Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

which intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004
AZZ BANNED-IT! SUUN!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asvyper is an unknown quantity at this point
Question which intake...

i was looking at the aem v2 short ram intake for my 03 ex coupe...they say it gives more hp then a regular cold air intake...is this true? any other types/brands i should look at before i buy?
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
no it is not. If you're not paranoid about hydrolock, look into cold air intakes. I'm sure you could find AEM CAIs for less than the new V2s. I have the K&N CAI and I'm pleased with it. Injen is good too. Do some searching and you'll find plently of information. IBTL
Old 01-05-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Truthfully most intakes give little more than noise. IN fact, you risk losing a little torque. I have an Injen though, and it sounds mean. And hell, there can't be anything wrong with the engine breathing better. Just don't expect any monster gains. You want a quicker launch, save your money for a turbo or K20 swap.
Old 01-05-2004
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
dear lord people can't we search?

And no the aem v2 gives less hp and tq than the regular aem cai or injen cai.
Old 01-05-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I sense bias answers coming along....
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have tried 3 different kinds of intakes that are available for our cars...Injen short ram, AEM Cold air and The K&N FIPK II...I didn't really feel any gains with the injen or AEM, but I noticed a difference with the K&N..I highly suggest this intake if your in the market for one. And try to search next time you need a ? answered
Old 01-05-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I had an AEM CAI gains were o.k.,
but the K & N FIPK II brought me to the high 15's low 16's in the 1/4 mile.
Better low end torque, and since it is made out of a thick plastic, the
piping does not get hot like AEMs does.
Old 01-05-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
what I am saying is not bias there is proof of the regular cai performing better than the v2, and also aem put out false gains for the v2. Best would probably be the K&N fipkII.
Old 01-05-2004
Premium Member

bfitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Master, No offense meant here. I think we all agree that an intake by itself doesn't do much of anything. On a post you provided a link to another thread that had specs for several different intakes. It's nice to see them side by side like that, by the way. In that post it said that the V2 had only .1 less HP then the regular AEM CAI. Does that .1 HP make that big of a deal to you that you feel the need to quest against the V2? Is there more hype to the V2 then it's worth? Yes. Is the V2 overpriced for what it is? Yes. Have any dyno's been done for 7th gens? I don't know. Anyway, my point is ease off a bit. There's nothing wrong with posting figures and whatnot to prove a point, but let those of us who have already bought one be happy with what we've got.

-Fitz
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

hondaciv01 is an unknown quantity at this point
what i think is that the aem v2 cai is not worth the extra money, cause i believe that it is an extra $100, but i'm not positive so don't hold me to it. it's true though, intakes to pretty much nothing, except they make the car sound good, and gives you something on the mod list. one dude actually thought the sound from my car was nitrous when it was just my aem cai.
Old 01-05-2004
Banned by Admin

I totally understand but when they say that a product produces a certain amount of hp and have fake dyno runs for it. Then when it is actually dyno'ed it runs about 10 hp less than advertised just makes me a little skeptical.
Old 01-05-2004
Premium Member

bfitz is an unknown quantity at this point
That's cool. I agree with you that it's not what all it's cracked up to be. I was one of the guinea pigs for it on this site but I was quite pleased with it's performance. I did go into it with the same attitude that I have when I see a movie, expect the worse and emerge pleasantly surprised. :-)

-Fitz
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
k&n fipk II. I've heard nothing but good things about this intake. But, it'll run ya about 200+. I believe theres a group buy from dezod thats going on for it right now. 208+ shipping, i think. Check it out in the GB forum.
Old 01-05-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
Aem are Great .The day i got mine put i could tell .Also they make some kool sounds.
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

evanl85 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had an AEM SRI, sounds awesome, some kick in the high rpms, but it did take away low end torque. I have the FIPK2 now, I like it much more, more low end. The only bad thing is, it isn't as loud, and it's expensive, but dezod is having a pretty good group buy on it now, check it out.
Old 01-05-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
K&N FIPK II is the best. There's no loss of low end torque. Plastic tube doesn't get hot. Comes with a heat shield to keep hot air out.
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
They are all basically the same.....

I think aem and Injen Sound loudest if thats what your looking for.

Ironfist seems to think his intake is best! more power to him...he's givin K&N more business
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ironfist is right about the gains being noticeable...I wouldn't have thought there would be a big difference between the K&N and the other two intakes that i have had, but there is...Sorry to all you guys that like AEM and Injen, but facts are facts
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

^What he said.
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

threatcon13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by evanl85
I had an AEM SRI, sounds awesome, some kick in the high rpms, but it did take away low end torque. I have the FIPK2 now, I like it much more, more low end. The only bad thing is, it isn't as loud, and it's expensive, but dezod is having a pretty good group buy on it now, check it out.
A short ram intake will actually give you better low end via better throttle response. I have used an injen cai on my gsr before, and it was nice....can't really notice a difference in performance via the butt dyno. But a while ago I was in California, when all of a sudden some of the streets started flooding. Luckily I just have a stock type R intake now, or else I would have hydrolocked for sure. I never thought I would be in that kind of situation, so it really makes me think twice about getting a CAI now, unless it was something like comptech's icebox or mugen's intake, or even the aem w/ bypass.
Old 01-06-2004
AZZ BANNED-IT! SUUN!

so overall...do you think k&n is the best way to go?
Old 01-06-2004
AZZ BANNED-IT! SUUN!

i want it to sound good but also for better performance...
Old 01-07-2004
Registered!!

I still have my aem one and will be selling that, make me an offer if you're interested. I'll probably be selling my FIPK also, I put my stock airbox back on today...my dealership is blaming a starting problem on the intake, which isn't related at all. PM me if you're interested in either.
Old 01-07-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Well everyone knows I think K&N is the best But it's the only one I've ever had.

Other people have had Injen or AEM and then switched to K&N, and they say the K&N was better, so i guess they agree with me.

K&N FIPK II sounds the same as stock until 4k rpm, and then it gets louder.

And of course there's not loss of low end torque
Old 01-07-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by asvyper
so overall...do you think k&n is the best way to go?
yes the K & N FIPK II gives a deeper growl sound.
It is proven to be the best intake on the 7th gens