? So I can ask them how they made the shifter work.
Old 12-28-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know, it sounds like a mountain from a mole hill. At 95K, if you gotta do some synchro work, I don't think its the worst thing in the world, but if you got a spare one lying around, then what the heck. If you have them both out, and this is a thought, I have no backing....... what about a guts swap?
Put the shafts in the D17 case. Depends if the linkage connects in the same spot. I just think redoing the linkage is gonna be a PITA, but who knows.
Old 12-28-2005
Registered!!

I think it's doable and i'm up for the challenge. I'm just tryin to do my research at the moment, but from what I have heard (just a theory) the d16 tranny is stronger than the d17 considering that the d17 have been known to fail. Could probably even get lsd for it.

If you have them both out, and this is a thought, I have no backing....... what about a guts swap?
Put the shafts in the D17 case. Depends if the linkage connects in the same spot. I just think redoing the linkage is gonna be a PITA, but who knows.
As far as where the linkage connects our d17 have cables on top of the trans and the d16 has rods that connect on the bottom/rear section so I doubt the internals will just swap between the two.

or maybe someone has a k20a3 motor and trans on the cheap that I could just go K series, But I don't have that kind of money.
Old 12-28-2005
Registered!!

I don't want to take the transmissions apart though.
Old 12-28-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turboengnr
And i know the input shaft bearing in my current tranny is bad because it makes the same sound as a throwout bearing, except that it goes away when you push in the clutch (which is the exact opposite of the throwout bearing). Also, it makes the noise while in gear and accellerating, and you can hear the audible frequency of it change with RPM.
I just found this quote while I was searching. This is exactly what my car is doing. So I do have to swap transmissions soon. Damnit, not cool.