Part and Product Reviews This forum is for part and product reviews only!

different radio dash kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
different radio dash kits

just wanted to post a quick review of some dash kits i tried out.

first up is metra, i think this one looks the best because it has a large size pocket and smooth/shiny black plastic. it has an expensive look to it, even tho the color does not match the civic console factory finish. my main problem with this piece was the radio would "sag" and cause the thin plastic separator between the radio and pocket to bend down over time. thats the only reason i would not recommend this anymore. it is also the most expensive kit.

next is the cheaper scosche kit which also has a pocket, but it is much smaller than metra. it also has dividers in the back to hold two cds *in place* without having them move around. they stick out slightly, but you do not have to worry about them sliding around. and you have some room left for other odds and ends. also, you can put one cd on top and leave the bottom empty, or fill both slots. the plastic is cheaper looking and dull (not shiny black), but it matches the civic dash better. so far there are no signs of sagging and this is the current model im using. it also fits the outer cut of the console perfectly. the stereo will usually stick out a bit more using this kit compared to the metra (but not further than the oem fan dials).

there is another kit that is basically a trim piece allowing you to keep the factory lower pocket. while this is a nice feature, it is very obvious that the piece does not match anything on the dash. it has a *cut-and-paste* look that i didnt feel was good. also very expensive for just a small piece of plastic.

Last edited by gearbox; 06-27-2010 at 06:06 PM.