Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

GSR Swap help 94 del sol

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex Yoas is an unknown quantity at this point
GSR Swap help 94 del sol

First time doing any engine swap so I'll start with what ive done then where I am and what I want to learn to make this all correct.

Had a D15 in my del sol before swap took the pos and threw in my B18c1. I had a parts car I was getting some parts off of since the block was blown and the "parts" car was I believe OBD1 and the motor I bought to put in my car was again I believe was OBD2. so the parts car I got had wiring harness and OBD1 ecu so I decided to swap my OBD2 engine to OBD1 since the parts I had were that and my car was already OBD1 (Don't know if my car being OBD1 mattered)

So now my B18 is in and mounts are looking good.

Problem 1. I don't know where the positive cable to the battery was wired on the parts car since I took it all off. on my D15 its in the wiring harness but on my parts car harness it's not on the harness.... I cant even find my positive cable. suggestions and pics please.

Problem 2. My throttle cable I cant find out how to run this wire. I only have the stock one from my D15 but it seems a bit long but it does have a bracket that's attached to the driver side wheal well.

Problem 3. I have a cable from my wiring harness that doesn't have a plug in on the driver side. I also have one that would fit it on the passenger side. There are a few plug ins (male and female) that all fit these connections so my question is, if the male plug in is same in 2 areas does it matter what wire plugs into that female plug?

Please understand this is my first big project, I did this 90% to learn so if my question is simple or stupid take that into consideration.

Ill make a forum after its complete of all the pictures I've taken. once the motor is done and running I have plans for the rest of the car.

Old 12-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GSR Swap help 94 del sol

Pic fail.

Typical pos cable will go to starter and fusebox.

Throttle cable too long is not a problem....... Too short would be a problem.

Harness plug ,,, you may need to split the harness apart in order to move plug(s) from one side to the other to match up with the car. I did ONE swap several years ago (Integra motor into a 5th gen Civic) and had to do this, and from there it was plug and play (thank god LOL)
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Pic fail.

Harness plug ,,, you may need to split the harness apart in order to move plug(s) from one side to the other to match up with the car. I did ONE swap several years ago (Integra motor into a 5th gen Civic) and had to do this, and from there it was plug and play (thank god LOL)

Thanks for the help, that helps a lot. So if there is 2 male plugs that can fit in a female it doesn't matter which one I plug into it? If that's the case I might be able to move some the plugs around. The harness came off of another del sol like mine but the engine was I believe from a older gsr.

I might need to go to a junk yard for the positive cable and if the throttle being to long isn't an issue then I'm no to worried about those 2 issues thank you.
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

Pic fail.

Thanks for the help, that helps a lot. So if there is 2 male plugs that can fit in a female it doesn't matter which one I plug into it? If that's the case I might be able to move some the plugs around. The harness came off of another del sol like mine but the engine was I believe from a older gsr.

I might need to go to a junk yard for the positive cable and if the throttle being to long isn't an issue then I'm no to worried about those 2 issues thank you.

*edit* just took a look at it and I think the plug in on the passenger side goes to the o2 sensor on the exhaust. Does the wiring harness plug into the o2 sensor or does it plug into the engine?
Old 12-18-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Two identical.looking plugs all have different wires, you gotta get wire diagrams and verify what you have and wire colors match components before plugging it in.

Got pics of the plugs in question?
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

Two identical.looking plugs all have different wires, you gotta get wire diagrams and verify what you have and wire colors match components before plugging it in.

Got pics of the plugs in question?
I guess I needed a picture to show me I was wrong they wont fit together but I still don't know where they go. I guess I should look up a diagram ha I tried to label them as I took them off the parts car but obviously not well enough. and after moving the wires around the one on the passenger side wont reach the o2 sensor so now I have 2 wires I don't know where they go and a o2 sensor I don't know where to plug in haha. I doubt this will be a big issue once I find a diagram. any key words I should use to find a diagram?

I used this url for most of my information and from what it said is how I determined my parts motor was obd1 and my new motor was obd2. so if im correct would I need a diagram for obd1 wiring harness diagram?

http://honda-tech.com/hybrid-engine-...-swap-2976738/

hope my pictures load this time
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

I found this one Ill have to check the wires and see if the harness is the same tho but this one says its obd1

http://teamsolcal.com/forum/thread-19884.html
Old 12-18-2015

any key words I should use to find a diagram
Try a real service manual from Honda, a real site that should have reliable you need like Alldata or Mitchell. Your public library may have the online sources available.

I remember having to split the original engine harness open to relocate the O2 sensor plug to line up with the Integra sensor location during my swap too.

Some of the cars you can get TPS and MAP connectors swapped and it won't run worth a damn LOL. IDK if that's possible on yours but I've seen it more than once.
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

Sounds good, ill see about a manual when auto zone opens its almost 6am and I haven't gone to bed yet xD Ill update my post later if I run into a problem or figure it out.
Old 12-18-2015

I just realized I might be confusing parts of different jobs.....I've only seen like 40,000 cars since I did that Integra engine swap.
Old 12-24-2015
Registered!!

Kanjozoku is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill just make it easy, I can post a video how to do a engine swap into a EG/Delsol with a B Series motor, simple and easy... I can pull a dseries with a buddie out within 30 minutes, and pop a D within two hours... So why not, done a ton of these swaps...