Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

New Caliper Question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002civic1.7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb New Caliper Question!!!

my brakes stick, both fronts mostly on the driver side, back seem to be fine (not 100%) no heat is felt tho.... i was wondering!!

what i think is happening- caliper is grabbing a little bit, once used a few times they heat up which causes them to stick even more

in this case it would be calipers and the rubber hoses that i would need??

--how easy should a caliper piston slide back into the caliper???
(i had them off, pushing them out with air, ***SOMETIMES*** its a 2 hand job to push it in, other times its a 1 finger job, on both sides) i have only replaced pads, calipers, 1 rubber hose, and vacuum is ok, rotors are kinda warped but i hate to put new ones on and warp them the same day. the calipers i had before these new ones, worked perfectly with a seized slider bolt (wish i had of kept them, they gave me back $180 for bringing the old ones back, to be refurbished???)

--Anyone ever get a new caliper that sticks??? i lubed it with cam lube from napa ($30 for 8oz., rated at 325 degrees celcius, waste of money) it worked mint for 2 days and on my way to school that monday they started to stick so i pulled over (still able to coast in Neutral) after about 5-10 minutes they were stuck on worse then when i pulled over, able to move but to go anywhere it HAS to be in 1st gear!!!...so i wait longer and eventually 20-30min they free up.. i'm getting new calipers tomorrow, i told buddy at the shop hes taking the ones he sold me back, and giving me new ones, free of charge so i might as well try it....

each time i have had my calipers off or bleed the system (about 30 times now) it seems to work "ok" for a day, 2 days at the max and they will start to stick again. when i loosen the bleeder valve off on the calipers they seem to let the pressure off, and when i loosened the MC1 line off the abs they seemed to let the pressure off to

the rubber diaphragm on my brake reservoir seems too big for the cap, every time i put the cap on there is always a flap of rubber sticking out, and the cover comes off easy (with one finger, like turning on a light switch x5, the cover will pop off on one side). how tight i have to put the cover on, makes me wonder if its venting properly

the reason i am ***NOT*** taking this to the dealer is because i spent everyday for 2 months looking for this problem (why give up now???), and chances are they are just gonna replace parts untill they stop sticking, or keep my car till its fixed..
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Caliper Question!!!

have you checked you vacuum line to the brake booster?
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

coy1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Caliper bolt

Hey gang I just bought a 2005 honda civic lx and I need help!!. I tried to change the front brake pads. the top caliper bolt came off fine but the bottom bolt just turned and I tried the other side same thing like the threads is stripped. any idea of how i can get the caliper out? Thanks
Old 08-14-2011
Registered!!

bryan11 is an unknown quantity at this point

When changing the front pads on a 2003 Civic, the lower bolt acted like it was stripped. Looking closely, I found a square 'nut' underneath the 10mm bolt. When I held that nut in place with a wrench, I was able to loosen the bolt and remove the caliper.
Old 08-19-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

The brake fluid could have boiled and messed up the seals in the master cylinder. I've seen that happen before.

Also, I have had a defective "new" caliper from places like autozone, o'reilleys, etc. before, but not where they were seized, it was a faulty piston seal causing them to leak.

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ZFreak
The brake fluid could have boiled and messed up the seals in the master cylinder. I've seen that happen before.
How would boiling the brake fluid mess up the seals in the master cylinder?
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

2002civic1.7 is an unknown quantity at this point

found my problem, the diaphram in the master cyl. swelled up, from me handling it with bare hands all the time. didn't think nothing of it but all i had to do was take the cap off when they started stick, that's what caused the calipers to stick.

keep up on your brake fluid changes!! and always use rubber gloves when handling gaskets or anything rubber on the brake system!!

spinning will be normal, get a real good quality grease, i use marine grade grease on my guide pins, just make sure those suckers dont rust!!! and tip of the day, when changing pads just loosen the top caliper bolt, fully remove the bottom bolt and just wiggle back and forth untill you can flip the whole caliper up. saves trying to hang it on something or trying to hold it in one hand. i made plugs for my brake hoses, they are normal hose just big enough to fit through the bango part of the brake line. 2x - 1" pieces of what ever size hose fits, 2x - bolt that fit inside the hose, 4x - washers, 2x - nuts. tighten untill it stops driping!!!
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

coy1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Gang I haven't had a chance to reply sooner on my post. I end up not replacing the pads at the time. Thanks for the input I will try again sometime this wkend and look for the nut. Hopefully I will be able to change my front break pads. I'm a newbie to the forum he he, I love my car by the way so far I put an after market header with cat back N1 with MSR 17's wheels. I do have a question? it didn't come with the donut gasket so I bought a size 2.50. I ordered it on line which I already recieved and installed it. I think its a bit to big fits fine on the header inside diameter but the outside diameter is a bit big I think one that hooks to the pipe. I should of gotten the 2.25?. I do smile like its got exhaust leak when i open the door. should i but a 2.25 size? what do u guys think I got to find out how to post pix of my car to share to everyone. again thanks