Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Quick question for all of you tuners out there

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uberw00tage is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick question for all of you tuners out there

My 2004 2dr EX has recently developed an exhaust issue. No big deal I knew it was coming and have some cash set aside, but before I went and purchased these products I was curious if they were worth my time of if there were any other options within my price range.

Here is the list

Megan Racing Exhaust Systems - Drift Spec (2.25" Inlet / 2.5" Pipe / 3.5" Tip)

Megan Racing Resonator/Test Pipe (2.25 Inlet) High Flow Cat

Megan Racing Headers - 4-1 (Stainless Steel)

last but not least

Spyder Auto Cold Air Intakes - Red Spyder Auto
CP-500R

Total cost is less then 700, I plan on installing everything my self and right now the car is bone stock except for rims and audio upgrades

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated thanks tuners!
Old 01-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quick question for all of you tuners out there

I don't recommend a test pipe. It's a halfass way of doing things and generally will lead to trouble if you have to do any kind of a smog test. Either reuse your stock Cat or replace it if that's where your trouble lies. Or you can take the chance and get a high flow cat and hope it passes smog. Either way, that is going to be LOUD. Too Loud... Instead of a cold air intake go with a short ram which is much safer for your engine and has the same power increase on D17s. I feel like I'm ripping you apart here but why get an exhaust that has a 3.5" tip??? Id go with something a tad more toned down like an RsR mag catback if you can still find them since theyve been discontinued.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

No worries man on being worried about ripping me apart that's why I posted here, because I have never done anything like this to this car although I do love it I wanted to garner a few others opinions on what I was considering putting in my car. I was also curious if anyone has any experience with megan racing? I did read a few other posts about the company on this site but I could not really develop anything conclusive from what I read.

As far as it being a 3.5 inch tip i was honestly just looking at it price wise I found that exhaust cat back for like 370 i think I wanted to keep everything under 700 and with what I had posted there I was under by just a hair.

I certainly don't need the best of the best but I also do not want something that will give me nothing but problems either. Reliable with better performance and certainly a different sound.

I am open to suggestions for brands of anything im certainly not hung up on megan they just seemed to be middle of the roadish for me decent price decent rep decent product.

Any other thoughts anyone?
Old 01-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

RsR EX Mag I think it's called is the best hands down.
Megan Manifold is okay
Stock cat is best.
Old 01-29-2012
Registered!!

anyone else have any info they would feel like contributing?

also blue while I do like the exhaust sound of that exhaust the only place I can find it has it listed for 600 and change eating up almost all of my budget....

any other thoughts?
Old 01-29-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I'm all for the RS*R, but yeah, hard to find. The Apexi World Sport 2 is a nice exhaust, for a reasonable price. Were do you live? Do you have smog checks? I'm not a tree hugger or anything, but going catless is just bad karma. I don't know of any low cost hi-flow cats that will fit your $700 budget, but the one or two ponies gained with test pipe doesn't justify the damage to the environment. That's just me. A test pipe is a test pipe, you can go cheap here in my opinion. IIRC, any header with more than 1 3/8" primaries, will not evacuate the exhaust pulses any faster or efficiently. I'd find a used DC header or just cheap out here too. Save the bang for the cat back.

As for the intake. Any eBay tube will do. I like the K&N FIPK and Iceman, because they aren't conductors of heat like the metal ones. If you do get a cheapo metal, they heat up just the same as the expensive metal tubes. You can powder/ceramic coat, heat wrap, shield, etc, to lessen the effects somewhat. Some worry about CAI hydrolock. Something to keep in mind. Get a bypass, if you live in a wet climate or get an SRI. Not a common occurance, but anything is possible. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Here is a picture of an intake that I bought in pieces and assembled for around 70 bucks:

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and this forum. This stuff can be had for cheap: Oh yea it was gray when I bought i ... 8 dollars in paint fixed that up.

Name:  SAM_7244.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  123.7 KB
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

I live in northeastern Vermont for the most part it's pretty lax up here but I honestly didn't know the difference between a test pipe and high flow cat now that I have educated myself that's not really an option im interisted in I am no tree hugger either but that just sounds unresponsible. As for the intake that is a nice looking unit you put togather blue! I'll go check prices on that apxei world sport thanks guys I'll keep you posted

Also anyone else wants to chime in I'm game and still listening!
Old 01-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

^ I'm glad your taking in what were saying Most people just go ahead and do what they want anyway.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Gearhead 1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey blue, please share what you did to get the ram air intake for 70 bucks. I also noticed that you have the weapon R type filter!~~~~ SWEET!~ Please share again how you put your intake together for $70.
Old 01-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

It went kind of like this.

I bought the tube off a member on here for around 40 bucks
I bought the filter off another member for 20 bucks
I spent about 5 dollars on a can of paint
I had to buy the rubber couplings to connect it to my throttle body, about 20 bucks on ebay.

Thats it, intake complete.. Then I went to the auto parts store and bought K&N Oil for it for around 11 dollars. I don't count this towards the purchase of the intake because it essentially keeps me from replacing the stock filter all the time

Oops I guess it adds up to 77!
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

rbeats is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a Megan header for my 2001 LX sedan. Over paid for it. Just jump on Megan web site and order online. I built my own intake. 9 dollar chunk of 2.5 inch exhaust. 18 buck filter. Thapage .nk you grand west automotive. 10bucks for fittings. Bang! Im done 9+10=19+18=37. Not bad. Pics are in my profile