Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Caliper Again? Banjo Bolt? Stuck Clutch Pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanHalenRules is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New Caliper Again? Banjo Bolt? Stuck Clutch Pedal?

So, quick history on my car... In 2018 I bought my 1994 civic from a friend, and it was sitting in his driveway for like 6 months (parked during the winter). It's a hatchback (bubble) with a b-18 swap just for extra info. I noticed the parking brake didn't engage when I pulled the lever, so eventually I took the rear calipers off and found out that the pistons in the parking brake were both seized up with rust, but the rest of the calipers were perfectly fine and the regular brakes worked. I got new calipers a couple years ago, but as I was putting them on, the banjo bolts weren't going into the caliper very easily when I had the brake hose connected to the banjo bolts. The right caliper turned out to not be too bad, as I finally got it on there, but will see if it leaks when it's all completed. The left caliper however, the threads for the banjo bolt were destroyed so bad, and the banjo bolt itself got torn up in the process. So I've been wondering if there is a way to fix the threads on the caliper, and maybe I just get a new banjo bolt? Or should I completely buy a new caliper? What if the caliper doesn't come with a banjo bolt? Also I noticed that the new caliper, which is an exact replica of the old ones has a shorter banjo bolt, and has bigger holes than the old ones... does that matter? What if I buy a new caliper and the banjo bolts on the new caliper turn out to be incorrect, and how would I know if that's the case? Another thing, since I've had the calipers off the car for a while, even though now the right one is on... the car has leaked out the brake fluid and has been sitting like that for quite a long time. I went out to the civic last night and it seems the clutch pedal sticks when I push it in now, is that tied to the brake line, and would that be fixed when the calipers are done and the brake lines are bled? Would I need a new clutch or brake cylinder? I don't have much money atm to spend, so I am trying to fix whatever parts are on the car if I can. It would be a shame to waste 60-120$ on calipers because of one freaking little bolt hole.

Old 04-20-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: New Caliper Again? Banjo Bolt? Stuck Clutch Pedal?

Get new calipers and banjo bolts.
clutch pedal is separate from the brake system, different issue there
Old 01-06-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanHalenRules is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Caliper Again? Banjo Bolt? Stuck Clutch Pedal?

Ok now the question is, how do I know which banjo bolts I need? I am ordering new calipers, but they are likely going to send them with either no banjo bolts or the same ones I got with the last calipers which did not fit in the civic brake hose because they were too short (which I figured out is the reason I stripped the threads). I tried looking up civic banjo bolts for both the stock front disc brake calipers and the stock rear drum brake ones and can't find them anywhere. Is my only option to just bring the old banjo bolts to autozone or something? A reminder, the car is a 1994 civic hatchback dx with b18b1 swap and integra rear disc brake swap.

Last edited by VanHalenRules; 01-06-2022 at 03:46 AM.