Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Removing the cat.?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TurboDreamZ is an unknown quantity at this point
umm.. our cars are meant for K20 swaps to downshift upon and eat stock GT's and most Beamers.. not economy.. ppl come here to talk about MODIFICATION of thier 7th gens.. otherwise most ppl wouldnt bother to post.. u want point A to point B car??? get a hyundai or a peice of crap scooter... lets all post REALISTICLY and talk about how much fuel my civic saved today..YEA LETS LETS!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2004
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by xproductionz
i know our cars are economy cars.. but hey.. we got people out there that want to up the ante a little and yet get turned down... i mean.. if someone wants to do womething to there car and it only adds 2hp....let them do it.. but lets say they do 5 things to the car that yields 2 hp a piece.. the that ups the ante at least 10 hp... this is just an example so i dont wanna be flamed for it... but i just gotta say lighten up a little... isnt that we are all here for.,.. to help each other out and not shut everyone down
Well said.
Old 09-08-2004
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
most places i know stick in a smog sniffer in the tail pipe, not plug anything into the obd2 port.. for those of you who have an o2 sim, you will fail the smog tests, unless you got a high flow cat

but i cant speak for everyone, since i dont have a cat
Old 09-08-2004
Banned

J-spec-SiR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
when i swapped my b16 into me 6th gen i had no cat and 3 inch piping on it for about a week and i saved up and bought a highflow cat 150 fu*kin bucks and it felt like i lost 15 whp it was a significant loss in power... .. it was too loud though wayyy too loud im about to take the cat off again i miss that big power rush at vtec
Old 09-08-2004
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
^so you actually felt a big difference going catless? and it was louder with the high flow cat? i always that it be louder with no cat.
Old 09-08-2004
Banned

yes catless was a total diff when hittin vtec when i didnt have a cat vtec would slam me back in my racing seats.. b ut now its just a lil boost with the cat on it .... no it was totally louder without it im sayin that the highflow cat was a waste of my money ... just kept me from gettin tickets
Old 09-08-2004
Registered!!

yeah that's why i don't wanna take out the cat. my exhaust is loud enough already.
Old 09-08-2004
Banned

they say mine sounds like a crotch rocket from fAR AWAY AND IF I PASS U IT SOUNDS LIKE A F16 TAKING OFF if i ever get a video of it ill post a sound clip
Old 09-08-2004
Registered!!

yeah definitely it would be interesting to hear. at least you felt some sort of gain for all that noise your getting.
Old 09-09-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Gained alot more power with DC Race header for me.
No Cat.

Highflow cat tends to make exhaust sound really loud.
My exhaust sounds like stock.
Running Dc Race header, rsx type s midpipe, stock muffler.
I would probably guess because of restricted stock type s midpipe, car isn't loud as aftermarket catbacks. even without Cat convertor.
Old 09-09-2004
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
then again.. the power you felt came from a DOHC motor

there was some gain, but most of it was in my head...
Old 09-10-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Our cars handle great and are built exceptionally well in comparison to competitors even they are underpowered. And definitely look the best. I didn't like the si shape before, but its grown on me, and with an oem body kit it looks bitching.
Old 09-12-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

JX6 has a spectacular aura aboutJX6 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ctx66
im pretty sure youll lose torque if you remove the cat.. so i wouldnt do it. it wouldnt cause any harm to the engine though

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about.
I got my megan hi flow resonator put on friday.
I've raced an manual 2003 tiburon (4cyl) and I beat it by a car last night.
My car feels much faster.I feel like a got atleast 5hp.
Better response and i can feel the vtec kick in.
No smoke ...but it's a bit louder.

I have an automatic btw.

I say get one.

Please listen to jttegx, he knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by JX6; 09-12-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2004
mhr
Registered!!

mhr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 7gencivicboi
quick question,

right now I have a DC Header, OBX Hi-flow cat, and DC Sport TCS. with this on I wont pass emission right??? so if I replace it with random or stock cat, I will pass emission??? let me know

How much louder did that hi-flow cat make your exhaust. I just have that catback on now and don't want to make it too much louder.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by xproductionz
i was wondering.... if the o2 simulator is in thhere which turns off the CEL... then does that mean it would be able to pass emission check... cause all they do is plug into the ODB2 connector which reads the 02 sensor... but if u have the simulator then it should be fine.. wouldnt it??
Alot of false info on this thread. There are plenty of members who have passed, including myself, with no cat and a 02 sim.

Even the guy at the smog place told me that our civics without cats have less emissions than mustangs with cats, ULEV helps alot! As long as your ecu isnt throwing any codes youll be fine.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of the people on this site have hi-flow cats and test pipes with stock mufflers, what the point of it all if the exhaust ends up coming out of a 1" hole?
Old 09-14-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

Originally Posted by DIZZLE
Alot of false info on this thread. There are plenty of members who have passed, including myself, with no cat and a 02 sim.

