Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/241-engine-performance-modifications)
-   -   D16 Advice I Want it Faster (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/241-engine-performance-modifications/344478-d16-advice-i-want-faster.html)

Del_Jake_Sol 10-19-2011 12:00 AM

D16 Advice I Want it Faster

Hey guys im new to this site i thought it would help me out with my stressing problem. I just bought a 93 del sol a couple months ago with ngk wire set short ram intake its lowered with rims and magnaflow exhaust. Now i want to focus on performance a bit more. Ive discovered a problem with the tranny. Its grinding in first and second so i was gonna buy a new tranny but then started thinking should i do an engine and tranny swap for a vtec? What would be the best thing to do to my d16 on a very tight budget considering im paying for college. Like a cheap turbo or something because ive heard that the d16 are pretty quick stock obviously not competition comparable but still quick. Any ideas?

MindBomber 10-19-2011 12:13 AM

Re: D16 Advice I Want it Faster

Cheap turbo = ebay turbo kit with no tune = bad idea.

If your interested in forced induction on a budget then nitrous is really the best option, but constantly spraying routinely gets very expensive, very quickly. My suggestion would be building a hybrid engine, by either swapping a d16y8 or d15b head. I've said it many times before, engine building is a very expensive hobby, not ideal for a college student on a tight budget. There's a lot more to modding cars than just adding power though, and you're off to a great start with the mods you have on the del-sol. Welcome to the site.

Del_Jake_Sol 10-19-2011 12:21 AM

so theres no other mods i can do:( like i dont even care that much would an ebay turbo help a bit? haha like ive won a couple races then theres those couple bastards that win which pisses me off which makes me want a faster car haha

Del_Jake_Sol 10-19-2011 12:24 AM

like theres some guy at work and hes got a stock caddy sts newer with a v6 and hes like my car would kill urs and im like ya probably and walk away in shame haha

MindBomber 10-19-2011 12:28 AM

An ebay turbo kit would destroy your engine and give only minor gains.

Del_Jake_Sol 10-19-2011 12:52 AM

how would it destroy it tho lol if its tuned properly so that it wont blow the engine?

MindBomber 10-19-2011 01:17 AM

There's a reason an ebay turbo kit is $400 and a greddy kit is $2500, the parts just aren't good quality. They fail and work inconsistently and the result is massive added stress on the engine, the turbos have a actually have a reputation for shearing fins off and blowing them into the charge pipes.