Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

just muffler vs cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malice29r is an unknown quantity at this point
just muffler vs cat-back?

Hey,

I'm a newb to car stuff, so sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm sure enough get posted here as it is...

I was just wondering why it's better to go with a full cat-back system rather than just replacing the muffler? don't they both basically accomplish the same thing?

I'm asking because i'm interested in doing something with the back end of the exhaust for both looks and sound.. and the cat backs are quite expensive (for the decent ones anyways) I also don't care about HP gains... for the amount you can put into an exhaust system it's just not worth the ridiculously low HP you get out of it... (IMO anyways)

So based on what i'm looking for, do you think popping a SS performance muffler in there will get the job done (at least til I can afford puttin money into the car..)?

Thanks for any opinions

btw, everything else is still stock, including the intake... i'm interested in putting a K&N FIPK 2 in there eventually - should I try putting that on there first to try to get the sound I want out of it instead of going straight for the exhaust?
Old 11-17-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
if you don't care about performance, not that you will get much from either, then just get a muffler. Make sure it is done right and doesn't sound like a swarm of bees or pops often. I suggest an N1 styled muffler, a 5 zigen muffler, or a some kind of canister style. Don't get a big *** 6" muffler. keep it nice and simple.
Old 11-17-2003
JDM - fanatic

edoprasetyo is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't care about the performance don't put the K&N FIPKII as well
what for??
just the muffler will make your car sound better without gain any power.
I suggest the 5 zigen or apexi N1
Old 11-17-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
but remember when it comes to parts you get what you pay for
Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by edoprasetyo
If you don't care about the performance don't put the K&N FIPKII as well
what for??
just the muffler will make your car sound better without gain any power.
I suggest the 5 zigen or apexi N1
I thought a short ram such as the FIPK would give a bit better gas mileage under 'normal' driving conditions, as well as giving better throttle response.. Plus the whole sound thing..
Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

thanks for the responses..

actually a guy I work with put some cheapass APC muffler on (haha.. i know you guys don't like APC ) and I think it sounds pretty good for what it costs.. would something like an APC / generic rust out sooner than normal or something?
Old 11-17-2003
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
-one of those guys witha cheap *** APC muffler =)
had mine on 2 different cars in the last 3 years still workin fine no rust still shines up pretty good. Like stated above "you get what you pay for" and I paid like $60. I have that and I removed the air box from the stock intake and took the extended arm piece of and connected it right onto the filter box. I call it a stock short ram. It sucks really hard when you hit the throttle and it sounds pretty good. I have gotten compliments about it . Anyways bash APC all you want but I'm satisfied with paying $60 instead of $560 for almost the same thing.
Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

big_daddy_b_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what you mean about that apc stuff, but for some reason i do like that muffler they have that has the flames on it, and not the stupid light up one, i'm talkin about the actual muffler. i've got a thing for flames that's why.
Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
get an N1. theyre awsome looking even though im getting a gt spec.
Old 11-17-2003

Novaz3 is an unknown quantity at this point
you answered your own question, if you dont care about performance then why not just add a Tin Can on the back of your ride. If there is one thing i learned about buying parts for a car is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" trying to save tons of money by buying cheap *** parts or taking short cuts usually will leave you with a car sounding like ****.
Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

big_daddy_b_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
also i forgot to mention it, but i'm gonna get an axel back exhaust fromwww.mufflertech.com,because it's a good price for a bolt on rear section. to me the rear section would be better cause if somethin goes wrong with the car you can always take it off and put the factory one back on so the dealer doesn't give you any ****.
Old 11-17-2003
Registered!!

JuicyCricket is an unknown quantity at this point
hey "XSRCivic", how did u hook up your own stock intake thing?
Old 11-18-2003
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
usually if you get just a muffler on your stock piping they don't change the sound much at all. If you want something to have somekind of sound get an axle-back. Look at the hks high power or check out mufflertech.com.
Old 11-18-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Master
usually if you get just a muffler on your stock piping they don't change the sound much at all. If you want something to have somekind of sound get an axle-back. Look at the hks high power or check out mufflertech.com.
?? dont change the sound at all?? mine did, alot. It's not super loud, which is good, but you could tell i have an exhaust. and the good thing is, no one really knows you dont have the whole system. i didnt care about hp gains either, so i spent $55 on a muffler on ebay. they have mufflers on ebay now for $14.99.

i say get the muffler. the system costs way too much (if your not interested in hp gains). and if you get an intake, like i just did, it'll be even louder...
Old 11-18-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Dude if you don't care about performance just weld a tip on there. It's like $10-15.
Old 11-18-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Or just go get a cheap *** exhaust on eBay.

Here is one for $0.01 (plus $25 s/h). But this one looks shitty so don't get it.

Here is a better looking one for $15 + $15 s/h. This is a popular style.

Here's one that's a little bit more. If it's actually that gunmetal color then that's bad *** and you should get this one.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that the inlet on the exhaust will fit your stock piping. I forgot how big our stock piping is, though.

Or, if you take your new exhaust to a muffler shop to get it welded on, for probably a little more he might give you custom cat back piping. Don't go above 2.25" diameter piping if you're not going to get a turbo.
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

berettagtz117 is an unknown quantity at this point
You get what you pay for!
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by IronFist

The only thing you have to make sure of is that the inlet on the exhaust will fit your stock piping. I forgot how big our stock piping is, though.

What if the inlet is bigger than stock? Do they just use some kind of fitting to make it work?

Is there any chance that it won't properly fit under the car? ('02 EX coupe btw) The box of the one i'm probably gonna end up getting has a pic of a 7th gen with the muffler on, so you'd think it would fit... unless they just suck that bad to put a pic of it on a car that it won't fit properly on..

Last edited by malice29r; 11-18-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
if it says universal, it will fit..

seach for universal exhaust
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

ELaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
That $15 muffler looks totally home-made. lol. Love the "exposed rivets" look - like someone took some sheet metal and riveted it on to two coffee-tin ends.
Old 11-18-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Muffler needs to be welded. Any muffler shop will do it for cheap. and you will need hanger too for universal muffler.
Old 11-18-2003
Premium Member

I think this one would be cool if it was actually this color:

Notice how it's not quite round, but has flat edges.

Also, what is up with this one:

Is that how expensive ones look, too? It looks like a hollow tube with excess metal around it. See what I mean?
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
I say go with the HKS Hiper axle back. Just because. The angled exhaust is sexy. I may replace the stock resonator with a glass pack or just straight pipe to bring out a bit more sound though. It is very subtle.
Old 11-18-2003
Premium Member

^ I agree, angled exhausts look cool, as long as it's not TOO much of an angle.

Anyway, if you're just getting an exhaust to make noise, then you should probably get the cheapest one you can find. $500 is a lot to pay for something just to make noise.