Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

I need an affordable quailty turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaysuper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking I need an affordable quailty turbo kit

Hi guys I'm looking for a turbo kit for my 92 HB I have a single cam zc with a d16y8 head does anyone have a suggestion on what turbo kit I should get. I'm just looking for something for a everyday driver reliability is more important than hp and I want to keep it under 1200 dollars. And I know I can swap for about that same amount of money but I want a turbo thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

StardustLily is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I need an affordable quailty turbo kit

Are you sure you want to go turbo then? No matter what size of turbo and what level of boost you add, you always absolutely murder reliability and gas mileage. Also, a good turbo will cost 500-600 which leaves you almost no room for all the other essential parts or the labour required. So I dunno if turbo is a good road for you given your budget. I have however seen turbos for like, 250-300 but I REALLY question their reliability...x.x
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

Mitchell_2kSiR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StardustLily
Are you sure you want to go turbo then? No matter what size of turbo and what level of boost you add, you always absolutely murder reliability and gas mileage. Also, a good turbo will cost 500-600 which leaves you almost no room for all the other essential parts or the labour required. So I dunno if turbo is a good road for you given your budget. I have however seen turbos for like, 250-300 but I REALLY question their reliability...x.x
my fuel mileage is the same most times better than when i was N/A. . its all about the tune. . . if i'm in boost all the time yeah i'll get about 30-40km's less on my tank
Old 03-02-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by StardustLily
some people have actually seen gas mileage increases with turbos... so I wouldnt go as far to say you're going to destroy your mileage.

For 1200 bucks you wont find a complete kit, new and worth buying. At least double it. If you're looking in the $1200 range, I'd suggest scanning the classifieds for a used kit, and either sending the turbo out for a rebuild, or buying everything but the turbo, and buying an already rebuilt turbo (which is less than a new one but every bit as good).
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

lovinthevtec is an unknown quantity at this point

I had great gas mileage when I was boosted a few years back. I shouldn't have tuned it for 94 octane mind you, but the mileage itself was almost as it was when the car was stock. Reliability is an entirely different issue. I made it to the two year mark of daily driving / occasional track abuse before my little D17 gave up. Not bad for a stock motor with head studs / head gasket I guess.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

D17alltheway will become famous soon enough

you can start with buying my stuff in the FS thread....its a start.. but Boilermaker is right if your gonna cheap out i hope your doing 95% of the work and would know how to fab up your own stuff but other than that you'd have to settle with at least a 2500 budget and in most cases.. depending on goals... engine management isnt even included... but i heard from the guys who've made monster numbers... and if your gonna boost.. take your time and do it right the first time so that it becomes your only time
Old 10-09-2009
Registered!!

r6raven08 is an unknown quantity at this point

yall are stupid the turbo was designed originally to improve gas mileage along time ago not for tuners a tuner beafed hid up and started the revolution
Old 10-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

expect to spend 4500 for a decent turbo setup and another 4500 on repairs after the install as stuff starts to fall apart.