Even the guy at the smog place told me that our civics without cats have less emissions than mustangs with cats, ULEV helps alot! As long as your ecu isnt throwing any codes youll be fine.

So you won't pass if you have a CEL?
Old 09-15-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally Posted by JX6
So you won't pass if you have a CEL?
Yea, Will not pass if you have CEL.

At Emissions, All they do is plug obd2 scan tool to see if there's any problem.
Nothing will come up as long as you dont have CEL on.
And They will probably do visual testing for cat convertor...
Old 09-16-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JX6
I'm pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about.
I got my megan hi flow resonator put on friday.
I've raced an manual 2003 tiburon (4cyl) and I beat it by a car last night.
My car feels much faster.I feel like a got atleast 5hp.
Better response and i can feel the vtec kick in.
No smoke ...but it's a bit louder.

I have an automatic btw.

I say get one.

Please listen to jttegx, he knows what he's talking about.
yea, ok. whatever you wanna think buddy. not even gonna argue with you since your obviously a damn moron.
Old 09-16-2004
Registered!!

Arcan3 is an unknown quantity at this point
1) unleaded fuel fumes are higly toxic unless catalyzed...
2) back presure is both a good and bad thing... ppl are still figthing about that... only thing thats clear is that both too little and too much hurt the engine... (too little and the eng will start detonating..)
3) u can hit the cat with a hammer untill you break it on the inside (the insides not the cat) and ull get a bit more flow... but since the cat is bigger than the pipe it will create free flow until the middle of the cat and a bottle neck at the end of it.. since the cristals inside will be broken there wont be anything to stop the flow.. or better yet get a racing cat hehe
Old 09-16-2004
Registered!!

civic2nr819 is an unknown quantity at this point
I eliminated the cats on a 5 liter mustang and it was a noticible loss in the low end. If you try it and don't like the results you could always change it back.
Old 09-21-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

Originally Posted by ctx66
yea, ok. whatever you wanna think buddy. not even gonna argue with you since your obviously a damn moron.
Wanna race fool?
I haven't lost any torque because civs don't have any in the first place.
If you don't have the hi-flow cat yourself you don't know WTF you are talking about.Don't hate on me because your car is slower than mine.

Last edited by JX6; 09-21-2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
get a clue. im not "hating" on anything, im being realistic. take the high flow cat off, dyno the car, put it back on, dyno again. tell me about the amazing results you get. and also im not dumb enough to buy a civic thinking its a fast car, or can be made fast. if i wanted a fast car i wouldve got the 92 3kgt vr4 i was looking at, but i chose reliability and mpg over power. so yea, my car is slow. slower than yours? i bet im a better driver than you so id still be able to beat you even with your killer high flow cat
Old 09-23-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

You have a manual?
If you do I wouldn't expect to win LOL....even
though I have beaten manual 7th gens (DX and 3 EX's)
I am well aware of the fact that I have a 4cyl
and not a V6 or V8.
It has gotten a bit faster.I doesn't matter how much, but
"I" can feel it.....that's whats important.I know my car well and how slow it is.
Old 09-23-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Looney_01Civic
You guys are a bunch of idiots!!! If you take your cat off you are going to lose your bottom end power!! We are talking about a 1.7l 4 cyl. here!! They need back pressure!!! And to top it all off, removing the cat isnt going to give you any horsepower at all!!! You will lose HP!!! If you want to drive a fast car, then your first step is to sell your all show no go Honda!!!!!
so what if i'm turbo charged? that wouldn't apply right? coz I still have a kick on the tires on 3rd gear... hmmmm I got the high flow cat right now and i'm thinkin about the straight through piping... I think I'm gonna get it done by next week I'll tell you guys the result...
Old 09-23-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

Originally Posted by pnoyster2k1cvic
so what if i'm turbo charged? that wouldn't apply right? coz I still have a kick on the tires on 3rd gear... hmmmm I got the high flow cat right now and i'm thinkin about the straight through piping... I think I'm gonna get it done by next week I'll tell you guys the result...
Go for it!
Keep us posted.

BTW:
I got a catback with 2.25" piping put on my car with the megan hi-flow resonator (it's not a cat) and my car went in limp mode. I reset the ECU and my car is fine.It's a bit quicker.....
Old 03-29-2007
Registered!!

jcpham is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Removing the cat.?

i have the megan header and test pipe replacing the cat. cel light is on. if i reset the ecu, the light goes away for 30-50 miles but comes back on eventually - while the light is OFF, the car idles crazy as hell. when the light is ON, everything is fine.

i'm not complaining, just commenting. i've read about how the bungs are not properly heat treated and how you'll burn up your sensors. i've haven't decided on an exhaust yet, but for now i'm content with the cel just being ON.

2k1 5spd ex w/ 90k miles
Old 03-29-2007
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Removing the cat.?

uhhh check the dates ... some people get mad when you bring up threads from 3 years ago....