Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

D16 Advice I Want it Faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Del_Jake_Sol is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation D16 Advice I Want it Faster

Hey guys im new to this site i thought it would help me out with my stressing problem. I just bought a 93 del sol a couple months ago with ngk wire set short ram intake its lowered with rims and magnaflow exhaust. Now i want to focus on performance a bit more. Ive discovered a problem with the tranny. Its grinding in first and second so i was gonna buy a new tranny but then started thinking should i do an engine and tranny swap for a vtec? What would be the best thing to do to my d16 on a very tight budget considering im paying for college. Like a cheap turbo or something because ive heard that the d16 are pretty quick stock obviously not competition comparable but still quick. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: D16 Advice I Want it Faster

Cheap turbo = ebay turbo kit with no tune = bad idea.

If your interested in forced induction on a budget then nitrous is really the best option, but constantly spraying routinely gets very expensive, very quickly. My suggestion would be building a hybrid engine, by either swapping a d16y8 or d15b head. I've said it many times before, engine building is a very expensive hobby, not ideal for a college student on a tight budget. There's a lot more to modding cars than just adding power though, and you're off to a great start with the mods you have on the del-sol. Welcome to the site.
Old 10-19-2011
Registered!!

so theres no other mods i can do like i dont even care that much would an ebay turbo help a bit? haha like ive won a couple races then theres those couple bastards that win which pisses me off which makes me want a faster car haha
Old 10-19-2011
Registered!!

like theres some guy at work and hes got a stock caddy sts newer with a v6 and hes like my car would kill urs and im like ya probably and walk away in shame haha
Old 10-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

An ebay turbo kit would destroy your engine and give only minor gains.
Old 10-19-2011
Registered!!

how would it destroy it tho lol if its tuned properly so that it wont blow the engine?
Old 10-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

There's a reason an ebay turbo kit is $400 and a greddy kit is $2500, the parts just aren't good quality. They fail and work inconsistently and the result is massive added stress on the engine, the turbos have a actually have a reputation for shearing fins off and blowing them into the charge pipes.