Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

HP Header installed (pics) EX DIY updated AGAIN with performance review

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Ironfist, do you think the heat shield will fit over the aftermartet header? It's supposed to keep heat in the pipes and out of the engine bay for better performance.

Also, I've heard that you need to replace a gasket or something when installing the header. Not sure, though.
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't think of any aftermarket header where the heatshield will fit over it. Mine and Ironfist headers are about the same size.
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

hypnotic7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
the heat shield did not fit when i changed my header cause the bottom bolt has no place to go and the shield will then rattle because it is only secured with two bolts
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by IronFist
Maybe. I've avoided getting an exhaust because they're really expensive in relation to the amount of gains you get. Plus, I don't want one with a tip bigger than 3", which is hard to find. And finally, they're noisy and attract cops.

But if I found a cheap, quiet, lightweight, small-tipped, gain producing exhaust I'd totally buy it
Good luck finding a tip under 3''. Just get a muffler that you like off of ebay or something and go to a muffler shop and get 2 1/4'' piping. A whole lot cheaper than a cat-back and just as good anyways. The only thing is if you want to eventually get a downpipe-style hi flow cat then you are going to have to get your piping redone. But if you get a cat-back it just bolts right on the the stock cat. Since mine is welded to the cat and I have to get it redone since I want to get the megan racing hi flow cat. It's really deep in low rpm but what I noticed is when I am engaged in VTEC I get a buzzing noise. I don't think that you get that if you have a non VTEC because I have heard them rev and it just gets deeper and deeper in later RPMs.
Old 11-27-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
The heatshield won't fit with an aftermarket header. As hypnotic7thgen said, there's no lower bolt to hold it on. I have a heatshield on my FIPK II anyway so I'm not that worried about it.

As for the gasket, my stock one was fine. I had about 17,000 miles on my car when I installed the HP header. Just be gentle taking the stock header off and you should be able to reuse it.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

xgodxicex is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by streetglower
I have always heard that if you just get a top portion header, that it wont actually give you any power, that the only way to get power out of the header is getting the top portion and downpipe, is this true?
i dont think this is true, only because, as far as i know, our downpipes are 3" anyway, i could be wrong, but i believe i read that up here .... the thing thats causing the bottleneck is the cat .... so thoretically, get the top portion header, and get a high flow cat (if your state will allow it to pass emissions)

edit: i just realized the date of the last post, lol im a lil behind
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

Bogus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I read the downpipes for our cars are 2.66 inches or something close to that.

I was wondering if a megan racing downpipe off ebay would fit the hp top portion? I think the opening on the downpipe where the header and downpipe connect is like 2.5". Anyone on the site have that setup?
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

rowdy847 is an unknown quantity at this point
anybody know where to get a downpipe that fits the dc sports header, and by the way i would not say it sucks in fact i saw definite power gains when i installed it, even with the rest of my exhaust being stock
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

HEBEGEBZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Ironfist, I have a question. Can you remove the stock header without removing bolt #5 (ref to your 1st post)? My a$$ double threaded it I think.
Old 02-08-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by HEBEGEBZ
Ironfist, I have a question. Can you remove the stock header without removing bolt #5 (ref to your 1st post)? My a$$ double threaded it I think.
If I remember correctly, all bolt 5 does is hold the heatshield on. But, I think you might have to remove it to get access to the other bolts you need. 5 is the hardest to get off. If you absolutely can't get it, and you aren't concerned with destroying your heatshield, you can possibly undo the top bolts and then bend the heatshield back to get access to the bolts under it.

Sorry I don't remember more accurately. It was 3 months ago that I did the mod.
Old 02-08-2004
Registered!!

HEBEGEBZ is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks
Old 05-09-2004
Finally a Z Owner

Robert_K is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about the Kamikaze Header: Does it replace the cat on the EX manual?
Old 05-10-2004
Premium Member

No offence but why would you bump a thread about the HP header to ask that question?
Old 05-10-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
hey ironfist....u got me all excited about the hp header......i have an lx and in about a week im gonna do my ex convertion exhaust

i have HP header/ stock ex downpipe/ ex cat back exhaust (installed) sitting in my room....just itching to install them.

i should be able to have a better gain....since im moving from lx to ex
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

civicfreak84 is an unknown quantity at this point
HEY WHERE ON EBAY CAN YOU FIND THIS HEADER I CAN'T FIND IT?
Old 05-10-2004
Premium Member

^ Can you find your capslock key, tho?

If you search for "hp header" and nothing comes up, then no one is selling it right now.
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

thanks for the smartass answer, and thanks for the real answer
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
the hp shorty header wont make a sound difference in your exhaust what so ever, unless you get a downpipe
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

What is retail for this nice baby?
Old 05-11-2004
Premium Member

I have no idea. Probably $250 or something. You might find it for like $150-180 somewhere tho. Usually on eBay they're $125-150.
Old 05-11-2004
Registered!!

awesome thanks a lot.

any update on how it is running?
Old 05-12-2004
Premium Member

It still seems to be fine. No leaks as of last time I checked.

I just need to clean my K&N FIPK II filter. I've had it on for like 20,000 miles and haven't cleaned it yet. heh.

You could always wait until I get a new car and sell my parts. But I have no idea when that will be.
Old 10-21-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
If I install a KN intake wouild I ever have to worry about water getting to it, or is that something that could never happen(in the location it is placed)?
Old 10-21-2004
Supertastic Member.

Dishwasher is an unknown quantity at this point
the K&N Intake is a SRI with a heat shield, so the answer is no, there's no way you could submerge it unless you went into like 4 feet of water.
Old 10-21-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
you resurrected a 5 month old thread about a header to ask a question about an intake.. HMMMMM
Old 11-09-2004
Premium Member

Bump cuz some people have been asking about headers.
Old 11-29-2004
ADS
Registered!!

ADS is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok guys, thanks for all the good info i have been looking for a header for my civic 2003 civic stick, non vtech and i m from canada does anyone know if a company makes a header for my car if so who and where can i get one....and what model my car is i feel so dumb to ask this but i need some help
Old 11-29-2004
Premium Member

^ Wrong thread. Do you have a DX, LX, EX, or Si? It will say on the back of your car.
Old 11-30-2004
Registered!!

Profoxcg is an unknown quantity at this point
" Wrong thread. Do you have a DX, LX, EX, or Si? It will say on the back of your car."

lol sorry that was funny
Old 11-30-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IronFist
Bump cuz some people have been asking about headers.
Are you still getting better fuel economy than stock? If so could it because your running leaner now because of your air intake?
Did you ever get a chance to measure to the fuel-air ratio before and after your mods?

BTW very nice headers.

Quick Reply: HP Header installed (pics) EX DIY updated AGAIN with performance review